Generation 3 SAV editing help (Can't modify ability)

Elder01

Greetings,

I'd like to ask for help about editing my generation 3 sav files (FRLG and Emerald), I can't seem to modify/change a pokemon ability in generation 3 sav files, but I was able to do it with generation 4 sav files using pokehax. I just want to know what's wrong and why I can't modify pokemon ability in gen 3 sav; I've already tried using other sav editors like a-save, and pokecrafter to no avail. I'd really appreciate if someone can help me solve this since I've been stuck with this problem for more than 2 weeks now.

Thanks in advance.

@Elder01 PKHeX allows changing of Ability, if that species has more than one ability number,

Example:
Capture.PNG

However, if you're referring to changing the ability to an illegal ability, it can't be done.
Not because the feature isn't implemented, but rather it is a limitation of the Gen III games.

In the Pokemon data structure, the ability is determine by a bitflag: 0 for ability 1, and 1 for ability 2.
The game then checks against the game data, to assign the correct ability to it.
Look at the data structure here:https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_data_substructures_in_Generation_III#IVs.2C_Egg.2C_and_Ability

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

@Elder01 PKHeX allows changing of Ability, if that species has more than one ability number,

Example:
Capture.PNG

However, if you're referring to changing the ability to an illegal ability, it can't be done.
Not because the feature isn't implemented, but rather it is a limitation of the Gen III games.

In the Pokemon data structure, the ability is determine by a bitflag: 0 for ability 1, and 1 for ability 2.
The game then checks against the game data, to assign the correct ability to it.
Look at the data structure here:https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_data_substructures_in_Generation_III#IVs.2C_Egg.2C_and_Ability

Thanks for enlightening me.