Sign in to follow this  
evandixon

DACA

DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) is an executive order passed by Barack Obama that protects people who illegally entered the United States as children (called Dreamers because of previous legislation) from deportation, as well as allowing them work permits. Illegal immigration is a problem because they get benefits of citizens (employment, free education, etc.) without paying any taxes. Donald Trump recently wrote a new executive order that will repeal DACA in March of 2018, and now states are suing him for his supposed cruelty and prejudice against Mexicans. It is my opinion that these people who are suing don't understand how things work, and DACA should no longer exist.

Let's start with how government works (since a significant portion of Project Pokémon is not from the United States). In the United States, there are 3 branches:

• The Legislative Branch. This consists of both Congress and the Senate, and they are responsible for making laws, allocating money, and other things.
  • The Executive Branch. This consists of the President and his Cabinet. The President is responsible for seeing that these laws are carried out, among other things.
  • The Judicial Branch. This is also known as the Supreme Court. It's the highest court there is, and has the final say in disputes between these two branches (among other things).

In order to ensure laws are carried out, the president has the power to write an executive order. This is basically a law, but is more volatile, since writing laws isn't the president's job. An example of a executive order is the travel ban that Trump passed, which blocks travel by citizens of countries filled with terrorists (while it has good intentions for the US, the implementation made it problematic, and further discussion is outside the scope of this thread). Executive orders can be overturned by federal courts if it is found to be unconstitutional or outside the president's generally-accepted power, or by the current president for any reason.

My problem with opposition to the DACA repeal is that they have a fundamental misunderstanding of executive orders. They want to prevent the president from repealing a volatile order that was passed by his predecessor. According to CNN, Trump's reasoning behind this repeal is to make Congress pass a law that's a more permanent solution, because again, it's not the president's job to pass laws. When Obama was president and passed DACA, he was essentially doing the opposite of what he was supposed to be doing. The president's job is to enforce the law, and by ordering people to not enforce laws, I think that's overstepping his boundaries. According to Wikipedia, Congress at the time agreed and tried to defund DACA. However, DACA isn't funded by money allocated by Congress. I guess they just never bothered to bring it to the Supreme Court?

Just to be clear, I oppose DACA because of what it actually is, not because of the idea behind it. People who illegally entered the US as children likely didn't have any choice in the matter, and I'm sure many of them don't remember it at all. I don't think they should be deported, but allowing them just encourages more people to try to enter the country illegally for their children's sake, so there's no good solution for the time being. The US should probably get control of its border before trying to do things with the people already here.

Oh, and the supposed cruelty against Mexicans that states are suing over is BS since this only affects people who entered the country illegally. While it sounds worse than it is*, these people are technically criminals as far as the law is concerned (illegal immigration is a misdemeanor, but to be deported then come back is a felony).

* Where I live, I don't directly see any negative effects of illegal immigration (perhaps I'm just oblivious), but people who live in areas with lots of illegal immigrants may have stronger opinions about the associated costs.

• Ditto 1

12 minutes ago, evandixon said:

Just to be clear, I oppose DACA because of what it actually is, not because of the idea behind it. People who illegally entered the US as children likely didn't have any choice in the matter, and I'm sure many of them don't remember it at all. I don't think they should be deported, but allowing them just encourages more people to try to enter the country illegally for their children's sake, so there's no good solution for the time being. The US should probably get control of its border before trying to do things with the people already here.

That is true. What if DACA only applies to children that came in before a certain period of time?

Also, what about Congress passing a law that effectively replaces or better structures DACA, rather than killing DACA than waiting for things to happen?
While it won't prevent the motivation of "smuggling in your child", it won't remove the temporarily rights to those that are already there.

On 9/6/2017 at 9:50 PM, theSLAYER said:

That is true. What if DACA only applies to children that came in before a certain period of time?

The problem is that the border isn't under control, so in a few decades, we'd all be having a similar discussion again.

On 9/6/2017 at 9:50 PM, theSLAYER said:

Also, what about Congress passing a law that effectively replaces or better structures DACA, rather than killing DACA than waiting for things to happen?
While it won't prevent the motivation of "smuggling in your child", it won't remove the temporarily rights to those that are already there.

The DACA repeal won't take effect for like 6 months, which is hopefully enough time for a better solution. Seeing how many lawsuits there are, once people remember how the government works, I think Congress may look into another solution.

• Like 1