Cloning

amh7912

Does anyone else know about the cloning glitch in emerald? I use it plenty to clone my ho-oh and shiny Fearow, and people trade for them plenty. Its quite helpful.

If you don't know how to clone you just have a box with an open slot and make that box the active one. Then you have the Pokemon you want cloned in your party and go to the battle tower. Then save. Then deposit the Pokemon you wish to clone. Then save again. Now withdraw the Pokemon. Now go to the multi battle lady(far right). Enter with any Pokemon. When she asks If its okay to save say yes. You should notice a gap between that and the next message. Shut your system off, then turn it back on. You should have the Pokemon in both the box and your party. (I have heard that if you do this consecutively you will lose all the clones, so go outside and save when you turn it back on. Also trade a clone off to another game, as anything can happen at any time.)

Edited by amh7912
clarification

Does anyone else know about the cloning glitch in emerald? I use it plenty to clone my ho-oh and shiny Fearow, and people trade for them plenty. Its quite helpful.

If you don't know how to clone you just have a box with an open slot and make that box the active one. Then you have the Pokemon you want cloned in your party and go to the battle tower. Then save. Then deposit the Pokemon you wish to clone. Then save again. Now withdraw the Pokemon. Now go to the multi battle lady(far right). Enter with any Pokemon. When she asks If its okay to save say yes. You should notice a gap between that and the next message. Shut your system off, then turn it back on. You should have the Pokemon in both the box and your party. (I have heard that if you do this consecutively you will lose all the clones, so go outside and save when you turn it back on. Also trade a clone off to another game, as the battery in emerald can die.)

This is pretty well known in the Pokemon community. What exactly did you mean about the Emerald battery dying. Are you saying cloning is the REASON for that happening because I'm pretty sure that isn't why a battery would die out.

• 1 month later...

No, I was not saying that it is the cause, all batterys die, and games get lost, so I think its best to have a copy of all your good/rare/event pokemon on all games possible. Obviously (and rather disappointingly) you can't have clones of the Arceus or any 4th gen pokemon this way, but I once managed to pull off the wi-fi cloning glitch, and you can try(if your willing to risk it.)

Game batteries just don't magically die. I have tons of Gameboy fat games purchased back when they were originally released that still work.

The only Pokemon games released that had battery issues were the Gen II Gold/Silver. And the problem isn't the battery being "dead", because games still work. It's just save files might get erased and you can't save again.

I've never heard of any of the 3rd gen games having an issue with still working due to the battery.

I heard that the save files didn't work because of dead batterys in those, and have personally bought a Zelda game with said problem. There are also design flaws in everything, as no company has the time to check each individual product. As said before, you can also lose the game, and there is always the chance of it falling into an unsavory location... Basically, if possible without risks, you should clone anything of value.

I heard that the save files didn't work because of dead batterys in those,

In the Gold/Silver games, yes. In other Pokemon games, no. Any problem with a cartridge is much more likely due to poor care on part of the owner, or purchasing a bootleg, than the quality of the cart itself.

There are also design flaws in everything, as no company has the time to check each individual product.

The carts are manufactured in mass quantities. It is extremely unlikely that only a few carts would have problems and 99% of the others from the same pressing would be fine.

These games aren't supposed to last FOREVER. But since I can easily find Pokemon games of all gens that work (again, except G/S), anybody experience problems with carts probably took poor care of it.

My sapphire had to be reinserted multiple times for the GBA to read it for the first few months after I bought it new. Eventually it stopped doing that and worked. Then I went to the event at a certain space center and the lady, without even trying to put it in, blew into my cartridge. I should have made a scene, but didn't, and it was even more impossible to load than ever for the next few months. Fortunately Deoxys came off working, along with the Latis and Tyranitar(I don't think xD was out then, so I beleive that was the only way to get one then) and I cloned them all. So poor care means handing a game to ANYONE, even an event worker. The odds of failure can be .000000000001%, and with all the games made, you can still have multiple failures made.

You are insisting that cartridges can just magically fail. That's false.

