Information about Japanese PM1 & PM2 Event Pokémon

There was a Screenshot of a fake Event Magikarp floating around on 2ch or so. It was posted in another Thread but I can't find it anymore.
It had both Splash and Dragon Rage. Now with the Scan it's obvious which Moveset is correct.

@Mathias Ooghe Koiking is the Japanese name of Magikarp.
Sorry, that I tend to write things in Japanese here, but since this is about Japanese Event Pokemon it makes a lot sense to write things in Japanese, because it would be beneficial to get more Japanese people on board when it comes to the Research. So I hope some Japanese people who are interested or even own these old Events or have information about this can find this forum.

The source where the Scan is coming from is Offline. It was cached by Google.
I would prefer to get a Scan with better quality. But for now we can settle with this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQLLleR31hgdu_n_tExORN

That was actually the whole point of my message. It has only Dragon Rage.
And in case you plan to make your own Event Magikarp, I personally wouldn't recommend you to do that.
For this Event there will most likely never be an accurate reconstruction, there are just too many open questions.
For example... OT Name, IDs and IVs are Unknown... also I wonder if Japanese Gen 1 and Gen 2 Events had some kind of Trash Bytes.
We know from some of the English Mews that there are a bunch of Terminators after the Names in some cases, this might be the case here too. 
In other Mews however it can't be seen, maybe storing Events on Pokemon Stadium alters the Trash Bytes? Or another option would be that some Events differ...

The most important thing however... only 20 individual of those being distributed!
We all would love to have these Events, but let's stay realistic. It's extremely unlikely that we ever will see one of those.
I don't have much hope regarding this Event and Stamp, as much as I don't like to say it.

Regarding other Events however I'm not giving up yet.
My hope is actually bigger when it comes to the Mew and Pikachu Events and maybe Celebii too... 
If you ever hope to get one of these Events please pay attention to the more common Events.
As of now we don't have any Japanese Gen 1 or Gen 2 Event Pokemon and we are not able to reconstruct any of them.

Edited by ajxpk

2 hours ago, ajxpk said:

I'm not so sure about what I said before, I wished the Screen wasn't so blurry. But if you look closely at least you can see that the name is a bit too short for Dragon Rage which is りゅうのいかり in Japanese. The Move on the Screen seems to have 3 characters, so it should be はねる. Just an ordinary Magikarp... So that leaves the discussion about the Moveset open. Sorry for the confusion.

So yeah, I'm back now where I was before. I think it should have both Moves. 

The reason why I think so is because you can compare this with Surf Pikachu where the Special Move isn't overwriting another Move.

What's even more interesting is that this Magikarp was also distributed as a Trading Card:

0000889731.jpeg

Source: http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/item/itemInfoJa.html?index=293066

I wonder how much that card is worth. 

• 4 weeks later...

About the machines:

- Early cartridge distribution have slightly different hidden data
- According to this post, early cartridge distribution had consecutive OTID, but the starting number might be random? Maybe each cartridge had different OTID (and hence, mews)? I think the authenticity certificates were required at some tournaments on the early days to use mew, so maybe they really wanted each one of them to be unique. https://www.reddit.com/r/gamecollecting/comments/68u5h8/i_thought_you_guys_would_enjoy_seeing_my_pokemon/
- On massive events it seems OTID always was set to start at #0. This was the case on the PCNY pokémon according to Gold Ursaring each machine started over numbering when the event was changed.
- For what I know, the only shiny lock on gen 1/2 seems to be Mew at gen 2 distribution machines, which seemed to still have fixed DVs (otherwise it could have been shiny). I guess we'll never know location data for it, but seems the employee's there never bothered to change that, since even the shiny beasts at level 40 have met level set at 5.
- I've seen a couple reports of celebi machine distributing a shiny celebi.
- We know gen 2 machines can configure DVs, or at least have a shiny mode, since the shiny distributions at PCNY still had some randomness, unlike the Gen 2 Red gyarados (forced static DVs), and because of mew. Maybe it's actually just a "random", "shiny" and "mew" modes programmed on it for what we know (mew being automatic), since I wouldn't expect employees assigning the DVs manually on the machine for the output to be shiny. Maybe there's no mew mode and the machine just overrides the DVs when transfering a mew.

Imagine one of those machines showed up on ebay (I would certainly prefer one from PCNY). That'd be awesome.

Thanks to @Afepoke we have 4 Nintendo Space World Mews now. 

This is what I learned from the files...

OT Name: マクハリ.
If this really is from Nintendo Space World '97 it comes to a little surprise. 
I know that Bulbapedia states this but I have doubts that this is the case based on what I have read on some blogs and websites by people who went to the Event. Only ルイージ and ヨッシー were mentioned as OT Names... however I was able to confirm マクハリ for Nintendo Space World '99.
So it's save to say that マクハリ was distributed at that Space World Event. If it was distributed at both Events or not, it would be good if someone could confirm what's the real case...

