Save File Backups. Are they completely safe?

Kapuxa_Blaziken

Hello.

Recently a friend of mine lost is Pokémon Omega Ruby Cart, with it, pretty much every Pokémon he had since generation 3.

I apologize if this is not correctly placed in the forums.

Since there are great minds at editing save files around here, maybe someone can help me out with this doubt.

I have a 3DS with Homebrew, and I can use JK Save Manager, my question basically is, is it safe to use these apps to backup all my game Save Files?

The idea is not to edit them, just keep a digital copy of all my game progress (I intend to back my save files from Gen III - Gen VII). They all are 100% Unedited save files.

I got this crazy idea that something about the process of the backup creating might alter something in its structure that will flag it has a edited file when it actually is not.

My concern comes from the Pokémon Sun & Moon recent banwaves, I'm afraid that by backing up my save files, my game might be flagged as edited and banned, or if in the future I do loose my cart and restore that save to another cart, that one is banned, even tho it never got edited.

Thank you for your time!

Edited by Kapuxa_Blaziken

If your only using homebrew and not a fully boot9strap hacked 3ds then there isnt anything to worry about. The banwaves for sun and moon were mostly from using illegal pokemon, people trying to play the game online early or because in general, their 3DS was fully hacked and they either had many hack programs installed on their 3DS or had the games from freeshop or some other non legitimate method. Also, obviously JKSM will only work for gen 6-7 and you said you wanted to backup all of your saves from gen 3 and up so here is a guide I recently made if you need any help.

https://projectpokemon.org/home/forums/topic/41718-how-to-back-up-your-save-files-gen-1-7-for-use-with-pkhex-or-emulators-tutorial/

2 minutes ago, NinFanBoyFTW said:

If your only using homebrew and not a fully boot9strap hacked 3ds then there isnt anything to worry about. The banwaves for sun and moon were mostly from using illegal pokemon, people trying to play the game online early or because in general, their 3DS was fully hacked and they either had many hack programs installed on their 3DS or had the games from freeshop or some other non legitimate method. Also, obviously JKSM will only work for gen 6-7 and you said you wanted to backup all of your saves from gen 3 and up so here is a guide I recently made if you need any help.

https://projectpokemon.org/home/forums/topic/41718-how-to-back-up-your-save-files-gen-1-7-for-use-with-pkhex-or-emulators-tutorial/

I do believe my 3DS is a boot9strap, but that is my secondary 3DS System I used to fool around, I would only place my original Cartriges there just to back the save file up, I do not use that system to play online at all, I play online only with me New 3DS, wich runs the fully original Nintendo firmware. Is it ok if this is the case? No changes/flags will come to my save file and/or Pokémon?

Also, thank you very much for the guide, I might just have what is needed for most of them.

Either way (I recommend using the boot9strap 3DS) a save backup is a save backup. Nothing is changed unless you use something like PKHeX so nothing is altered, and even if you alter stuff like most of us do, it doesn't matter because there are only certain criteria that would ban you online anyway. I personally would backup your save files, then backup all of your important pokemon for easy access and also so that god forbid your save backup is lost or anything happens, you would still have all of your pokemon.

Edited by NinFanBoyFTW

5 minutes ago, NinFanBoyFTW said:

Either way (I recommend using the boot9strap 3DS) a save backup is a save backup. Nothing is changed unless you use something like PKHeX so nothing is altered, and even if you alter stuff like most of us do, it doesn't matter because there are only certain criteria that would ban you online anyway. I personally would backup your save files, then backup all of your important pokemon for easy access and also so that god forbid your save backup is lost or anything happens, you would still have all of your pokemon.

Alright, I will back my saves up with an eased mind now. 

I appreciate your help!

Thank you!

• Like 1