Using PKHeX: Loading and Saving

The exact usage for PKHeX may vary slightly depending on which game you're editing, but much of the UI is the same across games.

Loading Pokémon Data

To edit Pokémon data in a save file, follow these steps.

1. Use File -> Open
    image.png
  2. Browse to the save you want to edit. You can either choose a save file or a Pokémon file. If you open a Pokémon file (*.pkm, *.pk7, *.pk6, etc.), the tabs on the right will immediately show the Pokémon data, and you can proceed to the next section after optionally making changes.
  3. If you chose to open a save file, you should now see your PC box to the right. You can use the drop-down or the ">>" or "<<" buttons to change boxes, or click the "Party-Battle Box" tab to see your party.
    image.png
  4. Choose the Pokémon you want to edit, right-click it, and click "View".
    image.png

The tabs on the left should now show the Pokémon you chose.

Saving your changes

When you've finished editing your Pokémon to your liking, it's time to save those changes. You can do this either by saving the data to your save file, or by saving them to a Pokémon file. If you loaded a Pokémon file in the first section, "Loading Pokémon Data", saving a Pokémon file is your only option.

To save your changes to the save file:

1. Right-Click a slot on the right and click "Set".
    image.png
    You do not have to choose the same slot you loaded from if you don't want to. This is actually a way to clone Pokémon if you so desire.
  2. When you're finished editing your save data, export the save file by using File -> Export SAV... -> Export main
    image.png

If you want to save just the Pokémon in the tabs on the left, click File -> Save PKM...

image.png

View full tutorial

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
39 minutes ago, luffy1616 said:

When ever I save the changes...it doesnt seem to change anything in game. I load the save through the main menu and it doesnt change anything

hmmm, millions of users all use PKHeX just fine, and you claim it can't work. I wonder what is at fault here.

2 hours ago, dior48 said:

im unable to open any saves from pkhex cos when i export back up im only able to save it as all files or sav4pt. even if i only try saving it without editing anything

Based on what your said, you are playing platinum.

It will save as a .sav, but PKHeX will recognize it to be sav4pt.
BTW what do you mean "unable to open any saves from pkhex", you mean unable to load the modified saves in an emulator?

11 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

Based on what your said, you are playing platinum.

It will save as a .sav, but PKHeX will recognize it to be sav4pt.
BTW what do you mean "unable to open any saves from pkhex", you mean unable to load the modified saves in an emulator?

Yeah I am on platinum, yeah so when I export the pkhex file it only lets me save it as “all files” or “sav4pt”, even if I don’t modify or touch anything, am I not meant to be able to load the export from pkhex to my emulator?

6 hours ago, dior48 said:

Yeah I am on platinum, yeah so when I export the pkhex file it only lets me save it as “all files” or “sav4pt”, even if I don’t modify or touch anything, am I not meant to be able to load the export from pkhex to my emulator?

What emulator are you using? What format are you trying to obtain?

2 minutes ago, dior48 said:

Desume, I’m pretty sure it will only read .sav files 

a) If you rename it .dsv during the exporting process, it should save as a .dsv

b) Desmume actually accepts .sav files. Hello, did you not realize the exporting process made a .sav file? (That's the exact format you claimed to have wanted. Though, I do know Desmume directly deals with .dsv, so you're kinda wrong in that declaration)

c) I did say Desmume actually accepts .sav file. I don't know which version of the emulator you're on, but it's an option that is similarly named to this one (to import .sav):
image.png

On 2/22/2021 at 7:39 PM, theSLAYER said:

a) If you rename it .dsv during the exporting process, it should save as a .dsv

b) Desmume actually accepts .sav files. Hello, did you not realize the exporting process made a .sav file? (That's the exact format you claimed to have wanted. Though, I do know Desmume directly deals with .dsv, so you're kinda wrong in that declaration)

c) I did say Desmume actually accepts .sav file. I don't know which version of the emulator you're on, but it's an option that is similarly named to this one (to import .sav):
image.png

So I export the emulator save, put it on pkhex, once I export it I’ve seen everyone else in videos, they export from pkhex as “.sav” but mine only lets me do “sav4pt” and the emulator doesn’t read or let me open that. I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong or I’m not meant to be able to

1 hour ago, dior48 said:

So I export the emulator save, put it on pkhex, once I export it I’ve seen everyone else in videos, they export from pkhex as “.sav” but mine only lets me do “sav4pt” and the emulator doesn’t read or let me open that. I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong or I’m not meant to be able to

nevermind i redownloaded the emulator and it worked, thanks 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, dariomarbau said:

Doesn't look like a sav.
Capture2.PNG

Also, sharing of ROMs is against our rules. Please read our rules next time.

Also, based on that first line, I imagine your No$ Settings are wrong.
Open the NO$GBA.ini file with notepad, ensure this is change to Raw
image.png

(and if you're absolutely sure this line doesn't exist, add it in)

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, HoboJesus111 said:

im quite new to this, and i want to know if its possible to edit pokemon from a SD card. and if so then how to find the save files. im quite a noob, never done this stuff before, and honestly, i just want an arceus and a mew.

You need Custom Firmware (CFW) installed on your 3DS or at least a way to run homebrew to access your save files. They are encrypted so direct access is impossible.

Check the guide below about how to manage your 3DS save files.

hi, I'm having problem whit "open file", I'm playing emerald kaizo and the emulator is VBAm 2.1.4, when i try to open the save PKhex say "binary is not compatible whit save file. current save generation: 3" . I really don't know whick is the problem, thinking that 5 milion people haven't got problem and it was only my fault i've tried more than 2 hours but whitout results