[Pokémon Yellow] Issues Editing Ash's Pikachu on PKHeX

Mr. ZARDE

Hi y'all!

First of all, i want to tell you that i was planning to start a brand new save on Pokémon Yellow. I Saved on the Moment i was going to battle my Rival. Upon editing after and before Battle, my Ash's Pikachu became a Regular Pikachu (A Legit Pikachu says his name instead of the RB Sound heard) and i believe it is a bug of my own doing or something i can't explain properly. If you can please Fix This Annoying Bug Maybe I'll Rethink About That. Thank You and See You Around.

Enviado de meu SM-J710MN usando Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Maddaren said:

Hi y'all!

First of all, i want to tell you that i was planning to start a brand new save on Pokémon Yellow. I Saved on the Moment i was going to battle my Rival. Upon editing after and before Battle, my Ash's Pikachu became a Regular Pikachu (A Legit Pikachu says his name instead of the RB Sound heard) and i believe it is a bug of my own doing or something i can't explain properly. If you can please Fix This Annoying Bug Maybe I'll Rethink About That. Thank You and See You Around. emoji106.png

Unable to reproduce, kindly upload your yellow save.

Also, make sure the Trainer ID and the OT Name of the Pikachu matches Your Trainer ID and OT Name.
(I think Pikachu only says it's name, if its yours. Can't reproduce problem if the Pikachu matches my details)

@Kaphotics any idea what the issue may be.

While I was unable to reproduce the problem, loading his saves confirmed that Pikachu is no longer following.
(despite at first glance, TID and OT is the same. Can't see trash bytes of OT Name in Trainer Info, tho)
Catching new Pikachu enables the Pikachu to follow, however.

I wonder if the name trash bytes changed, and if it matters.

The new pikachu has different trash bytes from the older one,
so maybe indeed, any change in the info tab caused the OT name to be resaved differently or something.

DebugYellow.SAV

• V-Wheeeeeel!!! 1

At Last! Thank You Very Much! I'm so Excited To Travel To The Original Pokémon Anime Journey Again and My Wish Will Come True!

Edit: I'm very excited to Start My Journey On Pokémon Ultra Sun, so i gave up starting a new Journey On Yellow...

Edited by Maddaren
This Post Was Only For Pointing A Bug In Yellow Save.
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

Update, surprisingly:

If you selected the OT name "ASH" from the default name menu instead of manually entering it, the savefile's OT trash bytes would apparently grab "ASH\0JACK\0".

This meant that editing Pikachu would still be broken if you had that exact OT selected from the default name menu and edited Pikachu at all, as PKHeX would still clear some of those trash bytes.

It's reusing string buffers
It needs to match the OT trash bytes verbatim
I think PKHeX is overwriting with a clean buffer each time

This has been resolved here:

https://github.com/kwsch/PKHeX/commit/d41fc571d05dfa8c455f5cd25c0be338b0e0a3fa

Edited by Atrius97
  • Like 1