.PK1 Pokémon files aren't holding items when imported to Gen 2

BeyondTheHorizon

Not sure if this is a bug or if I'm doing something wrong, but I was messing around with importing .PK1 Pokémon files into my Crystal save when I noticed they weren't holding items. For example, Pidgeot is supposed to be holding a Bitter Berry when transferred to Gen 2, but when I imported my Pidgeot file it was holding nothing. I'm currently using PKHeX with the git commit 61b6519 (Allow box name editing on gen2), just so you know. Oh, and here's my .PK1 file too.

018 - PIDGEOT - A9DE.pk1

Gen1 stores the pkm's catch rate when it is captured and is unused. Transferring to gen2 converts it to an item if necessary. If you remove the item, the value is 0.

You can't trade Gen1->Gen2->Gen1->Gen2 to constantly make items.

Probably was edited/modified prior. Loading a gen1 save with tradebacks disallowed shows your Pigeot as invalid (as the catch rate data needs to be valid, which isn't, because the held item was removed at some point).

I tried both allowing and disallowing Gen 2 tradeback learnsets, and neither seem to work. It seems that the catch rate of Pokémon generated in PKHeX is currently automatically set to 0 though it says it's legal. I remember this didn't happen about a year ago when I was trying to figure out Time Capsule-related information and Pokémon imported to Gen 2 held items, so I'm leaning towards a bug here.

Fixed, although somewhat unrelated:

https://github.com/kwsch/PKHeX/commit/14821dfb82ad6015417823f2491a0477535973e1

PKHeX gets the base species then enumerates the chain to see if any of the catch rates match. You'll have to temporarily set it as the original species from another unrelated chain:

Pigeot -> Mewtwo -> Pidgey -> Pigeot

0 -> 3 -> FF -> FF

I don't think it's a big enough need to have direct editing of the catch rate; may necessitate a new custom control (Auto checkbox, species selection, raw entry) which is a bit of effort for something so minor.

Thanks for the effort, though it seems catch rates still aren't set when Gen 2 tradeback learnsets are allowed. When disallowed, catch rates are now set, though in the case of the Yellow Pikachu I found its catch rate is set to 190 instead of 163. Unfortunately, items still don't show when importing a Gen 1 Pokémon into a Gen 2 save file, probably for the above reason. Really sorry.

Oops, screwed up badly. Pokémon DO hold items when imported from Gen 1 to Gen 2 while tradeback learnsets are disallowed. I only tested with the Yellow Pikachu, which I assume doesn't because its catch rate is set to 190 instead of 163. I'm an idiot!

Edited by BeyondTheHorizon
Corrected catch rate