Firered & LeafGreen GBA VC Help?

Sirnight

So I've injected a region-free cia of FireRed into my system, and it works fine (aside from the obligatory 'save file is corrupted' message that does nothing at all) But when I go to back it up via JKSM to do some editing, I get an error stating 'error opening save archive'. I tested with a USA version of LeafGreen, and got the same result, however the cias of Yellow and Crystal work just fine. I also have a cia of Emerald that I have yet to test, but I'd imagine it would get the same result. Is it something about the GBA games that messes things up? How can I fix it?

EDIT: I managed to somehow get it backed up (through a slew of error messages) and got my editing done, but now I can't figure out how to import it back in. I probably just suck, and the solution is simple, but for the life of me I can't get Decrypt9 to cooperate.

EDIT 2: Apparently the Decrypt9 error message means nothing, because it imports regardless. Well then. At least I know what to do now.

Edited by Sirnight
solution has been found

You can't backup GBA VC save files with JKSM, GBA VC does not work like GB and GBC VC, those games are run in 3DS via a emulator that read the game and the savefiles from different files that can be readed by JKSM, but GBA instead is run natively on the 3DS simulating a virtual GBA cartridge, the game itselft is not running in an emulator, that is why you cant access the HomeMenu in GBA mode

To do that the data of the game and the savefile is stored together and cant be extracted with JKSM, there is no indpendent save file to extract in the first place.

To extract and inject the savefile you must use instead GodMode9

https://3ds.guide/godmode9-usage

The section you want to read is "Backup GBA VC Saves"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlueBraviary said:

What drives me crazy is having to use an emulator to convert save size. Youll get a 64kb that has to be converted to edit, then re-converted before injection.

PkHex can now open 64 kb gen 3 saves, I don't know if it saves them properly though. 

12 hours ago, BlueBraviary said:

What drives me crazy is having to use an emulator to convert save size. Youll get a 64kb that has to be converted to edit, then re-converted before injection.

Have you tried this program? It's what I used to convert my save to 128 KB to use in Suloku's Mystery Gift editor. Try it out if you haven't :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BlueBraviary said:

How can I use it when all it does is crash when I open it?

I don't have the skill to suggest a valid solution, but I would make sure that you extracted the entire thing, plugins, extensions and all from the zip file. @Kaphotics, you seem to be pretty knowledgeable about this sort of thing, do you have a solution?

@BlueBraviary Oh oh! Sorry to semi-necro this post, but I just got a new computer and I believe I stumbled upon your crashing issue when getting the software set up! When you open it and it asks you to select a save file format, pick NDS, NOT GBA! Gba will insta-crash the software, but NDS works just fine for me. Try it out! :)

• 4 years later...