Questions about TID/SID and save editing

jimmayg

Hello,

I have some questions about editing the TID/SID of a save file.

As far as I know, the PID of pokemon aren't tied to the TID/SID of a trainer unless it's shiny, is that right? 

Also, if I edit the TID and SID (using valid TID/SID combinations created by the game) will this change the way shiny PIDs are calculated? Has anyone been able to confirm that editing the TID/SID of a save file results in new uniquely generated shiny PIDs using the newly inserted TID/SID combination?

These questions stem from me wanting to hold onto a shiny I caught on one play through after creating and playing a new save with a new TID/SID. My preference is for this shiny pokemon to not appear traded, otherwise I could simply leave my TID/SID as is and drag him into my PC boxes.

My alternative is to copy my newly caught pokemon over to my old save and change their TID/SIDs instead so that my shiny won't appear to be traded. I do want to confirm though that TID/SID isn't used for generating non shiny PIDs.

I guess I'm just concerned about editing the TID/SID and would like to know any potential drawbacks to doing so. I'd like to hear that it's not a big deal and it all works as intended; meaning if you use valid values you're all good, and newly generated shiny pokemon will use the currently set TID/SID.

Any information/insight is appreciated.

Thanks

The game does not generate PIDs "using" a specific TID/SID. PIDs are randomly generated, and whether one is shiny depends on your TID/SID. Editing your TID/SID won't change how the game generates PIDs, but it will change which PIDs are shiny. If you copy your newly caught Pokemon over to your old save and change their TIDs/SIDs, there's a slim chance (1/4096) they could become shiny.

Every combination of TID/SID has 2^20 PIDs that can be shiny, out of a total of 2^32 possible PIDs. When a Pokemon is generated in-game, a random PID is rolled, and the chance of a shiny PID is thus 2^20 / 2^32 = 1/4096. Having the Shiny Charm rolls two additional PIDs, and the Masuda Method rolls five additional PIDs, effectively octupling the chances of obtaining a shiny PID if the methods are combined.

If a Pokemon is shiny locked and the game happens to roll a shiny PID, the PID is forcibly changed to become non-shiny; conversely, if a Pokemon must be shiny but a non-shiny PID is rolled, the PID is manipulated to become shiny.

• Thanks 1

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 3:07 PM, PPUser2018 said:

The game does not generate PIDs "using" a specific TID/SID. PIDs are randomly generated, and whether one is shiny depends on your TID/SID. Editing your TID/SID won't change how the game generates PIDs, but it will change which PIDs are shiny. If you copy your newly caught Pokemon over to your old save and change their TIDs/SIDs, there's a slim chance (1/4096) they could become shiny.

Every combination of TID/SID has 2^20 PIDs that can be shiny, out of a total of 2^32 possible PIDs. When a Pokemon is generated in-game, a random PID is rolled, and the chance of a shiny PID is thus 2^20 / 2^32 = 1/4096. Having the Shiny Charm rolls two additional PIDs, and the Masuda Method rolls five additional PIDs, effectively octupling the chances of obtaining a shiny PID if the methods are combined.

If a Pokemon is shiny locked and the game happens to roll a shiny PID, the PID is forcibly changed to become non-shiny; conversely, if a Pokemon must be shiny but a non-shiny PID is rolled, the PID is manipulated to become shiny.

Awesome, thank you for that information.

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:29 PM, ajxpk said:

I would be careful with TID/SID editing though. Whether a TID/SID combination is legal depends on the game.
I can't guarantee you that all combinations are accessible, it really depends on which game you mean. 

I hear ya and I don't really like to edit too much myself anyway. That's another reason I made the effort to ask around before I did so. I do plan on only using TID/SIDs for a game that were created by the same game.

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 3:07 PM, PPUser2018 said:

If you copy your newly caught Pokemon over to your old save and change their TIDs/SIDs, there's a slim chance (1/4096) they could become shiny.

I really find this to be awesome, I never knew there was a chance for this to happen. I've certainly seen a shiny become not shiny by changing it's TID/SID but I've never seen the opposite happen.