NTRBootHax/Magnethax Released

theSLAYER

magnethax.png
The image is a joke, and is a gross misrepresentation of how it works. Well, almost.

NTRBootHax, formerly known as MagnetHax, has been released for public usage.
Earlier this year, with a combined usage of a Magnet and a NDS Flashcart, @SciresM demonstrated in a video that he gained early access to bootrom of the 3DS.
This method is also said to be able to salvage 3DSs' from the hell, that made them effectively a brick.

A magnet is only required for models that can be "flipped shut"; 2DS (non-XL) doesn't require this.
Possibly due to an oversight by programmers/hardware developers, the 3DS checks to see if Start+Select+X is held down, and if the shell is closed.
If so, the 3DS will attempt to boot from an NDS cartridge from the bootrom (with bootrom access).
Hence, the purpose of the magnet is enable a state that the 3DS believes that the shell is closed.

With this hax, it'll allow CFW installation, enabling the use of save editors like PKHeX and ROM hacks.

Sources:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/ntrboot-released.472585/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/poc-using-a-magnet-and-a-ds-flashcart-to-unbrick-a-3ds.472586/

View full article

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wrathsoffire76 said:

The sheer fact that this is basically unpatchable is amazing. Never have I thought that the 3DS hacking community would go this far before EoL. (I mean, B9S was an amazing feat also)

From what I read, it takes a hardware revision for this to be fixed!

I like how it has the capability to revive bricked 3DS!

Also as a side effect, it may revive some of the NDS flashcards market (LOL)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

I like how it has the capability to revive bricked 3DS!

Several months ago, a major part of the hispanic Pokémon community followed a tutorial by a famous youtuber to hack their 3DS, but due to an error by said youtuber, all those consoles were bricked and there was quite an outrage.

I guess they'd like to know about this, assuming they still keep their bricked 3DS.

Edited by Ruby Genseki

10 minutes ago, Ruby Genseki said:

Several months ago, a major part of the hispanic Pokémon community followed a tutorial by a famous youtuber to hack their 3DS, but due to an error by said youtuber, all those consoles were bricked and there was quite an outrage.

I guess they'd like to know about this, assuming they still keep their bricked 3DS.

Wow ouch, this is why youtube videos are said to be risker than the famous guide.

The only time I bricked, was when I wrote the file to wrong directory (wanted to write to emunand, but wrote to sysnand), and I almost couldn't get the unit back from the guy that was repairing it.

I like having a method (that doesn't involve hardmodding) being able to solve "all bricks" :)

• Like 1

While i'm more interested in the Switch now, I still have to give a kudos to the devs for this grand exploit. Perhaps Nintendo may address this issue in newer unit batches like they did with the Wii's disc drive (LU64+ Serial # IIRC)?

That being said I'll still do this method if I get the N2DS (or some LE 3DS I like) and it supports the SCDS2 flashcard.

28 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Wow ouch, this is why youtube videos are said to be risker than the famous guide.

The only time I bricked, was when I wrote the file to wrong directory (wanted to write to emunand, but wrote to sysnand), and I almost couldn't get the unit back from the guy that was repairing it.

I like having a method (that doesn't involve hardmodding) being able to solve "all bricks" :)

Some people are visual learners tho.

Edited by Holla!
  • Like 1

Sadly that's true.

visual and audio learners would like to simply watch a video and follow the instructions.

I used to be such a person, but I read that the guide is always being updated, and prevent glitches, so I've had to adapt.

furthermore that guide has been as simplified as it possibly could XD

tho I understand some people being adverse to it.

i had to sit my Friend down, to get him to do soundhax

6 minutes ago, Dio_Vento said:

Don't even bother mentioning HANS here. This hax allows CFW installation, so you can use Luma3ds LayeredFS, which is better than HANS in every way!

Removed the mention of HANS. Thanks for pointing this out.

With this hax, it'll allow CFW installation, enabling the use of save editors like PKHeX and ROM hacks.

We should probably mention LayeredFS at some point, but at least HANS isn't the focus anymore.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, evandixon said:

Removed the mention of HANS. Thanks for pointing this out.

We should probably mention LayeredFS at some point, but at least HANS isn't the focus anymore.

Yeah i just have had plenty of ignorant support questions from CFW users asking "how i use hans" for my hacks. Hans doesn't support CRO patching and it requires entire compiled ROMFS bin files on the SD, so vs LayeredFS it:

• Is less fully featured (cannot edit starters, shops in SM, legendaries in XYORAS...)
  • Takes up much more space on the SD
  • Has longer load times
  • Requires the user to either download a prepackaged ROMFS (considered to be piracy by Project Pokemon rules, so the files couldn't be posted here) or...
  • Requires the user to obtain their own ROMFS files, overwrite, and rebuild (introduces a lot of room for user error, PC issues, etc)
  • Is less convenient to load since it needs you to open Homebrew then load the HANS launcher (or a custom HANS launcher banner if the romhack includes it)
  • Cannot use game updates, meaning it can never go online and will miss out on possibly important bug fixes (XY Lumiose save glitch, for example)

HANS was a really good tool back when the only other way to use a ROM hack was by patching a .3ds or .cia file, but now that there's stuff like Luma3DS Game Patching there really isn't a need for HANS besides the poor souls that are locked out of CFW but can still use HBL. Thankfully with NTRBoothax, everyone in that state is one flashcart away from full CFW.

Edited by Dio_Vento
  • Like 1