Sign in to follow this  
ajxpk

[Bug] Issue with Japanese Trainer Names in 3rd Gen save files

I just want to make a little bug report. Should be easy to fix.
PKHeX doesn't recognizes the Katana "ア" when I want to use it in my Trainer Name.
As a result everytime I edit the Trainer Info I lose my name... which was just "ア", lol...

Pocket Monsters - Ruby (Japan) - PKHeX OT Name Bug.sav

Edited by ajxpk

It occurs with イ, ウ and エ too. I didn't checked all yet but it looks like some characters are mapped correctly because オ is fine.

Edit:
More bugged Katakanas... シ, ネ &マ. And almost all Hiragana. The weird thing is that Pokemon Nicknames and OT Names are fine, shouldn't they using the same table?

Edited by ajxpk

It's just a bad save file (detection wise)

// Japanese games are limited to 5 character OT names; any unused characters are 0xFF.
// 5 for JP, 7 for INT. There's always 1 terminator, thus we can check 0x6-0x7 being 0xFFFF = INT
// OT name is stored at the top of the first block.

In the save file provided, the values are FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF for the OT; thus not being a Japanese save file.

However, if it was originally a JP save that was repeatedly edited (with existing code), it would write the 0xFF padding over that detection area, making it a non-JP sav.

public override string OT
{
    get => GetString(BlockOfs[0], 0x10);
    set => SetString(value, OTLength, PadWith:0xFF).CopyTo(Data, BlockOfs[0]);
}

OTLength is hardcoded to 7, so it ends up writing the 8 bytes of padding.

Fixed in latest commit, now writes padding how the game would (5 or 7 bytes of 0xFF), thus not breaking the JP detection. Thanks for reporting :)

• Thanks 1

Thank you!

And yeah, the save file was indeed edited. I just removed IDs and set the Playtime and RTC back all hack to 0 and stuff like that. But mainly because I always do that with test and research save files, especially when I plan to upload them... kinda one of my ways to mark my save files.

Edit:
Looks like it was not my editing. Things are getting more weird in an untouched Gen 3 save file. ア is desplayed as "¿" in the Trainer Info Setting.  
Maybe this is fixed now that it detects Japanese save files better but you might wanna check it out.

Pocket Monsters - Ruby (Japan) - Untouched.sav

Edited by ajxpk