Pokemon DS Rom Hacking Tutorials

Hello everyone! I just uploaded some Pokemon DS rom hacking tutorial vids and wanted to post them here in case they help anyone out. They are definitely not high level stuff, mostly a showcase of how to use tools like Tinke, Kiwi, PokeDS/Pis, DS Text Editor, and PPRE for trainer editing. So more of a "rom hacking for dummies" kind of guide.

Topics Discussed:

Intro: Things to Know Before You Begin
Pt 1: Overworld Sprites (including the elusive HM summon sprite)
Pt 2: Trainer Front/Back sprites and VS faces before a gym battle
Pt 2.5: Easier Editing w/ RECN Files (Aka: NCER)
Pt 3: Pokemon Sprites
Pt 3.5: Advance Pokemon Edits
Pt 3.75: Gen IV Sprite Editor
Pt 4: Text Editing w/ DSPRE
Pt 5: Opening, Intro, Ending locations
Pt 6: Trainer Editing w/ DSPRE
Pt 7: Pokemon Icons
Pt 7.5: Pokemon Icon Pallets
Pt 8: How to use Photoshop and Graphic Gale
Pt 9: Diamond/Pearl Battle Sprites
Pt 10: Trainer Cards (Both Gen 4 and 5)
Pt 11: HG SS Pokemon Follow Overworld Sprites
Pt 12: 3D BMD0 Overworld Cutscene Trainer Sprites
Pt 13: Pokemon Cries to Pretty Much Anything
Pt 14: Quick Color Changes with Console Tool
Pt 15: Wild Pokemon Editing w/ Advance DSPRE Tips

Map Editing series:

Pt 1: Make Your First Map with PDSMS
Pt 1.5: Making maps with PDSMS 2.2
Pt 2: How to Import Custom Maps
Pt 2.5: Reshaping a World (Matrix Editing)
Pt 3: Adding Buildings to Maps with PDSMS
Pt 4: How to Make Warps

Scripting series:

Pt 1: Walking you through my first script!
Pt 1.5: Updating My Example Script for Any DSPRE Version

If you have any questions, leaving a youtube comment would be a much faster way to reach me.

Edited by MasterYesevil
Added more content
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • V-Wheeeeeel!!! 1

Please can you tell me how set an item to be un-give-able to a pokémon like Apricorn balls? In HG/SS I fixed RAGE CANDY and SLOWPOKE TAIL, but they could be given to a pokémon and could create a compatibility issue with clean roms.

Currently Park Ball and Sport Ball can't be given to a pokémon, but normally you can't obtain them in your bag. Then there is a way to replace them in the banned give list or a way to add RAGE CANDY BAR and SLOWPOKE TAIL?

13 hours ago, Halfshadow said:

Oh, ok, no problem, thanks however. However I want to tell you that these 2 balls could be moved to another bag changing their item type and don't change the limitation, then the limitation is possible also for items out of the ball bag.

Good to know! I am sure others will also find this useful.

• 1 month later...

I updated the BTX Editor last year to allow you to "properly" import and export all of the overworld sprites from the DS games. Granted, the program isn't great, but it will no longer error out on any of the overworld sprites, so long as they only have one palette.

• Amazed 1

11 hours ago, Hiro TDK said:

I updated the BTX Editor last year to allow you to "properly" import and export all of the overworld sprites from the DS games. Granted, the program isn't great, but it will no longer error out on any of the overworld sprites, so long as they only have one palette.

That's nuts! I actually came across your post just yesterday after someone was asking about pokemon overworld sprites in hg/ss. It won't help that specific person but was hoping to add it to my tools download link for people to try using. Wish I had found out for my rom hack...

• 2 weeks later...
On 23-10-2017 at 4:53 AM, MasterYesevil said:

Hi everyone! I just uploaded some Pokemon DS rom hacking tutorial vids and wanted to post them here in case they help anyone out. They are definitely not high level stuff, mostly a showcase of how to use tools like Tinke, Kiwi, PokeDS/Pis, DS Text Editor, and PPRE for trainer editing. So more of a "rom hacking for dummies" kind of guide.

Topics Discussed:

• Pt 1. Overworld Sprites (including the elusive HM summon sprite)
  • Pt 2. Trainer Front/Back sprites and VS faces before a gym battle
  • Pt 3. Pokemon Sprites
  • Pt 4. Text Editing
  • Pt 5. Opening, Intro, Ending locations 
  • Pt 6. Enemy Trainer Pokemon Teams
  • Pt 7. Pokemon Icons

If you have any questions, leaving a youtube comment would be a much faster way to reach me.

I want to make a special sidequest for a legendary pokemon, where some events happen and in a new area (custom made), a legendary pokemon appears. Could you make a tutorial on this?

• 3 months later...
On 5/29/2018 at 10:40 AM, Arfat said:

Hello could you explain how to use ppre 2?in layman terms.

You need to put a copy of your rom in the PPRE folder. then you open PPRE and type the name of the rom in the top field to load it (don't forget .nds ad the end). then you should be able it access all it's features. When done enter a new name in the bottom field to create a new rom.

Do you have a follow script code to disable it permanently without allow to reappear leaving/entering a building/cave or the bike/surf in HG/SS? A very permanently code, at the beginning I think it set a variable/flag, you know it and if there is a way to clear it to disable permanently the following pokémon?

Edited by Halfshadow

On 8/18/2018 at 9:25 PM, Halfshadow said:

Do you have a follow script code to disable it permanently without allow to reappear leaving/entering a building/cave or the bike/surf in HG/SS? A very permanently code, at the beginning I think it set a variable/flag, you know it and if there is a way to clear it to disable permanently the following pokémon?

I mostly work in sprites sadly. only barley learned hex editing for episode 7.5

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...