Trainer ID: Looks incremented to me even though there is a gap between each number, but that's rather because they were likely generated at different times. At least the are pretty low numbers under the 20000 range, so it's save to say they aren't random.
I was already able to confirm incremented IDs for other Events so it should be no different here.

IVs: A1C5 which is no surprise to me. I was already able to confirm that other Japanese Gen 1 Mews had this too.
At this point however I can't confirm if its for all Gen 1 Mews.

Trash Bytes: All 0x50 = full Terminators.
This can be also seen in the Toys "R" Us Mews. Which even further underscores my assumption that these US Mews could be based on the Nintendo Space World 1997 Mews. Everything hints to it IMO.

Something else and this is a bit Off Topic but still important:
Trash Bytes, be careful about storing Pokemon on Pokemon Stadium. I saw that Stadium messes with the Terminators in some cases, I don't know how much since I haven't looked deeper into it and only did some simple quick tests with both the Japanese Pocket Monsters Stadium and Pocket Monsters Stadium 2 games. From what I saw in some cases it filled zero padding with terminators, at least in the Pokemon's Nickname which is an permanent effect from then on. So unfortunately it's save to say that Pokemon Stadium is a good way to save Event Pokemon from drying Batteries but it also makes an Pokemon's data "touched". It doesn't affects the legality, expect of course when it comes to Virtual Console Pokemon. I would recommend to never use a Virtual Console save file with Stadium if this matters for you. If it ever was fully analyzed how Trash Bytes in Gen 1 and Gen 2 working exactly it could be flagged by PKHeX.

Considering these are legit this is really a lucky case! What a great day! :) 

Edited by ajxpk

The trash bytes on pokémon nickname are altered too on gen 1 games just by storing in the boxes, because when the data is written it stops writting data at the terminator, so after it remains anything that was there previously. When getting a pokemon out of the box it will read the full structure instead of just the name until the terminator. This doesn't apply to nicknamed pokémon, since for those the nickname "trash" is filled with terminators as a way both to mark it as nicknamed and prevent the data to be overwritten.

EDIT: Here's the catch:
- This Japanese Gen 1 mew: Nicknamed
- ToysRUs mews: Nicknamed
- US mew machine mews: not nicknamed
- The only european mew we have: not nicknamed (this one was from a contest, only 30 were distributed, so maybe they used some kind of link cable distro and not a machine, but who knows).
- Celebi from machine (US, pcny): OT: special data; Nickname full terminators
- Celebi from machine (EUR, celebi tour): OT: full terminators; Nickname double terminator
- VC jap mew: different method used, but as effective (the english version screwed a little).

Probably all these differences come from different revision of the same machine, so suddenly I'm really interested in getting an european mew from mew machines, as I assumed they would be the same as in US. I know someone in germany that has one in stadium 2, but he's not really much interested on dumping it, even though someone in the same city could do it for him, I'll try again.

Edited by suloku

Yeah, I think you told me about the Box thing earlier @suloku. It's very unfortunate. I think if this is the case it can't be helped...
Btw. I saw that most of the western Mews had the catch rate 0x53. Which means they had been transferred to a Gen 2 Game at some point, because the original catch rate is 0x2D. I think I saw the same thing in the European Mew.

Again, I don't think this has anything to do with the event machines, it's misleading... we should rather try to separate each distribution.
What I want to say is, there is no difference whether you connect your Game Boy with a Game Boy that has a Distribution Cartridge or with a Super Nintendo with a Super Game Boy 2 with that Distribution Cartridge and a Link Cable and whatever they used in terms of a modified system for the cartridge slot... I think next to the software this is the most interesting question btw. about the System... what is that Slot... it could be a modified Game Boy or another Super Game Boy 2? Anyway, interesting to us is the software which is individual for each distribution, with some small or big changes.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure actually that the software they used for earlier Japanese Events was very similar to what they used in the machines, we are talking about minor modifications between, even the IVs look like they remained the same. Interesting to me is actually if there were really Mews with random IVs and what about Ninten Pikachu? And it seems at the end the algorithm became more complex over the time, if it's true they added an algorithm for shuffling the Odd Eggs. 

When it comes to the trash bytes the real reason for it is hardcoded right into the software. Apparently the software copies the full string, I'm pretty sure that this is the case actually because a terminator doesn't seem to stop the software from copying more string bytes, which is something we have visualized in the PCNY distributions. So, whatever the full string is... I'm afraid to say it could differ from distribution to distribution, depending on what they did with that string. To recreate an Event we would need at least one Pokemon of a distribution, to confirm the string for that distribution.

It comes even worse when we talk about the Pokemon Name, because in my opinion we are not able to recreate any Gen 1 or Gen 2 Event in its original state.
You already named it, because if storing Pokemon in Boxes alters the trash bytes, we can't even be sure if the Events we have are untouched.
We would need these Events in a state were they never were stored into a Box at all, or just as you said we would need a copy of the software that generated them.
I would love to have any of those to be honest...

Edited by ajxpk

1 hour ago, ajxpk said:

Btw. I saw that most of the western Mews had the catch rate 0x53. Which means they had been transferred to a Gen 2 Game at some point, because the original catch rate is 0x2D. I think I saw the same thing in the European Mew.

