Managing 3DS Saves: Using JKSM

JKSM is a 3DS homebrew application that can backup and restore save files for 3DS cartridges, and 3DS eShop titles (including GB and GBC virtual console). This tutorial will walk you through its installation and usage.

Prerequisites

In order to use JKSM, you will first need access to CFW or Homebrew. A comprehensive guide on how to set up CFW can be found here. If you do not have what you need, you can still use JKSM with homebrew access

Additionally, you will need to possess the patience and ability to read sentences.

Note: Options on screens may look different based on the version of JKSM you're using. I've tried to provide different screenshots, but if it's still slightly different, you're going to have to be flexible and adapt according and choose the most relevant option at that step.

Downloads

The latest version of JKSM can be downloaded from here.

Using CFW

CFW is the preferred way to use JKSM. Install the .cia using your favorite installer.
Then, launch the JKSM app.

Using Homebrew

1. Download JKSM.zip, and create a 3ds folder to the root of your 3DS's SD Card (if the 3ds folder doesn't already exist).
  2. Paste the .3dsx file into the 3ds folder
  3. Open the homebrew menu using your favorite homebrew entrypoint.

The Steps
0. You only need to perform this step, if you are trying to dump the save of a newly installed game, or if you have never used JKSM before.
Open JKSM and Select Reload Titles / Refresh Games.
image.pngimage.png

1. Open JKSM on your 3DS and click on Titles.
image.pngimage.png

2. Scroll down to and click on your desired game.
Note: You may need to perform Step 0 if you don't see your desired title listed.

In this example, we'll be selecting Pokémon Sun
image.pngimage.png

3. Importing/Exporting
FOR EXPORTS:

Spoiler

This step slightly differs depending on what JKSM version you're using.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Select Save Data.

Then, hover over New and press the A button.
It'll lead you to a naming screen.
(You're naming the backup)

Select Save Data Options,

Then select Export Save,
then hover over New and press the A button.
It'll lead you to a naming screen.
(You're naming the backup)

FOR IMPORTS:

Spoiler

This step slightly differs depending on what JKSM version you're using.

Before we proceed, do remember:
1. Your file in the folder MUST be named main
2. There cannot be other files in the same folder you import from (such as main.bak)

image.png

image.png
image.png

image.png

image.png

Select Save Data.

Then, hover over any of the named backups,
then press the Y button.

Select Save Data Options.

Then, select import Save,
then hover over any of the named backups,
then press the A button.

4. Exit JKSM, Power off your 3DS and put your SD card from your 3DS into your computer (if you use an FTP client on 3DS you can alternatively launch it instead). Then navigate to (JKSV/Saves/"your desired game"/"your folder name") Inside should be your save file.

[example of the folder names seen in image below. Notice how the folder matches the name given above]

5. MAKE A BACKUP OF THIS FILE BEFORE USING OR EDITING IT WITH ANY SAVE EDITORS.
image.png

EXTRA. Things to take note:
1. Your file in the folder MUST be named main
2. There cannot be other files in the same folder you import from (such as main.bak)
3. If you don't see any titles/games, from the main menu of JKSM, select Refresh Titles/Refresh Games/Reload Titles (differs based on JKSM version, but same function)

Old version of JKSM  CFW Guide below (ignore this, if you understand the content above)

Spoiler

1. After installing JKSM with your favorite CIA installer, open JKSM on your 3DS and click on "Titles".

Untitled-1.png

2. Scroll down to and click on your desired game. You may need to click "Reload Tiles" on the previous Screen if you don't see your desired title listed.

Untitled-2.png

3. Click on "Save Data Options" then click on "Export Save". Click on "Import Save" instead if you are trying to restore your edited save file back to your VC Game.

Untitled-3.png

4. Click "New" and create a new folder to put your save file in.

Untitled-4.png

5. If the backup has completed you will see a new save with the name you chose under your desired game.

Untitled-5.png

6. Exit JKSM, Power off your 3DS and put your SD card from your 3DS into your computer (if you use an FTP client on 3DS you can alternatively launch it instead). Then navigate to (JKSV/Saves/"your desired game"/"your folder name") Inside should be your save file.

