ROM editing make your own area?

Well... creating new areas.... Roland answered it.

BUT. Redesigning an area to be unrecognizable and completely different? Yes.

You'll need some mapping skillz for that. And for trainers? You need some scripting skillz.

Never bothered with it myself, I'm just a spriter. But that's hard enough work.. you'd be spending months working on what you want (unless its crappy and basic, then it'll take less time).

Well... I agree and disagree with that.

If you were skilled enough, you could alter the game so that a new map shows up and edit an already existing make to make a warp or door or something that leads to your new map. Editing NARC files ftw! The problem is that this would take an extreme amount of effort to do.

If I were you, I'd look into the empty spaces on maps. There are sooooooo many places where the map is just blank and un-filled, usually a spot to the side of a house because houses are so small that they have map room to spare. Of course, any new map you make would be small, but would be really cool and appealing to people becuase it would be completely original.

Like they said earlier, you can edit right over top of an existing map. This is easier than most other methods when you are actually making the map, but, the problem is that you loose your old map that was there before. Also, when other maps have doors, boats, passages, etc that lead to where you are editing, you would have to find ant cut them all off. That is where the real toughness comes in, because warps and transportations are much harder to work with than the physical layout of the map.

All in all, editing a Pokemon game map is tough no matter which path you choose. But, it is not impossible! If it was impossible then how did Nintendo do it?