Yes, many were saved due to being stored in stadium 2. The european Celebi we have also was preserved in stadium 2. We could store a toy's r us mew into stadium 2 and retrieve it, see what happens with the data, I think that's something I've never tried actually, maybe stadium 2 storage removes the extra terminators in the nickname. In any case the EUROPE mew was never stored in stadium since the owner didn't have a N64, I can't say for sure it wasn't stored in another person's stadium 1/2, but why would anyone do that with his mew? There's nothing you gain or do by storing the mew on stadium besides storing it.

We can never re-create untouched events as we don't have any, but we can recreate ones that would become just as legit ones after they are stored in a box.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is the thread for this, but I figured I'd ask here. Has anyone tried activating this event on the VC console 3ds title (whether through cheats or transferring save file?) I'm curious as to if it will pokebank or not haha.

**EDIT** I'm not realizing that this is a Crystal event and not a Gold/Silver event, so I think my idea just got tossed out the window haha.

Edited by Gridelin
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Gridelin said:

I'm not sure if this is the thread for this, but I figured I'd ask here. Has anyone tried activating this event on the VC console 3ds title (whether through cheats or transferring save file?) I'm curious as to if it will pokebank or not haha.

**EDIT** I'm not realizing that this is a Crystal event and not a Gold/Silver event, so I think my idea just got tossed out the window haha.

You are correct that this is a Crystal only event, but you also have to keep in mind the event was only accessible in the Japaneses version of Crystal since that version took advantage of the mobile system which isn't present in all other languages of the game.  However, from what I've read that the Crystal patch that wasn't removed from the VC release of Gold and Silver, the mobile system functionality has been patched out for the Japanese version of the game.  So if there is ever a release of VC Crystal this Celebi event will most likely not be available and therefore would most likely not be able to be transferred to gen 7.  The only hypothetical Celebi that could possibly be transferred to gen 7 is if there is a Celebi giveaway similar to the one for Mew for VC RBY.  Which in that case the Celebi would have fixed DVs and therefore would never be shiny.

• Like 1

@suloku sadly international versions of Crystal may not get GS ball.

The Crystal patches bundled in VC GS doesn't seem to indicate any type of connectivity changes, to allow receiving GS BALL.

(and the patch for Japanese crystal makes Crystal unplayable)

Hopefully these aren't the final patches (but the international ones looks final) and they'll allow some kind of online or local infrared Mystery gift, where distributor transmits a GS Ball and players can receive it.

• 2 weeks later...

ツイッターに登場したコロコロミュウ2体について聞かれました...

これは本物のコロコロミュウではないと思います! そのようなデータで販売された古い中古カートリッジの多くのケースについて聞いたことがあります。 これが注目や好きなものを集めるためだけに本物であるという証拠なしに自慢するのではなく、あなたが実際にこの研究を支持できることを願っています。 次に、これが本物かどうかを判断できます。ご要望があればお手伝いさせていただきます。 私たちはみんなコレクターなので、一緒に研究に取り組みましょう。

実際には、何が本物で何が本物ではないかを学ぶのに役立つ指標が1つあります。ただし、コロコロミュウがデバッグモードで生成されたかどうかによって異なります。これは今のところ未確認です... 実際、コロコロミュウには2つのバージョンがあります。 最初の20コロコロミュウは森本茂樹がPCで作ったものです。それらのIDは00001~00020です。これらのミュウがまだ存在する可能性は非常に低いです...

しかし、コロコロコミックのその後のイベントのために作られた特別なポケモンバージョンがあったようです。たとえば、WHFで使用されます。 このポケモンゲームでは、ミュウを入手して通信ケーブルで転送することができました。次世代世界ホビーフェアで小学館が使用しました。これはコロコロコミックで見たミュウです。最初のミュウとマシンからのものと同様に、IDはミュウが生成されるたびに増加していました。ID番号は00001から始まりました。可能な最大ID番号は数百の範囲になると言わなければなりません... これは、既知のID00128およびID00250によって示されます。そして、使用されたカートリッジは1つだけではありませんでした... そのため、ID01024は疑わしい番号です。ID00008は潜在的に可能です。

それがまだ本物である可能性はごくわずかですが、データを確認する必要があります。何が本物で何がそうでないかを知るのに役立つ指標が1つあります。ただし、コロコロミュウがデバッグモードで生成されたかどうかによって異なります。

本物かどうか知りたい方はご連絡ください。自分でデータを抽出でき、私たちが協力して完全なデータを共有することを恐れている限り、完全なデータを交換せずにそれを行うこともできます。あなたが私に連絡するならば、私はあなたに詳細について知らせることができます。

時間が実行されています...こういうものがよく保存されていることを願っています。 これはすべてのコレクター向けです。 一緒に仕事しよう! 世界中のポケモンコミュニティのためにそれを行い、この種の驚くべき歴史のいくつかを保存してください。

Edited by ajxpk