7. MAKE A BACKUP OF THIS FILE BEFORE USING OR EDITING IT WITH ANY SAVE EDITORS.

Untitled-6.png

View full tutorial

Edited by NinFanBoyFTW

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

maybe try the "refresh games" options first

Oh, was I meant to play the pokemon refresh game at least once before exporting the save file?

EDIT: So I went back ingame and played the pokemon refresh mini game and came back here and still same error window....exported it anyways. Opened the save file with PKHex and it seems to open fine with no errors.....did some random edits to the save file like giving myself 9 999 999 pokedollars?....now I won't have to worry about being broke when I go shopping for clothes and accessories, I remember a bag in Pokemon Sun costed 300 000 pokedollars!! Then went back into homebrew, then to JKSM to import to the save file(this time it shows no error warning about not found....? Weird, not sure what it's didn't find in the first place that is has now since there's it didn't popup with the warning), exited out (why do I get a red screen of death with JKSM?) and booted up Pokemon Ultra Sun to try out my new save.....

...and lo and behold all the edits I made works!

Thanks for trying I guess! ?

Edited by Iispoor
update

3 hours ago, Iispoor said:

Oh, was I meant to play the pokemon refresh game at least once before exporting the save file?

EDIT: So I went back ingame and played the pokemon refresh mini game and came back here and still same error window....exported it anyways. Opened the save file with PKHex and it seems to open fine with no errors.....did some random edits to the save file like giving myself 9 999 999 pokedollars?....now I won't have to worry about being broke when I go shopping for clothes and accessories, I remember a bag in Pokemon Sun costed 300 000 pokedollars!! Then went back into homebrew, then to JKSM to import to the save file(this time it shows no error warning about not found....? Weird, not sure what it's didn't find in the first place that is has now since there's it didn't popup with the warning), exited out (why do I get a red screen of death with JKSM?) and booted up Pokemon Ultra Sun to try out my new save.....

...and lo and behold all the edits I made works!

Thanks for trying I guess! ?

No. what I meant was use "Refresh Games" option on JKSM lol ><

(as seen in the image in step 1)

2 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

No. what I meant was use "Refresh Games" option on JKSM lol ><

(as seen in the image in step 1)

oh, well i don't have that screen....maybe because CIA and homebrew is different? Or the CIA version he's using is of a different version where the UI has changed .... I was using homebrew app, by the way....

Edited by Iispoor

43 minutes ago, Iispoor said:

oh, well i don't have that screen....maybe because CIA and homebrew is different? Or the CIA version he's using is of a different version where the UI has changed .... I was using homebrew app, by the way....

perhaps its due to version. I use JKSM via homebrew menu, but it's on a CFW device, so maybe there's permission differences.

15 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

perhaps its due to version. I use JKSM via homebrew menu, but it's on a CFW device, so maybe there's permission differences.

oh, well mine's on stock 11.8.0-41E firmware....

Before that screen, I get title selection screen(which I think is homebrew's alternative screen for CIA's title selector screenshot in step 2 of CIA) and before that is just the hombrew menu...no screen on whether I should pick cartridge or SD/CIA as shown in the tutorial's first screenshot...

Does this program also export DS game save files, like Pokemon Black or Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Explorers of Time so I can edit those with PKHex and Sky Editor?

launch menu.jpg

title selector.jpg

1 hour ago, Iispoor said:

I should pick cartridge or SD/CIA as shown in the tutorial's first screenshot...

cartridge refers to save on physical cart.
SD/CIA refers to games installed onto 3DS.

Select the option, based on whether game is on physical cart or game is installed on 3dS.

Does this program also export DS game save files

No.

Use this instead

https://projectpokemon.org/home/forums/topic/45262-managing-nds-saves-using-checkpoint/

8 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

cartridge refers to save on physical cart.
SD/CIA refers to games installed onto 3DS.

