Add new routes/areas to HGSS

BAC

Firstly, I hope this is the right thread.

I'm studying software development in school, and I want to get into ROM hacking. Eventually I'd like to make a full hack, but I figured I'd try to walk before I run. I want to try adding areas like hidden grottos to HGSS, then maybe work my way up to an oasis/hidden town of sorts.

Does anyone know if this is possible? Can I use SDSME to make it happen, or am I going to have to get creative? I've tried to find info online and in these forums but can't find anything for gen4. It looks like AdvancedMap can be used for GBA title, which I COULD do, but Heart Gold is my favorite title. That's why I want to start there. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Noone will answer. Gen 4 hacking is basically dead. You can defineteley edit maps but, like everything else, SDSME is an unfinished, buggy, 10 year old shit tool(Its actually one that runs decent) and it will be a pain in the ass, even though NDS hacking itself is a lot easier and uncomplicated than GBA Hacking. Also you have to add new maps by yourself, which shouldnt be the problem since you can simply c&p existing maps. If youre into developement, i recommend writing your own tool. This link will help you and gives an insight into the NDS structure: http://trastindustries.com/romhacking2012preview2.pdf

Edited by irs
  • V-Wheeeeeel!!! 1

If you love HG/SS, could please discover where the slots leftover code could be and how play it via script? I restored the graphic file and found the text table, I'm interested also to clear the pokégear phonebook memory (I only did a cheat code to obtain it, but I want to do it via script) and update the list of the un-hold-able items, 'cause I full restored Rage candy and Slowpoké tail, but have to be un-tradeable.

On 10/15/2017 at 8:52 AM, Halfshadow said:

If you love HG/SS, could please discover where the slots leftover code could be and how play it via script? I restored the graphic file and found the text table, I'm interested also to clear the pokégear phonebook memory (I only did a cheat code to obtain it, but I want to do it via script) and update the list of the un-hold-able items, 'cause I full restored Rage candy and Slowpoké tail, but have to be un-tradeable.

I can look into it. By slots your referring to the game corner, correct?

If you still have the info you found, that’d be a great place for me to start. I probably won’t have time to work on it much before the end of this semester, but once I figure it out, I’ll be sure to give you credit for the idea and the head start. 

• Like 1

Will be better if you'll give me the way to do it in the rom, instead of credits. :)

However to delete the pokègear phonebook I did a cheat code changing something in the code to obtain all the numbers:

(ITALIAN VERSION PRESS L+R)

94000130 fcff0000
62111880 00000000
b2111880 00000000
d5000000 00000000
c0000000 00000008
d8000000 0000c0fc
d4000000 000000FF
d2000000 00000000
d0000000 00000000

(US VERSION PRESS L+R)

94000130 FFFB0000
62111880 00000000
b2111880 00000000
d5000000 00000000
c0000000 00000008
d8000000 0000c0fc
d4000000 000000FF
d2000000 00000000
d0000000 00000000

This code delete all the contacts except MUM. Restoring the other important numbers (like Oak and Elm) will be easy, not is a problem clear all the memory, trainers could be re-added again.

The slots (yeah, original game corner) texts are in the text group 436 (429 in the japaneese) the texts are cleared but the text group should be that, I don't know if however the leftover code (if still exists) refer to 429 or 436.

The graphic file for slots mini game is in Data/a/1/2/7 in both J and international releases, you can replace international (cleared) with J to test the slots ASM if you find it, could be maybe possible hack the rom to leave both Voltorb flip and slots available? Maybe yes, if you find the way to call the leftover ASM via script.

And for last could be very good if you could edit the list of the HG/SS exclusive items that cannot be held by a pokémon, 'cause I restored Rage candy and Slowpoké tail and now are not longer key items and then could be given to a pokémon and this not is good to avoid compatibility issues... But there are HG/SS exclusive items like Kurt's balls and Safari and Sport ball, Safari Ball and Sport ball couldn't be obtained in the bag in normal gameplay, but if you unlock them via cheat codes or via pokésav a message says that you can't give to a pokémon. Maybe if exist a "ban give list" for these items you could replace the sport and safari ball item id with Slowpoké tail and rage candy bar item id, 'cause in normal gameplay you can't obtain them.

Edited by Halfshadow