Hello, people! I'm back. Looking to come back to Pokémon scene

Swadloon

Hello, people. I'm an old user called yuurei. After some years, I'm back. I don't think any of you remember me, since I didn't make any contribution to community because of my lack of knowledge. I used to come here to learn how to make .sav backups and how to get events which had already been finished on Pokémon games for Nintendo DS (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, HeartGold/SoulSilver, Black/White, Black 2/White 2), by using a single DS, an FTP and a slot 1 flashcard. People here were so kind and helped me (especially evandixon, if I remember well), but the site is completely different now, I can barely recognize it.

Unfortunately, my PC broke, so I lost all my data about how to do it. Things were even worse: since I didn't have any money to buy a Nintendo 3DS, I had to stop playing Pokémon :(

Well, now I got a New Nintendo 3DS XL with the latest update and all the Pokémon games released until now for 3DS (most of them are digital and are updated as well). So I ask you:

1. Where should I start reading to re-learn how to do the stuff I used to do with the old DS Pokémon games?

2. The last thing I remember when I visited this website the last time was that people finally managed to hack 3DS Pokémon games. So I ask you:

2.1. Is it possible to make .sav files and get event stuff I lost, as I used to do with DS games?

2.2. If so, do I have to "unblock" my 3DS in order to do that?

2.3. What kind of stuff I need to have to do what I mean to do? For example, I used to use a simple R4 flashcard with a homebrew program whose name I forgot and an FTP. What kinds of 3DS stuff will I need? Do 3DS flashcards even exist? If so and I'll need one, could you recommend any?

Sorry for my ignorance. I would thank you so much if you can help me come back to Pokémon/Nintendo portable gaming scene!

Edited by Swadloon

Hey yuurei/Swadloon, welcome back!

11 minutes ago, Swadloon said:

1. Where should I start reading to re-learn how to do the stuff I used to do with the old DS Pokémon games?

On top, Portal > Guides is where you can find guides.
An example, would be how to backup NDS games saves!

PKHeX supports Gen 1 to 7 hacking! Truly, a marvelous all-in-one tool!

14 minutes ago, Swadloon said:

2.1. Is it possible to make .sav files and get event stuff I lost, as I used to do with DS games?

Yup, we have a ton of wonder cards. All you need to do is to be able to access your saves!

15 minutes ago, Swadloon said:

2.2. If so, do I have to "unblock" my 3DS in order to do that?

If you got a compatible NDS flashcart, you can softmod your 3DS for free to gain access to CFW.
They have their own hacking guide, at https://3ds.guide/

16 minutes ago, Swadloon said:

2.3. What kind of stuff I need to have to do what I mean to do? For example, I used to use a simple R4 flashcard with a homebrew program whose name I forgot and an FTP. What kinds of 3DS stuff will I need? Do 3DS flashcards even exist? If so and I'll need one, could you recommend any?

Just properly follow the linked guide, if you're good at following instructions and do everything correctly, shouldn't take more than an hour.

If your 3DS is at the correct firmware, you should be able to use Soundhax.
(or if you have a compatible NDS flashcart, use NTRboothax)

Read through the guide, follow the steps, make sure you understand what you're doing.

You can get started by pressing the button on their site that says Get Started.

Do understand that there is a slight chance of bricking your 3DS, but NTRBoot should be able to fix it.

18 minutes ago, Swadloon said:

Sorry for my ignorance. I would thank you so much if you can help me come back to Pokémon/Nintendo portable gaming scene!

And I'm sorry for my wall of text lengthy reply (it was kind of necessary)

Have fun!

7 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Hey yuurei/Swadloon, welcome back!

On top, Portal > Guides is where you can find guides.
An example, would be how to backup NDS games saves!

PKHeX supports Gen 1 to 7 hacking! Truly, a marvelous all-in-one tool!

Yup, we have a ton of wonder cards. All you need to do is to be able to access your saves!

If you got a compatible NDS flashcart, you can softmod your 3DS for free to gain access to CFW.
They have their own hacking guide, at https://3ds.guide/

Just properly follow the linked guide, if you're good at following instructions and do everything correctly, shouldn't take more than an hour.

If your 3DS is at the correct firmware, you should be able to use Soundhax.
(or if you have a compatible NDS flashcart, use NTRboothax)

Read through the guide, follow the steps, make sure you understand what you're doing.

You can get started by pressing the button on their site that says Get Started.

Do understand that there is a slight chance of bricking your 3DS, but NTRBoot should be able to fix it.

And I'm sorry for my wall of text lengthy reply (it was kind of necessary)

Have fun!

Oh, thank you so much! I liked your reply, you don't need to make any apologies, it was very good! 

But just to get sure I didn't get it wrong:

1. So I don't need a flashcart at all?

2. After doing those changes, will I still be able to update my 3DS, keeping my digital games, playing online and stuff like that?

Thank you again!

5 minutes ago, Swadloon said:

Oh, thank you so much! I liked your reply, you don't need to make any apologies, it was very good! 

But just to get sure I didn't get it wrong:

1. So I don't need a flashcart at all?

2. After doing those changes, will I still be able to update my 3DS, keeping my digital games, playing online and stuff like that?

Thank you again!

