Ultra Beast Invasion

jojo12100

According to Shigeru Ohmori UB are based on the idea of invasive species.

We actually know the references for some of them but we're still missing some.

So if you have any idea feel free to comment ^^

What we know:

-Nihilego is based on Phyllorhiza punctata an invasive species of Hawai (jellyfish)

-Buzzwole is based on Aedes albopictus  an invasive mosquito

-Pheromosa is based on Periplaneta americana an invasive cockroach

-Celesteela is based on Princess Kaguya from the Japanese legend The Tale of the Bamboo Culture (it is known as the first historical mention of an alien)

-Guzzlord is clearly based on black holes

-Poipole is nearly an occidental representation of an alien mixed with a larva of wasp

-Naganadel (especially clear when shiny) is based on Vespa velutina an invasive hornet

The ones unclear:

-Kartana (known as a deity in the game, based on origami/katana ???) Can be a criticism of humanity destroying nature and deiting himself?

-Blacephalon (???)

-Xurkitree (live in jungles, electric tree)

-Stakataka (I know everyone thinks about Trump wall but it reminds me Block Bots from the seventh movie (based on Rayquaza vs Deoxys)) Can be a criticism of nanobots

Any idea?

Edited by jojo12100

The idea of it being invasive species (UBs invade Alola) doesn't mean every UB is based on an invasive species from our world.

still it sounds fun so I'm just gonna spitball:

1. Kartana is certainly based on origami.
While it means "folding paper", the word gami can also be punned into meaning "God". Items becoming dieties or lesser demons in Japanese culture isn't uncommon. Maybe it signifies the man's might create a powerful enough weapon that can be revered, and it has the potential to wipe all of us out?

2. Speaking of Japanese culture, Blacephalon looks like possessed Japanese Tanabata lanterns that are hung during, well, Tanabata. Possession = Ghost, lanterns = Fire, seems to make sense doesn't it?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

The idea of it being invasive species (UBs invade Alola) doesn't mean every UB is based on an invasive species from our world.

No of course but they should be relative I guess. It's kinda weird that we can't find any evidence about Zurkitree for example.

Oh and I forgot:

-Necrozma is clearly based on black darf and neutron stars. Dusk Mane is based on solar eclipse while Dawn Wings is based on lunar eclipse. Ultra Necrozma is based on giant stars/supernovae. It's the one which brought Z-Cristals to Alola.

-Cosmog is a molecular cloud

-Cosmovem is based on the idea of world egg

-Solgaleo is the lion eating the sun from alchemistry

-Lunala is kinda uncertain too about invasion maybe Pe'a-pe'a-makawalu ?

Edited by jojo12100

3 minutes ago, smileynation said:

I'm Japanese.

-Blacephalon

blast + cephalo-Head prefix

JPN: ズガドーン (Zu-ga-doon)

頭(Head: Zu)が、ドーン!(Doon: onomatopoeia

yeah, that's the reason behind the naming, but I think we're more interesting in the reasoning behind it's design XD

50 minutes ago, jojo12100 said:

It's kinda weird that we can't find any evidence about Zurkitree for example.

I still think Xurkitree is based on Christmas lights + christmas tree.

It's limbs look like wires, it's "fingers/toes" looks like a two-pin plug, has white "bulb-like" structures that light up along it's body,
and it's head is either a giant star or a giant bulb.

Additionally, there are Fungi that has bio-luminescence, and I think some biologists classify certain fungi as an invasive species.

53 minutes ago, jojo12100 said:

-Necrozma is clearly based on black darf and neutron stars. Dusk Mane is based on solar eclipse while Dawn Wings is based on lunar eclipse. Ultra Necrozma is based on giant stars/supernovae. It's the one which brought Z-Cristals to Alola.

-Cosmog is a molecular cloud

-Cosmovem is based on the idea of world egg

-Solgaleo is the lion eating the sun from alchemistry

-Lunala is kinda uncertain too about invasion maybe Pe'a-pe'a-makawalu ?

These sound bulbapedia-esque to me XD

Well, a Giant Star collapsing into a Neutron Star makes sense to me.
Wouldn't call it invasive, unless we're talking about star systems merging, and we happen to be caught into the bright bursts of radiation between 2 stars ><

@theSLAYER You're right there are some bioluminescent fungi. I'm searching around the 75 of them if there is one with blue bioluminiscence and invasive ^^

Edit: There is one actually invasive in Hawai called Ceratocystis fimbriata but it s not bioluminiscent.

I found few blue bioluminscent fungii (most of them are green) : Roridomyces roridus ; Panellus stipticus ...

I also read that scientist are trying to create bioluminescent trees for city lighting. That and the fact the Pokemon can manipulate electricity. Is it a criticism of our modern society (kinda remember me Kartana)? Invasion of GMO?

Now what about Blacephalon? What kind of invasion can it represent?

Edited by jojo12100
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jojo12100 said:

I also read that scientist are trying to create bioluminescent trees for city lighting. That and the fact the Pokemon can manipulate electricity. Is it a criticism of our modern society (kinda remember me Kartana)? Invasion of GMO?

I thought that it was cool that they're doing that, but who knows. maybe the trees will be everywhere, and we'll never see the stars ever again.

1 hour ago, jojo12100 said:

Now what about Blacepheon? What kind of invasion can it represent?

I still think it's Tanabata lanterns.
Maybe hanging too much fire-lit lanterns is a fire hazard, and the fire will invade pervade and burn everything down? XD

Stakakataka always reminded me of the saying, “the sum is greater than its parts” since it’s made of a bunch of little creatures that make up the UB.  So with that in mind maybe it represent the opposite of invasion and is actually a wall, but more like the Great Wall of China the perverted China from being invaded.  Because one of its little creatures isn’t doing anything on its own just like if a wall had only one brick, but when all of the creatures assemble To make Stakataka then the creatures can actually protect themselves just like a wall.

However, to keep true to the theme of invasive species maybe it could be representing nanotechnology were one namobot can’t do much on its only, but when there is a lot of them then they can be effective.  Or another veiw could be how a wall invades on nature and destroys it in order to divide the land.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

1. Kartana is certainly based on origami.
While it means "folding paper", the word gami can also be punned into meaning "God". Items becoming dieties or lesser demons in Japanese culture isn't uncommon. Maybe it signifies the man's might create a powerful enough weapon that can be revered, and it has the potential to wipe all of us out?

That's also supported by its Japanese name, Kamitsurugi (カミツルギ). I'm seeing that kami written as 紙 means "paper" while kami written as 神 means "deity" or "God". "Tsurugi" written as 剣 means "sword". So it could either mean "paper sword" or "deity/God sword". Or maybe even "paper deity/God sword". Hard to say, really.

I'm also seeing "kartana" is Sanskrit for "cutting" (written as कर्तन), which is also a fitting meaning. It should also be noted that Kartana is currently the only Pokemon that learns Cut by level up, and many of its other level up moves involve cutting or slashing (Air Cutter, Razor Leaf and Sacred Sword to name a few). Man, GameFreak REALLY thought this out. And some fans say they're running out of ideas. :XD:

Edited by Invader TAK
  • Like 1