Need 3DS modding help

Being broke sucks, but I finally managed to get a 3DS (specifically, a New 3DS XL) so I could play Gen 6 and 7 games......and then I find out that editing their saves isn't going to be as easy as I thought it might be (mostly I just want to go back and get old events I missed, why couldn't more of them be easy QR codes like Magearna?). The obvious answer is that I need Luma (since that's what seems to be the program to extract/import saves that everyone uses here), but....well, how the heck do I actually mod my 3DS?

Unfortunately luck has given me not a lot of options. The firmware my 3DS came with is 11.5, which eliminates a lot of the easier options. I don't have access to a second 3DS, NO interest in hard-modding, and any option that costs money is also out. I heard that the Secret Base exploit in OR/AS might actually still work on my version of firmware, but I don't know for sure.

So if anyone out there knows how to help, I just want to figure this mess out as quickly and as easily as possible...

Edited by NekoSabrina

9 minutes ago, NekoSabrina said:

Being broke sucks, but I finally managed to get a 3DS (specifically, a New 3DS XL) so I could play Gen 6 and 7 games......and then I find out that editing their saves isn't going to be as easy as I thought it might be (mostly I just want to go back and get old events I missed, why couldn't more of them be easy QR codes like Magearna?). The obvious answer is that I need Luma (since that's what seems to be the program to extract/import saves that everyone uses here), but....well, how the heck do I actually mod my 3DS?

Unfortunately luck has given me not a lot of options. The firmware my 3DS came with is 11.5, which eliminates a lot of the easier options. I don't have access to a second 3DS, NO interest in hard-modding, and any option that costs money is also out. I heard that the Secret Base exploit in OR/AS might actually still work on my version of firmware, but I don't know for sure.

So if anyone out there knows how to help, I just want to figure this mess out as quickly and as easily as possible...

Do you have a NDS (not 3DS) flash cart?
If you have a compatible model, could just use ntrhax

It's pretty easy to use.

Unfortunately I don't have any flashcarts (never needed them before). The DS and 3DS games I have are all actual carts, and what fooling around I needed to do with the DS games, I was usually able to get away with using an AR for.

It's a pretty tricky spot I'm in. I know waiting this long hurt me, but it's not something I had any control over.

19 minutes ago, NekoSabrina said:

Unfortunately I don't have any flashcarts (never needed them before). The DS and 3DS games I have are all actual carts, and what fooling around I needed to do with the DS games, I was usually able to get away with using an AR for.

It's a pretty tricky spot I'm in. I know waiting this long hurt me, but it's not something I had any control over.

Based on the ultimate guide, I'll say the only easy option you have is get a compatible NDS flashcart to do it,
since there's nothing else that can be done really.
Or meet someone who stays close enough to you, and get them to help you do it (lets say if they have a NDS cart),
or ship your N3DS to someone you trust.

there really isn't any other option. it's not like we will be able to find a 100% free 11.5 hack option.
If it exists, it would likely already be public, or at least announced that it is being worked on..

edit: ORAS secret base is a secondary exploit, so that won't be of help to you.
In other words, you need to already have access to homebrew.
The whole point of a secondary entry, is so that if your primary is blocked, you still have a back up option.

In other words, it won't be any use to you...

• theSLAYER changed the title to Need 3DS modding help

Okay, well that sucks. I was hoping maybe I still had a chance, at least through games I owned. I know there's something in the eShop that could be exploited on 11.5, but I think it's since been patched (and it would have either cost me money or had me jumping through hoops), not to mention I can't access the darn thing without updating the firmware anyway.

Is 11.6 (the current version) better, worse, or about the same in terms of trying to find exploits? I still want to see if there's any possible way I can sneak in and do something, but I'm kinda thinking I'm in the same place. Too bad there isn't an actual Homebrew Channel for 3DS like there was for the Wii, probably would make things slightly easier (though there's still the matter of the initial install).

the 3ds.guide site is the ultimate site that compiles and displays the simplest methods,
so if isn't there, I doubt that such public options exists. (after all, you wouldn't be the first, nor the last, to want a completely free option, on an updated console)

I kinda have the same dilemma with getting a switch and updating to play Mario Odyssey.
I'm afraid that when the future comes for hacking, and it only works on a lower firmware console, and I won't be able to do anything but wait :(

In any case, since the options you want are definitely a no go, settle for:
1. trading events with other people (there's a few that ask me once in a while, when I have more free time to do such trades)
2. getting a powersaves to inject events (but may screw up save, or may not be legal depending on scenarios)
3. get a compatible NDS Flashcart to hack your 3DS (not every NDS flashcart can do NTRhax at this point)
4. find someone that lives considerably near you to do it. alternatively, take a holiday to that person's city, to do it for you
5. ship your 3DS to someone trustworthy, but at a risk. I once got someone to unbrick my 3DS, took 9 months and threatening a lawsuit to get it back.

Well, I'll look into flashcards, but probably not going to be able to do anything on that for now (seems like the most direct way to get things done with the newer firmwares, and at least it's something I can have ready if I ever get a second unit or something). I'd rather trust something I know in PKHeX since I know how to properly edit in events with that from experimenting with roms.

In the meantime, I guess I can just get started and see what I need. If need be, I can always ask if someone wants to send me some starters (the ones I don't pick) or whatever.

4 minutes ago, NekoSabrina said:

Well, I'll look into flashcards, but probably not going to be able to do anything on that for now (seems like the most direct way to get things done with the newer firmwares, and at least it's something I can have ready if I ever get a second unit or something). I'd rather trust something I know in PKHeX since I know how to properly edit in events with that from experimenting with roms.

In the meantime, I guess I can just get started and see what I need. If need be, I can always ask if someone wants to send me some starters (the ones I don't pick) or whatever.

Yeah. Starters are easy (breeding), and any other event can probably be injected then traded.