Please Help: Leaf-Green Item Pouch Fix (after messing with action replay)

NinFanBoyFTW

Hi. I wanted to know if someone would be able to help me and make better documentation here on how to fix an item pouch for Fire Red and Leaf Green after messing around with action replay. More specifically, I believe this was 8+ years ago, and I was trying out an action replay with my leaf green save. I didn't have any anti DMA codes or any of the other protection you are supposed to have so the pouch wont get corrupted.

Untitled-1.png.05523ac252ca4933b99d35ded9cf81c6.png

I thought I could fix this by deleting all of the items from PKHeX and then adding in whatever I needed from PKHeX, but the problem keeps happening. Also just as a note, all areas of the pouch have been corrupted like this (TM/HM, Items, Pokeballs). all of the items work fine but it is an eyesore and I didnt want to leave it like this. I also think it would be good to get proper documentation on how to fix this. I have only been able to find half decent guides that dont really explain how to fix this.  Ill leave my save too so anyone can look at it:Pokemon Leaf Green.sav 

Thanks in advance.

• NinFanBoyFTW changed the title to Please Help: Leaf-Green Item Pouch Fix (after messing with action replay)

I've had this same problem in the past. About a month ago. I don't remember how I fixed it. It kept popping back up every time I thought I fixed it. 

Edit: Here's what doesn't work.

• Modifying the item count to a reasonable amount.
  • Deleting all the items and manually adding them back in. I would enter in the items and then click Give All > Modify 
  • I deleted all the items, saved PKHeX, re-opened the save and then got re-added the items and it still didn't work.

1AAAS.png

Edited by HaxAras

5 minutes ago, NinFanBoyFTW said:

Yeah. This was the closest I got to fixing it. https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/918916-pokemon-leafgreen-version/65509374 There isnt any good documentation on it. I know it probably needs a certain hex edit or action replay code

I can't tell if the Fire Red VBA save I have in my main folder is my most recent playthough. The HoF is corrupted and the trainer card data is also messed up. I know it also messes with your coin case. I thought I had infinite coins. I bought enough Clefairy (trying to shiny hunt it) to fill Pokemon Box and get my first surfing Pichu egg. 

2 minutes ago, wejhvabewjty said:

Does trying to store them in the PC and then deleting them from there work? It may do.

No it didn't work. I think that the item pouch (and I guess the money pouch) is literally corrupted. I probably have to manually fix it in a hex editor. But I dont know what to fix

PKHeX reads the security key from the 0th save chunk for FRLG at the following offset:

case GameVersion.FRLG: return BitConverter.ToUInt32(Data, BlockOfs[0] + 0xAF8);

For inventory items, PKHeX reads them as follows from BLOCK 1:

OFS_PCItem = BlockOfs[1] + 0x0298;
OFS_PouchHeldItem = BlockOfs[1] + 0x0310;
OFS_PouchKeyItem = BlockOfs[1] + 0x03B8;
OFS_PouchBalls = BlockOfs[1] + 0x0430;
OFS_PouchTMHM = BlockOfs[1] + 0x0464;
OFS_PouchBerry = BlockOfs[1] + 0x054C;

You can probably copy a donor save file from block1 [0x298-0x577] into your own block 1, and then re-save to fix checksums. Copy the Security Key too.

Be sure to grab from block 0, and write to block 0. Each block is 0x1000 bytes, and the block number is at 0x*FF4 (being 2 bytes). In the OP save file, block 6 is the first block in the binary. Block 0 is at 0x17000. Block 1 is at 0x18000.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kaphotics said:

PKHeX reads the security key from the 0th save chunk for FRLG at the following offset:

case GameVersion.FRLG: return BitConverter.ToUInt32(Data, BlockOfs[0] + 0xAF8);

For inventory items, PKHeX reads them as follows from BLOCK 1:

OFS_PCItem = BlockOfs[1] + 0x0298;
OFS_PouchHeldItem = BlockOfs[1] + 0x0310;
OFS_PouchKeyItem = BlockOfs[1] + 0x03B8;
OFS_PouchBalls = BlockOfs[1] + 0x0430;
OFS_PouchTMHM = BlockOfs[1] + 0x0464;
OFS_PouchBerry = BlockOfs[1] + 0x054C;

You can probably copy a donor save file from block1 [0x298-0x577] into your own block 1, and then re-save to fix checksums. Copy the Security Key too.

Be sure to grab from block 0, and write to block 0. Each block is 0x1000 bytes, and the block number is at 0x*FF4 (being 2 bytes). In the OP save file, block 6 is the first block in the binary. Block 0 is at 0x17000. Block 1 is at 0x18000.

Would you be able to take a look at my save for me. I cant tell im doing something wrong or if this save is pretty corrupted, but almost nothing lines up between my 2 saves at the exact same offsets (leaf green donor, corrupted save). Thanks.

Pokemon Leaf Green.zip

1 hour ago, Kaphotics said:

The offsets won't be the same in the two files; the donor has block 0xC as the first block, thus 0x3000 is block 0 and block 1 is at 0x4000.

Copy 0x4298-0x4577 from donor to 0x18298-0x18577, then copy 0x3AF8 to 0x17AF8, then re-save in PKHeX.

Is save corruption possible to detect with pkhex?? Maybe even have donor data to one click fix it? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kaphotics said:

The offsets won't be the same in the two files; the donor has block 0xC as the first block, thus 0x3000 is block 0 and block 1 is at 0x4000.

Copy 0x4298-0x4577 from donor to 0x18298-0x18577, then copy 0x3AF8 to 0x17AF8, then re-save in PKHeX.

I got closer but it still didn't work. This is what I got in PKHeX and I thought it was a good sign but whenever I add an item in game it shows up as a huge number in PKHeX. Also my money pouch is also corrupted so this wouldn't fix that (not a big issue) Like Sabresite said, if its possible to add the feature to PKHeX that would be awesome. I know a bunch of people who experimented with action replay way before PKHeX was out and messed up their bags too who would love to use that. If not that's fine. The bag is functional and I guess its mainly ascetic but I don't know if it could lead to worse problems since the bag is literally corrupted.Untitled-1.png.09308026b2344c3f7d5aa033339a57f2.png 

edit: also if you were considering it, here is a brand new save file as a donor if that helps. Thanks

Pokemon - Leaf Green.sav