Sign in to follow this  
Cecillia

Pokémon Crystal Gets VC Release

Here is a patch for v1.0 crystal which I made that improves it. It works on vc.

PokemonBrainCrystalClockFixStoneMart.ips

The patch is an mbc5-based romhack that makes the clock changeable and static until reset, adds in 400 songs from newer and older titles, adds items into the department stores, adds a port of voltorb flip, restores a partial pcc, adds in a lighter safari zone to symbolize closure, with SOME version exclusives present, restores a gameplay hint found in the unused olivine city house, and more. I have made it out of multiple patches, and it is functional enough to play. It uses Armada's Pokemon Crystal Restored Hack, Froggestspirit's Crystal Complete hack, a comprehensive capture mechanics fix, two different patches to allow time change, and a patch which allows purchase of evolutionary stones in department stores. I also restored the beta sgb border from Japanese gold for use in KiGB and VBA-rr-SVN-480. It is fully save-compatible with English crystal saves and stadium 2, (minus gb tower) and it is mapper-compatible with pokemon pinball and TCG gbc games, as well as all European language releases of Yellow (including English) and All European, Non-English releases of Red and Blue. (AKA MBC5, but 32KiB of SRAM/compatible FRAM, along with 4MiB of EPRom is needed to make the game physical without vc to be able to use pokemon mini support.) The only thing you cannot do is set GB Printer darkness which is set at maximum due to aging paper.

Edited by St. GIGA
Details of hack.

Btw. some interesting information...
I have completely overread that they mentioning that the Event was in the first Pokemon News Issue that was apparently released together when the service started. The grammar sounds like there only was one GS Ball Event News Issue. Would make sense as they literally used the GS Ball to advertise the Mobile GB Adapter, to push the sales up, as we know there was an advertisement Flyer back in the days. Which btw. had the same Celebi Shrine Artwork as on the Japanese Information site from the VC GS Ball. NOW... the interesting part is that Háčky from glitchcity actually found the first Japanese News Issue which is hidden in the localized ROMs at 7D:4DD3 and it indeed included the GS Ball. So it could be exactly what was distributed in Japan when the Mobile System GB... this is nothing too new as I already had this guess before, it's just underscoring the theory.

@Ammako in the Japanese Version it was the Pokemon News Header. The content of the bank was completely removed in the international versions. Instead the hardcoded Trainer Tower stuff was added and that's apparently where they readded or shifted the flag to in the west versions, seeing the asm this could be true. (I should add that I know the Japanese Version better than the localized ones...)

According to the Japanese Website entering the Hall of Fame is the only requirement.

セレービと出会い方
殿堂入り後に、コガネシティのポケモンコミュニケーションセンターに入れると、イベントが発生するぞ。謎に包まれたウバメの森にある祠で、セレービと運命的な出会いを果たしそう!

"How to meet Celebi
When you enter the Pokemon Communication Center of Goldenroad City after entering the Hall of Fame an Event occurs. There is a Shrine in the Illex Forest surrounding a mystery, be ready for an fateful encounter with Celebi!"

So I guess entering the Hall of Fame for the first time will set the flag. I think before we speculate further... Let's just wait to see what exactly they did when the VC games will be released and then reconstruct it if necessary to have this "legit", before we start to throw custom made patches around each other. :)

Edited by ajxpk
  • Like 1

I dumped my NTSC-U VC Gold, and I checked the patch in Notepad++, and it does NOT appear to patch that Compare value from 0b to 00, so it does NOT appear to patch the event. It was Travingel who used @Ammako's value over on skeentendo in his fork of Nintendo's Leaked crystal patches. I think Nintendo may be borrowing the code using their legal rights. They may also be patching in the news/servers for JPN versions.

Yes. There is no GS Ball patch. + The Japanese Crystal Game won't boot with the patch we got, which btw. has something to do with the Mobile Game Boy Logo being patched out. It could be that the Mobile System GB is activated by default in the Japanese VC release... otherwise I don't know why they would mess with it. Which is why I was wondering wether we get a hard edited Japanese Crystal rom. But like @theSLAYER said this doesn't has to mean anything because the actual patches at the end might be different than what we have seen already. 

