Can UK English VC RBY trade with US English VC RBY?

Lum

Irritatingly, and a wasted marketing opportunity I might add, Nintendo of America has never distributed Mew to the 3DS releases of Red, Blue, or Yellow.

So I'm wondering if I could trade one over from a PAL system that legally acquired the event.

17 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

Why not?

In Gen I, the games aren't region locked, but rather language locked.

The VC Red on a US 3DS and a VC Red on a EU 3DS is the same.

If the gen 1 games are language locked and gen 2 games, any languages besides Japanese can work. What happens if you were to trade a German Magicarp from gen 2 to a French gen 1? Would Pokebank be able to tell it's language apart if you migrate it? Would it's name be treated as a nickname like in gen 3 or would it evolve with a french nickname like in gen 4?

I used to trade my English Pokemon to a Japanese Soul Silver to give them Japanese nicknames when they'd evolve. But they'd be wiped when going through bank. If a German Magicarp is given a French name as a Gyarados, would bank wipe it too?

(I can't test these at the moment as I don't have any gen 1-2 carts outside of my English Silver. I'd love to know the answers to these though.)

21 minutes ago, HaxAras said:

If the gen 1 games are language locked and gen 2 games, any languages besides Japanese can work. What happens if you were to trade a German Magicarp from gen 2 to a French gen 1? Would Pokebank be able to tell it's language apart if you migrate it? Would it's name be treated as a nickname like in gen 3 or would it evolve with a french nickname like in gen 4?

I used to trade my English Pokemon to a Japanese Soul Silver to give them Japanese nicknames when they'd evolve. But they'd be wiped when going through bank. If a German Magicarp is given a French name as a Gyarados, would bank wipe it too?

(I can't test these at the moment as I don't have any gen 1-2 carts outside of my English Silver. I'd love to know the answers to these though.)

Nope, Pokemon bank can't tell them apart.

Game Origin and Language of Origin is set to the game it was imported from.

In other words, if you had a ENG Magikarp obtained in Red, in traded it to GER Blue, then Pokemon Transported it, it's details will show its from GER Blue.
(Gen 1 doesn't hold the data for game of origin and original language, so rather than Pokemon Bank wiping the data, technically the data doesn't even exist to begin with, so PokeBank has to assign the data)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, theSLAYER said:

Nope, Pokemon bank can't tell them apart.

Game Origin and Language of Origin is set to the game it was imported from.

In other words, if you had a ENG Magikarp obtained in Red, in traded it to GER Blue, then Pokemon Transported it, it's details will show its from GER Blue.
(Gen 1 doesn't hold the data for game of origin and original language, so rather than Pokemon Bank wiping the data, technically the data doesn't even exist to begin with, so PokeBank has to assign the data)

Then using trading, that means you could get a bunch of interesting stuff. Like a French Onix with a German name that knows Teleport! (Yeah, you could just nickname it but that's not nearly convoluted enough to be entertaining to me.)

With Gen I and Gen II, the only language/region lock is to and from Japanese games. Japanese can only trade with Japanese. International versions are all cross compatible with each other.

@HaxAras

With Gen 1 and Gen 2 I'm sure the game's language isn't registered in an individual pokemon's data, since it doesn't register game of origin. So trading a French pokemon to German game would retain it's name, but evolving would give it it's German name. If you have a German pokemon from a French game and transfer/migrate it into Gen 7, it'd be considered French and nicknamed. However, this is assuming they have a different name between those two languages. Since game of origin isn't recorded, even if it was traded from Gen 1 to Gen 2, or vice-versa, when you transfer to Gen 7 it's game of origin would be registered to the game it was transferred from.

Certain exceptions to the pokemon's names are explained on TCRF better than I could:

Spoiler

The international versions of Gold and Silver can be connected to each other, regardless of language. However, letters with diacritics such as acutes and umlauts (except é, this exists in even English versions to print Pokémon) may corrupt and cause mojibake in languages which don't support these characters.

Japanese Gold and Silver can only be connected to Japanese Gen I and II Pokémon games. Attempting to connect to any other language will crash the game because the positions of data structures and codes in Japanese games are different to non-Japanese games.

Korean Gold and Silver, however, can be connected not just to itself but also to international versions including the Generation I games and Crystal directly without serious problems because Korean Gold and Silver is actually based on the international versions, even though Korean looks superficially similar to Japanese. The Latin alphabet is also present in Korean Gold and Silver as it is used in the credits and a few other places. Even the Time Capsule works correctly even though the Generation I games were never released in South Korea, which means the Pokédex is perfectly completable (barring the event-exclusive Mew and Celebi without using glitches) in Korean Gold and Silver.

However, connecting Korean and international versions has several issues: In the Korean games, names longer than 5 characters appear shortened or overflow in places. Also, characters with diacritics may cause mojibake in Korean games. And in the non-Korean games, Korean names become gibberish (non-Korean games were incapable of displaying them until Black and White) or cause the link to fail (certain Hangul are misinterpreted as control codes).

Edited by Deoxyz
  • Like 1

Tho 3DS VC enforces the language lock; it doesn't allow Japanese to Connect with International Copies ><

Data structure in Gen I and Gen II is really really limited.
That's also why all transferred balls are Pokeballs.

I rather they give us a mini-game to choose to recapture all the Pokemon (dream world style), this way we can choose what ball we want it to be in.

• Like 1
  • Ditto 1

5 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Yeah!
Though if Onix has teleport, I doubt it'll transfer ><

Teleport is a TM obtained just east of Cerulean and all kinds of non-Psychic Pokemon can learn it. 

https://github.com/ckohnke/PkmNewMoves/blob/master/output.txt

If I'm not mistaken, all the Spanish names are different. But a German Mantine's name is Mantax. It would still be an amusing novelty to me to mess around with. 

3 minutes ago, HaxAras said:

Teleport is a TM obtained just east of Cerulean and all kinds of non-Psychic Pokemon can learn it. 

https://github.com/ckohnke/PkmNewMoves/blob/master/output.txt

If I'm not mistaken, all the Spanish names are different. But a German Mantine's name is Mantax. It would still be an amusing novelty to me to mess around with. 

I just checked Bulbapedia, and Onix can't learn it. (unless Bulbapedia is wrong)
But other stuff can! Like Magnemite.. or Shellder.. or Voltorb.

A teleporting bomb, that's scary..

• Hahaha 1

2 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

I just checked Bulbapedia, and Onix can't learn it. (unless Bulbapedia is wrong)
But other stuff can! Like Magnemite.. or Shellder.. or Voltorb.

A teleporting bomb, that's scary..

Scary and hilarious! 

I found several lists online. Some of the moves are listed as being obtainable in later gens. It's such a nightmare to find a list of gen 1 VC transfer move Pokemon. So I have to base it off the ones I found. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/47qi5q/preliminary_gen_i_exclusive_moves_resource/

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/187276-pokemon-sun/74896945

Bulbapedia is also a royal pain in the ass to navigate though. I was looking at the Larvitar family and it was a headache looking at all the event exclusive moves, dream world moves, transfer moves and previous evolution moves. Only to find out half could be learned in later games.