About the wiki migration

Not gonna lie, I miss mediawiki. One big issue with using the CMS to display articles is how it doesn't adjust to the screen size and there's a lot less width to work with.. And the theme makes it hard to read things or format things..

It would be fine for pages with community guidelines and rules and etc, but its not really enjoyable or easy to write technical documentation using the forum text editor. You're pretty much constrained to things in-theme, and lots of things don't seem to work quite right..

If the issue with mediawiki was just the separate accounts, this could help maybe? https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:IPBAuth

We had fluid width (using all of a monitor's available width) enabled in the past, but we switched back because having limited width makes text and paragraphs easier to read, since there's less horizontal eye movement. I'll look into enabling it for just the technical stuff soon.

When you say the theme is making it hard to read things, do you mean the colors? I'm considering releasing a new theme at some point that's closer to the IPS default theme, which should look better.

IMO, the forum text is better than having to deal with wiki markup, but as an Editor, you should be able to edit the HTML if that's more convenient.

The extension you linked to is unfortunately not compatible with the latest version of the site.

On 12/12/2017 at 9:37 AM, evandixon said:

We had fluid width (using all of a monitor's available width) enabled in the past, but we switched back because having limited width makes text and paragraphs easier to read, since there's less horizontal eye movement. I'll look into enabling it for just the technical stuff soon.

I figured out how to enable it for just the tech docs section. It'll work with all currently-available themes.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2017 at 10:37 AM, evandixon said:

When you say the theme is making it hard to read things, do you mean the colors? I'm considering releasing a new theme at some point that's closer to the IPS default theme, which should look better.

IMO, the forum text is better than having to deal with wiki markup, but as an Editor, you should be able to edit the HTML if that's more convenient.

The extension you linked to is unfortunately not compatible with the latest version of the site.

Well, when you make tables and etc its nice to not have the rows do line breaks and make everything inconsistent.

And well, there's the colors, but also there's the issue that emphasis on text is somewhat tame, probably because it avoid people abusing really flashy text in their forum posts. Maybe a separate forced theme for the wiki could help? With something like times new roman as font or or whatever media wiki uses?

And in my opinion, wiki markup was never an issue. As long as I don't have to do raw html too much, and things auto-format nicely. Forum markup tends to be unreliable and capricious. And editing html directly isn't really more convenient its more work, and there's the issue of html compatibility and fitting to the CSS theme and etc..

On 12/17/2017 at 2:18 PM, ajxpk said:

Yeah, I miss the wiki too. Glad to see someone mentioning it too.
Whenever I need information I find myself jumping between github, glitchcity, datacrystal and multiple forums.
It would be nice to have a simple and universal place where you can find all the ROM Maps, RAM Maps, Algorithms ect. 
I personally think that a wikia with more simplicity and technical depth as an alternative to Bulbapedia is something that would be really nice.
Bulbapedia is huge but also a bit bulky and not really a suitable place for some information, because they have their own policy.
There's really a lot of content that could be added to the PP wiki, unfortunately it's a lot work to get it all together...
So considering that nothing has been done since a long time I see why it's gone now.
If I had more time I would have loved to work on it...

Well, wikia is riddled with advertisement and etc.. Its not really the best place to host technical documentation.

Maybe hosting a sort of wiki on github could work?