I think @St. GIGA was joking. But I gotta admit that it was a good one! No, let's be honest... First of all, as already stated there is nothing spectacular that has to be programmed here... it's all there and it's an really easy job that can be done in a few min if there is the will from above. And even if it was difficult, they have paid programmers to do the job better (even they do fail at times)... who have not become employees for using search engines to find and steal code from the Internet. lol

And btw. I don't think there will be servers... but in case the PCC is activated, it could be that the Japanese version will have Pokémon News added to the patch... additionally to the GS Ball and the Odd Egg Event in some kind of way, but we will see... IF there are servers I guess they would be rather for trading, battling online and possibly the Battle Tower? I'm all up for surprises, I was sceptical if we get the GS Ball and there it is. It's also interesting to mention that there isn't a Japanese trailer yet, usually we there is always a Japanese trailer at the same time there is an international one.

• Like 2

Don't even get me started on Zeraora. It is meant JUST to appease Digimon and Furry fanbases. (Not that there is anything wrong with that, but again Nintendo, it is an E rated game. Yes, gen one players are adults now, and want fan service, but as SM proved, you ARE a KID's company. Yes, the pokedex had issues, but you yourselves fixed that... Then again, most furries ARE kids... Who like pokemon a bit TOO much...) Still, Nintendo, if you are reading this, please continue your distribution plans,  but do it at a Crystal launch party??? 

Literally one hour after hearing of the USUM leak, googling just the word zeraora with nothing else in the bar in bing under MY settings scarred me for life... In conclusion, fan service is never needed because fans can make their own fan service versions of fan works before official works surface.

Eeek! Fans are crazy.

PokemonBrainCrystalClockFixStoneMart.ips

@St. GIGA speaking of Zeraora being digimon/sonic fan service, isn't that kinda like how Marshadow is to appeal to Yokai watch fans? (And Subjectively, Hoopa too)

In any case, the entire Zeraora talk is off-topic.(heck, anything movie related and isn't crystal related is effectively off-topic)

while I like that you're trying to help with the Crystal patch, everything other content is effectively off-topic ><

(movie stuff should go to the movie thread)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JISN[064] said:

so ... is the Celeby shiny locked?? ;o

We will only know when the game is out.

(they could do patching to the DVs, or something. So we will only know when VC crystal is released...)

47 minutes ago, JISN[064] said:

but is not already leaked?

chrome_2018-01-23_21-04-04.thumb.jpg.cb6c786ca93b235dfd3e2e5b6f2e9541.jpg

This is the thing with like, every Pokemon game before release.

Pre-load =/= complete version. (titlekeys by themselves aren't enough)

The seed isn't released yet. As long as the seed isn't released, the pre-load will remain encrypted.
As long as it's encrypted, no one can play and determine what patches are included, what has changed etc.

To date, all the core series games that leaked are cartridge leaks.
And without cartridges for VC games, all you can wait for is the seed.

• Ditto 1

@theSLAYER Since Australia already has the VC Crystal released would that mean they are able to get the seed for us? Since US EU AU all share the same region of the game?

And if I change my 3ds country to Australia will I be able download Pokémon Crystal from the E-shop early?

Edited by shay123

8 minutes ago, shay123 said:

@theSLAYER Since Australia already has the VC Crystal released would that mean they are able to get the seed for us? Since US EU AU all share the same region of the game?

And if I change my 3ds country to Australia will I be able download Pokémon Crystal from the E-shop early?

I dont think change your 3DS country would work. (may have some NNID-eshop issues)

Tho yes, it should be the same seed.

2 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

I dont think change your 3DS country would work. (may have some NNID-eshop issues)

Tho yes, it should be the same seed.

ahhh okay. Is the seed floating around anywhere?

Just now, shay123 said:

ahhh okay. Is the seed floating around anywhere?

Since it's unique code related to unlocking a game, I don't think I can share it.

However, the kagiya (literally key house) url format is well known. Probably can find it in other communities ;)

Just now, theSLAYER said:

Since it's unique code related to unlocking a game, I don't think I can share it.

However, the kagiya (literally key house) url format is well known. Probably can find it in other communities ;)

alright thank you. Do you know what communities I may find them in?

1 hour ago, Ammako said:

Look up "3ds eshop seed find"

Does anyone have the seed? I've looked everywhere for it and i cant find it.

1 minute ago, shay123 said:

Does anyone have the seed? I've looked everywhere for it and i cant find it.

We do not support piracy. Please stop asking as nobody is going to risk being banned by giving it to you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sabresite said:

We do not support piracy. Please stop asking as nobody is going to risk being banned by giving it to you.

Im sorry

16 minutes ago, Ammako said:

(Does code from the patch files count as copyrighted content?)

(I think it might, since it may be considered as licensed code. talking about it is probably in the gray area, but posting it is a no-no)
(it's part of the rom, but not the rom itself, so it's hard to tell)