Select the option, based on whether game is on physical cart or game is installed on 3dS.

Yes I know that, just that I don't get that screen on my hombrew version....

8 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

I thought so...because I tried it on my Pokemon Black cart and Explorers of Time and they weren't recognized.... Do you have an official download link I can download from? That tutorial doesn't link one....

2 minutes ago, Iispoor said:

Yes I know that, just that I don't get that screen on my hombrew version....

I thought so...because I tried it on my Pokemon Black cart and Explorers of Time and they weren't recognized.... Do you have an official download link I can download from? That tutorial doesn't link one....

Go to Checkpoint's Github page (google it)

On 10/1/2018 at 10:27 PM, theSLAYER said:

Go to Checkpoint's Github page (google it)

is this it? https://github.com/FlagBrew/Checkpoint/releases

EDIT: well v3.00 and older only works for me as the newer one just stops me at the yellow screen of death....and I can't seem to load any saves from any of my 3DS or DS carts...but can access the extdata if they have any....which I'm guessing are game updates and not actual save files....

WP_20181006_16_01_47_Pro.jpg

Edited by Iispoor
update

• 3 weeks later...

...assuming no reply to my post, I am guessing checkpoint does not work with homebrew.☹️

I don't use Checkpoint so I didn't reply.

Based on their github page, I see a 3dsx, means Homebrew IS supported.
(Unless the Checkpoint hasn't updated to work for newer FW, so can't help you there)

3 hours ago, Iispoor said:

...assuming no reply to my post, I am guessing checkpoint does not work with homebrew.☹️

You need CFW for Checkpoint unfortunately, it's not compatible with the old homebrew payloads which you don't need anymore on the latest CFW.

The 3dsx is for launching with Rosalina (Luma3DS) if you don't like to install the CIA.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Iispoor said:

16 hours ago, BlackShark said:

You need CFW for Checkpoint unfortunately, it's not compatible with the old homebrew payloads which you don't need anymore on the latest CFW.

The 3dsx is for launching with Rosalina (Luma3DS) if you don't like to install the CIA.

An alternative to Checkpoint is JKSM. It's a little older, but it should still work fine. It's been a while since I've used it, but it should still work with homebrew.

• Like 2

On 10/22/2018 at 4:38 PM, BlackShark said:

Aw that's damn shame...don't wanna try CFW because I've read horror stories of Nintendo banning 3DS consoles......regardless if you play online or not because they'll somehow know once you have CFW on it....

On 10/23/2018 at 9:15 AM, evandixon said:

An alternative to Checkpoint is JKSM. It's a little older, but it should still work fine. It's been a while since I've used it, but it should still work with homebrew.

Yeah I use that, but the problem with that is that it doesn't support DS titles, so that means i cant import or export save files from say Pokemon Black or Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time which I genuinely own on cartridge format....but wanna see what muck around things I can do with my saves......could max out the IV and EV stats of my party pokemons whilst still be within the legal limits, to make battling other trainers easier....

..speaking of which, how goes that Sky Editor with my Gates to Infinity save file that's been exported from a cartridge; got anything working like editing party pokemon stats or items or .....money...? Or really any progress if at all?

Edited by Iispoor

On 10/25/2018 at 11:27 PM, Iispoor said:

Aw that's damn shame...don't wanna try CFW because I've read horror stories of Nintendo banning 3DS consoles......regardless if you play online or not because they'll somehow know once you have CFW on it....

It might be different now on the latest firmware, but generally speaking, as long as you don't pirate software,  you'll be fine. It's not the same on the Switch, and I think they ported over some of the Switch's hack checks to the 3DS on the latest firmware.

Yeah I use that, but the problem with that is that it doesn't support DS titles, so that means i cant import or export save files from say Pokemon Black or Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time which I genuinely own on cartridge format....but wanna see what muck around things I can do with my saves......could max out the IV and EV stats of my party pokemons whilst still be within the legal limits, to make battling other trainers easier....

