Preferred Gen Method?

Wildcat™

Greetings, everyone.  A couple of years ago I use to gen some Pokemon.  I stepped away from the series, but this past holiday I was gifted with the latest game (Pokemon Ultra Sun).  I see that the game has changed, so I'm looking to get back on board (my previous 3DS, which had all my old data and Pokemon is unfortunately unusable).  What is the preferred method these days when it comes to gen?  My firmware is unfortunately 11.6, and from what I understand about Homebrew is that you need a certain game to be able to install it onto systems with 11.6.  I also don't believe you can download old firm wares on an unmodified device, right?  I was considering going through PowerSaves, but I would prefer to go the Homebrew route as an added layer of fun and customization.  I was also reading up about CFW, but I haven't gotten too deep into that since it's a bit new to me.

Before I commit to any method, I would like to know what's the preferred method these days.  

3 hours ago, wrathsoffire76 said:

Many people nowadays do put CFW on their 3DS's because its easy, quick and will allow so much more then just Homebrew. Also, system updates can render some homebrew exploits unusable while you will always have CFW. I highly recommend looking at https://3ds.guide/ to see if it's something worth getting.

Thanks for the response back.  That's the guide I was glancing through earlier today.  I'll look into it a bit more tonight.  I'm sure I'll answer my own question, but do I still need to purchase some sort of game?

Edit: Oh boy, also need 2 systems now.  This requires a lot more reading.  

Edited by Wildcat™

21 minutes ago, wrathsoffire76 said:

Oh, you're looking at the DSIWare method. Yeah, you only need the game on your system for that.

Thanks for taking the time.  I haven't looked into it, yet, but is there a reputable guide for the flash cart method?