Has anyone been able to write an HGSS save to a retail cart?

MarkusE

My SoulSilver import copy arrived from Play-Asia today, so I've been wanting to write my 512KB R4 save to my actual cart (no more ROM freezes!)

In the past (for D, P, and Pt), this has always worked perfectly via REIN. However, it doesn't seem to work with HGSS carts:

When I go to RESTORE.

it says TYPE=0 SIZE=8192 byte, then it spits out this error:

TYPE=0

DS SAVE TYPE ERROR

NG

FAILED RESTORE.

Does anyone know either how to get around this with REIN or another save-restore tool that is confirmed to be compatible with HGSS?

Much thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems EMS has just released a new version of their NDS Adaptor which supports Heart Gold and Soul Silver. I just ordered one from them.

http://www.hkems.com/product/nintendo/0907.htm

Amazon.co.jp finally got Heart Gold back in stock, so when I get it hopefully I will be able to back up my save file and get a copy of the Wonder Card for the Pikachu forest event backed up. I tried with Soul Silver and the NDS Adaptor before, but of course it doesn't work.

Well since it's commercial I doubt we'll be hearing about how they did it....

Honestly, those of you buying this adapter trash are getting ripped off. If you don't have one already, get a flashcart (if you do have one, why the hell do you need an adapter?). At least with a flashcart you won't have to go out and buy a whole new adapter anytime Nintendo makes a new type of card.

You can get an Acekard 2/i for 10-12 dollars, and that is one of the best cards on the market. How much are the adapters?

I don't really see the purpose in this, with my opinion further bolsted by Poryhack.

I'm just going to level down my team in Pokesav and trade them over to my real game whenever I get it..

But really, the word of the day is "Flashcart". I thought this idea was cool, 'til I got my ak2i a week ago.

Well since it's commercial I doubt we'll be hearing about how they did it....

As long as it works, that really doesn't bother me.

Honestly, those of you buying this adapter trash are getting ripped off. If you don't have one already, get a flashcart (if you do have one, why the hell do you need an adapter?). At least with a flashcart you won't have to go out and buy a whole new adapter anytime Nintendo makes a new type of card.

Again, if it works I don't consider it a rip-off. And isn't this the only way to get save games to work at this point? I thought that's what this thread was about. There's no need to get upset.

As it happens, I don't have a flashcart - but I'm definitely interested in getting one. One question: how does it back up save data when it fits in the same slot as the game you want to back up? Do you have to hot-switch the cards or something?

You can get an Acekard 2/i for 10-12 dollars, and that is one of the best cards on the market. How much are the adapters?

On the contrary it appears to cost 41 dollars including shipping ordering from the closest supplier listed on their official site. This adaptor cost me 32 dollars including shipping.

Do you know a good place to order from that ships to Japan?

How exactly did you order the NDS Adaptor from EMS?

I filled out the order form which turned out to be an email submit. I sent the email 12 hours ago and they haven't responded.

Do they send an invoice to your email or something like that? Or is there a shopping cart or a way to pay directly via PayPal or credit card?

Thanks.

How exactly did you order the NDS Adaptor from EMS?

I filled out the order form which turned out to be an email submit. I sent the email 12 hours ago and they haven't responded.

Do they send an invoice to your email or something like that? Or is there a shopping cart or a way to pay directly via PayPal or credit card?

Thanks.

I put through an email 2 days ago, yet to get a response.

It's the first time I've ordered from them so I don't know any more than you guys, I'm afraid. But they replied to my order on Monday within a few hours, and then again shortly after I paid to say when my order would be sent.

Other than the fact that they make these adaptors, I really know nothing else about the company. I hope your orders go through soon.

Edit: Oh, and it's a very basic operation shopping-wise. They just sent me the details through e-mail and gave me an address to pay through PayPal. I get the feeling they don't do a lot of online sales, or perhaps mostly wholesale stuff. I'm guessing all the NDS Adaptors on Yahoo Auctions here come directly from this company, bought in bulk for a discount.

Again, if it works I don't consider it a rip-off. And isn't this the only way to get save games to work at this point? I thought that's what this thread was about. There's no need to get upset.

Yes, it is the only way at this point but I would bet money that free software will be developed within the next couple weeks. Chase has already started and I believe the only reason it hasn't already happened is the relative lack of people with legitimate games to test with.

As it happens, I don't have a flashcart - but I'm definitely interested in getting one. One question: how does it back up save data when it fits in the same slot as the game you want to back up? Do you have to hot-switch the cards or something?

That is exactly how it works.

On the contrary it appears to cost 41 dollars including shipping ordering from the closest supplier listed on their official site. This adaptor cost me 32 dollars including shipping.

Do you know a good place to order from that ships to Japan?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18728

12.97 USD with free worldwide shipping, probably even a couple dollars less if you don't want/need the DSi compatible one

Yes, it is the only way at this point but I would bet money that free software will be developed within the next couple weeks. Chase has already started and I believe the only reason it hasn't already happened is the relative lack of people with legitimate games to test with.

I have no doubt. But that doesn't help much right now for getting Wonder Cards from official events.

What exactly does testing involve? I might be able to help.

That is exactly how it works.

Cool. Do flash cards do anything else that could be useful for Pokemon? I must admit I've never really looked into them much before.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18728

12.97 USD with free worldwide shipping, probably even a couple dollars less if you don't want/need the DSi compatible one

Wow, that IS cheap! Ludicrously cheap in fact. Thanks for the link! :smile:

It's the first time I've ordered from them so I don't know any more than you guys, I'm afraid. But they replied to my order on Monday within a few hours, and then again shortly after I paid to say when my order would be sent.

Other than the fact that they make these adaptors, I really know nothing else about the company. I hope your orders go through soon.

Edit: Oh, and it's a very basic operation shopping-wise. They just sent me the details through e-mail and gave me an address to pay through PayPal. I get the feeling they don't do a lot of online sales, or perhaps mostly wholesale stuff. I'm guessing all the NDS Adaptors on Yahoo Auctions here come directly from this company, bought in bulk for a discount.

I got my email from them on friday night, and paid for it then. By looking through their message boards, the general response time is anywhere between instant and 3 days.

I've bought their products before, but not directly from them, so hopefully things are alright.

I got the NDS Adaptor Plus in the post tonight. I successfully used it to back up my Soul Silver file, but I haven't been brave enough to try writing my file back yet. There's no reason it shouldn't work, though.

Of course Pokesav HGSS is still not very functional, but it's useful just being able to back up. Having no access to Mystery Gift is a bit of a pain.

Thorf, did you order express or regular shipping?

I chose what they call "Normal Mail," which cost me $6. It takes 10 business days to ship from HK to USA. They took 2 days to send me the initial invoice, 3 more days to process my payment (utterly ridiculous, since PayPal is instant), and it's been 4 days since they (claim to have) shipped the item. Based on my experience with Play-Asia, another HK-based company, 10 days usually means 15-20. So I might not have this for a while *sigh*

The only alternative was Express Mail shipping, which costs over $20 and would have taken 5 business days.

You live in Japan, so no wonder you got it so quickly!

• 4 weeks later...
I got the NDS Adaptor Plus in the post tonight. I successfully used it to back up my Soul Silver file, but I haven't been brave enough to try writing my file back yet. There's no reason it shouldn't work, though.

Of course Pokesav HGSS is still not very functional, but it's useful just being able to back up. Having no access to Mystery Gift is a bit of a pain.

have you tried writing back to your HG/SS retail cartridge with the save you successfully backed up in the first place? would like to know as want to get one myself if it 100% works.