With CFW, you're able to install the games straight to your 3DS,
so you'll be playing the game straight from your home menu, as though you purchased the game through e-shop.

Do read about how to prevent bans, as Nintendo bans people's 3DS from going online, if they detect any illegal software being used on it. (like save managers, game installers, etc) 
[side track: basically, it appears that when your wireless is on and you're connected to a network, Ninty's server can see and will log what you're playing at that moment.
so make sure you're only playing actual Nintendo released games when you're connected to a network,
and also make sure you installed games that correspond to your region.
<note, some games have differing game IDs for region. Best example is Mario Kart.
Pokemon XYORAS has same game Id across region, so it isn't a problem>
3ds.guide should have a mini-guide on how to prevent bans]

Yup, once you're on CFW, you can update without worries. :)

13 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

With CFW, you're able to install the games straight to your 3DS,
so you'll be playing the game straight from your home menu, as though you purchased the game through e-shop.

Do read about how to prevent bans, as Nintendo bans people's 3DS from going online, if they detect any illegal software being used on it. (like save managers, game installers, etc) 
[side track: basically, it appears that when your wireless is on and you're connected to a network, Ninty's server can see and will log what you're playing at that moment.
so make sure you're only playing actual Nintendo released games when you're connected to a network,
and also make sure you installed games that correspond to your region.
<note, some games have differing game IDs for region. Best example is Mario Kart.
Pokemon XYORAS has same game Id across region, so it isn't a problem>
3ds.guide should have a mini-guide on how to prevent bans]

Yup, once you're on CFW, you can update without worries. :)

Thank you so much again!

For the time being, I have no intention to play not purchased games on 3DS, maybe in the future, if I get a 3DS flashcart. My main concern is getting the usual backup/restore saves and getting event stuff I lost :)

Frankly, in this generation, Luma CFW is way easier to use, than Flashcarts.
Flashcarts can potentially be blocked by system updates, and if the flashcart developer is slow to update (since some flashcarts are closed sourced),
you'll be missing out.
(as opposed to Luma 3DS CFW, which is open sourced, so even if the developer drops it, the other contributors/developers can continue in their place)

• 4 months later...
On 26/08/2017 at 2:20 AM, theSLAYER said:

Frankly, in this generation, Luma CFW is way easier to use, than Flashcarts.
Flashcarts can potentially be blocked by system updates, and if the flashcart developer is slow to update (since some flashcarts are closed sourced),
you'll be missing out.
(as opposed to Luma 3DS CFW, which is open sourced, so even if the developer drops it, the other contributors/developers can continue in their place)

Hello again.

Sorry to ressurect this thread, but I have been very busy lately. I've found out a lot of stuff about my New 3DS (ver. 11.6.0.-39U):

1. It seems I bought it already with Luma, since when I hold Select, then press the power button, it appears Luma config menu (Luma 3DS 7.1). I admit I'm kinda frustrated: not just because my pre-installed games are illicit (but, well, that's not important, since they were installed through legit CIAs, so they got attached to my NNID when I created one; got no problem with Nintendo Network and no problem making purchases), but because I like hacking my own systems. 

(The pre-installed games are Pokémon X, Pokémon Y, Pokémon OmegaRuby, Pokémon AlphaSapphire, Pokémon Sun, Pokémon Moon, Pokémon Blue (VC), Pokémon Red (VC), Pokémon Yellow (VC), Super Mario 3D Land, New Super Mario Bros. 2 - Gold Edition, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, Luigi's Mansion - Dark Moon, Mario Kart 7, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, Animal Crossing - New Leaf, Yo-kai Watch, Zelda: Majora's Mask, Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Fire Emblem: Awakening. It seems all of them were bundled with some 3DS edition, that's how I found they were legit CIAs).

2. Since I've been so busy, I've even forgotten what I was trying to ask you on this thread (but thank you guys for the answers):

I got a R4i GOLD 3DS (RTS) on nds-card (with no micro SD, since I already have some) in order to do that thing on https://3ds.guide/get-started. However, I don't know if it is necessary doing anything anymore, since I found that it has already Luma CFW (7.1). If so, what's the start point to do something, since my 3DS is not "virgin" anymore? Should I do something? 

(Yeah, that's the disadvantage of having a console hacked for you... you don't know how it happened and how it works. However, I'm not going to risk to do it again if it's not necessary, because, as 3ds.guide says, there's always a risk of bricking it)

3. You said that through Luma I could play games through 3DS micro SD rather than using a flashcart. My New 3DS came with a 32 GB micro SD, but, because of the amount of games, it still lacks space, so I'd like to keep them on flashcart. However, I'd like to do it through micro SD as well. (Damn, again, having the console already hacked is frustrating)

But my main question is: my main objective is getting the save files of games (mainly Pokémon, of course), it doesn't matter if it is a digital copy or a physical copy, so I can edit it (mainly to add events I missed) and put them back. What should I do? (and what should I add to an empty micro SD to be used with R4i GOLD? The right kernel and stuff I should add directly to 3DS micro SD?)

Sorry, it seems I'm re-asking a lot of stuff, but the time I've been busy + the fact I've not hacked my own system made me confused.

Edited by Swadloon