What happens when you hack in illegal z-moves?

CryHaddock

I like making extremely broken and illegal Pokemon to troll the Battle Tree with.  I last did this in Gen 6 so I'm brushing up on the new toys that have arrived since then.  I'm a bit confused about what happens if I hack z-moves into movesets.

As I understand it, the ordinary z-moves that do variable damage (like Breakneck Blitz) technically work but have a base power of 1.
What about the species-exclusive ones (which have set damage)?  If I hack Clangorous Soulblaze on a Snorlax, does it do 185 damage, 1 damage, or refuse to activate at all?

How about Extreme Evoboost - or other Z-status moves like Z-Celebrate?  Will they work fine if I hack them into a Snorlax or is there some barrier to using them?

And does it ever make a difference to put the correct Z-crystal on the Pokemon?

Many thanks for info

27 minutes ago, CryHaddock said:

I like making extremely broken and illegal Pokemon to troll the Battle Tree with.  I last did this in Gen 6 so I'm brushing up on the new toys that have arrived since then.  I'm a bit confused about what happens if I hack z-moves into movesets.

As I understand it, the ordinary z-moves that do variable damage (like Breakneck Blitz) technically work but have a base power of 1.
What about the species-exclusive ones (which have set damage)?  If I hack Clangorous Soulblaze on a Snorlax, does it do 185 damage, 1 damage, or refuse to activate at all?

How about Extreme Evoboost - or other Z-status moves like Z-Celebrate?  Will they work fine if I hack them into a Snorlax or is there some barrier to using them?

And does it ever make a difference to put the correct Z-crystal on the Pokemon?

Many thanks for info

"Hack in" in what sense? Modify the rom to allow other mons to use the z-move?

Have the move show-up in their moveset?
Capture.PNG

31 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

"Hack in" in what sense? Modify the rom to allow other mons to use the z-move?

Have the move show-up in their moveset?
Capture.PNG

It would just be adding the move to their moveset, anything more complicated is more meddling than I'm comfortable with. 
Basically I want to know if, when I add the move like in this picture, does it actually end up being useful in battle

Edited by CryHaddock

2 minutes ago, CryHaddock said:

It would just be adding the move to their moveset, anything more complicated is more meddling than I'm comfortable with. 
Basically I want to know if, when I add the move like in this picture, does it actually end up being useful in battle

I've tried with Ash-Pika's Z move to a Ash-Pika, and it appears that the attack did the full damage, just that the animation didn't play. (that was back in SM)

Not sure if it's the same with other Z moves, or in USUM.

On 16 March 2018 at 10:59 AM, AdenTheThird said:

I'm actually in the opposite situation. I don't care about damage, but I really want the animations (for exclusive z moves). How do I do so?

I'm not too sure really. I'm assuming in one of the important data files, probably governs whitelist of Pokemon that can use specific z moves

The most helpful thing I've found right now says to swap the pokemon models. This is done with PK3ds, but I'm not sure if I can use it because I have Homebrew and HANS, but not CFW(though I really want it). Is it possible or no? Or can I possibly use braindump to do it somehow? I'm still a very novice hacker, so I apologize for my poor knowledge of terms.

@AdenTheThird please don't multipost. You can edit your original post to add in what you wanna say.

11 hours ago, AdenTheThird said:

I don't have Luma or CFW, but I do have Homebrew, HANS, and braindump. Can I still do it?

I think HANs might allow overlayed booting.

4 hours ago, AdenTheThird said:

wait can I use Ohama3ds without CFW and will it work with this?

Ohana3DS can't be used to edit the personal file.

19 hours ago, AdenTheThird said:

Okay, thanks and I'm sorry for multiposting. I'm new and didn't see the edit button. I guess the only thing I need to know now is how to extract .garc files, edit them, and redeposit them.  

There are a number of tutorials on YouTube for HANS. Just know that you can't use HANS for Gen 7 games without a New 3DS due to Old 3DS' extended memory mode, which is used by HANS. A basic tl;dr is as follows...

- dump game with Braindump as a CXI file
- extract contents (preferably using ctrtool, command listed at the bottom of this post will do everything you need it to)
- open data with pk3DS, use Personal Editor to change any species' Z-Move, Z-Item, and Base Move that turns into said Z-Move
- rebuild RomFS binary with pk3DS
- load the rebuilt RomFS with HANS and enjoy the changes

Videos of this in practice can be found here (posted by me so I can vouch for the legitimacy):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T_s0Kzc4Zo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFOXV9bs_q4

ctrtool command (dumps RomFS data to 'romfs' directory, dumps ExeFS data to 'exe' directory; automatically decompresses code.bin):

ctrtool --exefsdir=exe --romfsdir=romfs game.cxi

'game.cxi' can be replaced with whatever your CXI file is named, or you can rename it to game.cxi.

Hope this helps :)