Try TWL Save Tool. It works with homebrew, but it will require that you have either PokéTransporter or Pokémon Dream Radar installed. (Disclaimer: I haven't tried it in quite a while, so I can't personally attest that it works on newer firmwares.)

..speaking of which, how goes that Sky Editor with my Gates to Infinity save file that's been exported from a cartridge; got anything working like editing party pokemon stats or items or .....money...? Or really any progress if at all?

Unfortunately, no. Unlike other save file structures, where data is located in the same place all the time, the 3DS Mystery Dungeon save files store data in different locations (e.g. saves with 40 items in the bag will be bigger than saves with no items in the bag). This makes it very difficult to reverse engineer the save file structure, as it'll require an almost complete knowledge of the structure. I lack the patience to do that or to reverse engineer the game to learn how it works, so I've instead been focusing on ROM editing, where I can reverse engineer file formats. It'll be a long time before I take another close look at the 3DS Mystery Dungeon save files again, unfortunately.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, evandixon said:

It might be different now on the latest firmware, but generally speaking, as long as you don't pirate software,  you'll be fine. It's not the same on the Switch, and I think they ported over some of the Switch's hack checks to the 3DS on the latest firmware.

...so I guess no FBI or Freeshop? ?? FreeShop is dead anyways because I was reading that Nintendo completely blocked it from working or something or the author left it for dead....

What of the likes of Sky3DS, Stargate, Gateway or any other flash carts? Would they be considered pirating software even though some people may use it so they don't have to carry more than one cart on me at a time? If these aren't considered pirated software, then I guess this would be the better bet for storing games over CFW......

What does happen on the Switch? What sort of checks are these...? I'm now curious...hahahaha....

Try TWL Save Tool. It works with homebrew, but it will require that you have either PokéTransporter or Pokémon Dream Radar installed. (Disclaimer: I haven't tried it in quite a while, so I can't personally attest that it works on newer firmwares.)

OH I don't have either; PokéTransporter doesn't exist on eShop and Pokémon Dream Radar is $4......you don't even know if the hack still works or not on firmware 11.8.0-41E.....

Unfortunately, no. Unlike other save file structures, where data is located in the same place all the time, the 3DS Mystery Dungeon save files store data in different locations (e.g. saves with 40 items in the bag will be bigger than saves with no items in the bag). This makes it very difficult to reverse engineer the save file structure, as it'll require an almost complete knowledge of the structure. I lack the patience to do that or to reverse engineer the game to learn how it works, so I've instead been focusing on ROM editing, where I can reverse engineer file formats. It'll be a long time before I take another close look at the 3DS Mystery Dungeon save files again, unfortunately.

Oh.....that's too bad.......wanted to spike my stats high enough so I could one hit KO the kecleons in the dungeon floors so I can safely get to the next floor....hahahahahahaa...oh well I guess I have to play legit now and wait till I'm like lvl 80 or something before I try taking an army of kecleons on again......

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2018 at 11:37 AM, Iispoor said:

What does happen on the Switch? What sort of checks are these...? I'm now curious...hahahaha....

?

On 10/28/2018 at 11:37 AM, Iispoor said:

OH I don't have either; PokéTransporter doesn't exist on eShop and Pokémon Dream Radar is $4......you don't even know if the hack still works or not on firmware 11.8.0-41E.....

Great news it works, paid $4 for Pokémon Dream Radar method! At least for Explorers of the Sky cart - my sister lost her Fuchsia Bow and wanted me to hack one in back because she accidentally saved after dying so she lost everything, so I thought screw it, I'll take one for the team! ......and I successfully hacked one back in and loads up fine on her 3ds console!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

everytime I try to exit after exporting in my pokemon ultra moon or moon saves my screen will freeze red on the bottom. I've tried a different save manager and the same thing is happening.  I'm using steelhax homebrew and i'm on the latest firmware