[Bug Report] Legality issue

BloodBird

I started playing the game Japanese emerald and picked Treecko as starting Pokemon. and I opened the save file in PKHeX to check the IV, but PKHeX says Treecko is illegal. even I did not make any edits.

I am using PKHeX 20180128 version and use the Korean language. Here I attach Treecko pkm file, save file, and snapshot of when I opened the save file.

Oh, my Treecko defeated Zigzagoon and Poochyena while moving from Littleroot town to Oldale Town. That's why experience and effort value.

1111.png.65c5fab0452626de9bb07ae38d4c58bb.png

252 - キモリ - 63A0E6CC02EB.pk3

Pocket Monsters - Emerald (Japan).sav

Edited by BloodBird

This is interesting. Typically Gen 3 starters are generated using method 1, but this was generated using method 4.

Invalid: Encounter Type PID mismatch.
===

Valid Move 1: Learned by Level-up.
Valid Move 2: Learned by Level-up.
Valid Move 3: Empty Move.
Valid Move 4: Empty Move.

Valid: Valid gift/static encounter.
Valid: Nickname matches species name.
Valid: Current level is not below met level.
Valid: All ribbons accounted for.
Valid: Ability matches ability number.
Valid: Correct ball for encounter type.
Valid: Gender matches PID.
Valid: Nature matches PID.
===

Encounter Type: Static Encounter (Treecko)
Origin Seed: 68FB931F
PID Type: Method_4

It's a legit PID/IV combo:

001.png

My guess is that PKHex is marking it illegal due to the method 4 PID/IV generation. If you change it to method 1 (changing the IVs, keeping PID the same, it's marked legal (see attached file).

I haven't got a Japanese game to test this further I'm afraid.

252 - キモリ - 5AA4E6CC02EB.pk3

Edited by gclarke86

3 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

@BloodBird I'll like to know some details.

You playing on an emulator? on NDS? on gba? gba micro? using flashcart?
Did anything different from standard gameplay?

@Sabresite are there known cases of this happening?

I played through the emulator VBA 1.7.2.

However, there is no difference from standard game play. I don't have any cheat list, played rom is a clean Japanese version emerald.

11 minutes ago, BloodBird said:

I played through the emulator VBA 1.7.2.

However, there is no difference from standard game play. I don't have any cheat list, played rom is a clean Japanese version emerald.

This was explained to me some time back

"The reason for Method 3 and 4 is because of vBlank.
vBlank is an async function that executes every 60th visual frame to render new graphics and is responsible for animation.

So fishing or caves, where there is screen movement has a higher vBlank rate.
There is at least 1, sometimes 2 vBlanks depending on how many PIDs roll. And where the vBlanks start depends on the circumstance."

I'm wondering if playing on an emulator (or maybe the settings) affected the vblank.
Or maybe it is because Prof Birch was being chased and the PID roll hit that particular frame.
Maybe you rotated many times in starter selection?

As mentioned above, Method 4 may happen for fishing or cave encounters, which this is neither of those.
(and starters are supposed to be Method 1, since its not caught, but a gift)

2 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

This was explained to me some time back

"The reason for Method 3 and 4 is because of vBlank.
vBlank is an async function that executes every 60th visual frame to render new graphics and is responsible for animation.

So fishing or caves, where there is screen movement has a higher vBlank rate.
There is at least 1, sometimes 2 vBlanks depending on how many PIDs roll. And where the vBlanks start depends on the circumstance."

I'm wondering if playing on an emulator (or maybe the settings) affected the vblank.
Or maybe it is because Prof Birch was being chased and the PID roll hit that particular frame.
Maybe you rotated many times in starter selection?

As mentioned above, Method 4 may happen for fishing or cave encounters, which this is neither of those.
(and starters are supposed to be Method 1, since its not caught, but a gift)

I can not answer your question because I do not have such professional knowledge. But here, I attach my VBA configuration file for your research.

vba.ini

12 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

In the mean time, did you do anything special.
Or did you just, go to bag, immediately chose Treecko? ><

I did not do anything special. I passed the bag once, and doctor made me blame. This event is so funny that I enjoy watching it. And I go to the bag, choice the Treecko, but I did not choose it "immediately". I took a little time to think. But I do not think it's something special.

I'm sorry, but I have to sleep now and I can not answer any more today. I would be very happy if my answer was helpful.

Edited by BloodBird
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, BloodBird said:

I did not do anything special. I passed the bag once, and doctor made me blame. This event is so funny that I enjoy watching it. And I go to the bag, choice the Treecko, but I did not choose it "immediately". I took a little time to think. But I do not think it's something special.

I'm sorry, but I have to sleep now and I can not answer any more today. I would be very happy if my answer was helpful.

It is okay, that lets us know what you did :)

Normal cartridges always yield static encounters with Method 1. Emulators do not faithfully emulate, resulting in atypical PID methods.

Since these PIDIVs are not possible on regular cartridges, the pkm is not legal. Just because you emulate the game doesn't mean you're emulating it 100% accurately.

PKHeX is working as intended.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

@BloodBird I'll like to know some details.

You playing on an emulator? on NDS? on gba? gba micro? using flashcart?
Did anything different from standard gameplay?

@Sabresite are there known cases of this happening?

Yes it is technically possible but not sure how likely. I have seen it once before as a method 2 but not 4.