The facts are this: G/S have battery issues that will prevent saves from being made. No other Pokemon games have any reported defects.

If your game honestly was defective, Nintendo has been very good with their warrantty's even replacing it way beyond it's extension.

I am not in any way shape or form implying magic. Except that Nintendo doesn't have the ability to magically make all their products perfect, while everyone else suffers defects. And the warranty never seemed to cross my mind those years back, don't know why... But warrantys are how they deal with the defects. It doesn't really matter does it? Shouldn't you still keep multiple copies of what you like as a precaution?

I am not in any way shape or form implying magic. Except that Nintendo doesn't have the ability to magically make all their products perfect, while everyone else suffers defects.

Ok ,I'll try this one more time:

Game cartridges are not made individually. They are made en masse. Like, hundreds of thousands all at the same time.

For example, the initial pressing of Japanese D/P had a few pretty big glitches such as Ditto being able to keep moves that it copies during Transform, and the E4 Surf Glitch allowing you to capture Darkrai and Shaymin. These only existed in the initial pressing because, presumably, officials caught wind of the glitches and fixed them so that later pressings don't have them.

A more recent example is a defect in some baby strollers that caused severed fingers in a dozen or so cases (source). One million were recalled likely because they were made around the same time with the same materials, and if there's a problem with some, there's a problem with all.

It's nearly impossible that just YOUR 3rd gen Pokemon game is defective due to it's manufacturing. You're more likely to win the lottery tomorrow. It's far more likely that you or someone else took poor care of it. Because somehow, millions of others were pressed, likely from the same plant yours came from, using the same materials and the same workers working the machines, and they made it out fine.

I have several dozen Gameboy fat and GBA games that work fine, some of which have been put through nothing short of hot cars out in humid weather with no shade.

Shouldn't you still keep multiple copies of what you like as a precaution?

I guess? I'm not arguing about cloning. But your claim that your game is/was defective due to it's manufacturing is, at best, unprovable. At worse, a lie.

Unproveable yes, and I realize they are made the same, and usually we only get wind of the major glitches. I have been through an engineering class and heard numerous accounts saying that this is how the manufacturing proccess works: After unknown amount of preperation is done to prevent defects and the line is up and mass producing they do tests on specific products to ensure that the quality is good, that machine parts haven't worn out, etc, etc. This is done because individually testing each unit would require unreasonable time, labor, and money. So through this they guarantee that virtually all products are flawless, and most are, but there is no way it is possible that there is not at some point, in some part of the process, one of the millions and millions of games happens to get through with a minor defect like a bubble in one of the chemical mixes or a glitch in the code, or something. It is due to this mass production that the flaw is bound to occur. If you do not beleive me ask someone involved in the production.

• 1 month later...

Now that's an exhausting thing. I've first done the item and pokemon cloning in my silver. i first tried it with lugia because i let it hold the masterball for a while then cloned it. But i find it very silly cloning a legendary pokemon so there could be many(i can't use them all dammit). so even up to now i don't put more than one legendary of the same(like two Mews) in my game except if i have to generate another one so i can send it to someone.

I like to have six of each valuable on my Diamond. If I find a shiny and someone wants the Pokemon Ive cloned then I can trade, and I can trade multiple times before having to get more. Also with shiny clones I can ask for whatever. Like a low level Mew for SS when it comes out. Also I would advise not cloning too much in G/S/C because someone cloned so many times all their clones just vanished for some reason.

I would like to jump in here saying that I did buy an Emerald version from Game Stop in which the "internal battery [had] run dry." No time-based events could occur. Yes, the game would still play and save, but the tides didn't work, and the berries didn't grow, and if I didn't pick the remaining ones, they dropped off and died out. Google it. "Internal battery has run dry." My game was legit from Nintendo, not a hacked game or a rom loaded onto a cart. I bought it from Game Stop. It was the first of a few products thereafter that I later discovered did not work properly. Game stop replaced the subsequent games, but my brother decided it would be funny to wash Emerald version down the sewer grate while it was raining. He did it on purpose too.... Evil little thing...