Emulator Help (Gen I to Gen V)

Hello all!

I'm a returning player of the main series games (last one I played was Platinum, waaaaaaay back in 2009) looking to restart my Pokemon adventure from all the way back in Gen I up till Gen VII. However, most of the older consoles / games out there are either too pricey / used for my liking (though I did get a 3DS for XYORAS as well as SM). To this end, would anybody be able to provide me with their recommended emulator choices for Gen I - Gen V games (currently using Windows) that enables access to trading (including link cable emulation) and Memory Link features, while also working well with PKHeX?

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

20 hours ago, owoqueoriginal said:

for gb/gbc bgb emulator or tgb dual
for gba visual boy advance 1.8.0

but i think that there arent any emulators that suport memory link

What's memory link?

For Generation III I'm using, Visual Boy Advance

There is also a Emulator that let's you play both I believe like Medusa.

Edited by Cloud9Skywalker
update on response

Do you still own the 3DS? that might well be the best console to play all the games on.

3DS:

GEN 1 is officially on the Eshop, the games support trading via WiFi

GEN 2 will be on the Eshop September 22nd, these will also support trading via WiFi. Unofficial CIA's exist which support WiFi trading however.

(You can import your Pokemon up to GEN 7 if playing the official Eshop releases of GEN 1 and 2)

GEN 3 is possible to play on the 3DS with custom built CIA's, you wouldn't be able to trade though unless you dumped your save and used an emulator on the PC to trade, then restored the save to the 3DS after.

GEN 4 and 5 can be played on the 3DS with a cheap $10 flashcard, although i'd say spend $20 and get a good flashcard if your going to invest in one.

GEN 6 and 7 are obviously 3DS games

So as you can see it is possible to play every Pokemon GEN on the 3DS, with full trading / link support with the exception of GEN 3.

Windows:

TGB Dual for GEN 1-2 (Supports link cable emulation)

VBA-M for GEN 3 (Supports link cable emulation) This will also play GB / GBC colour games, however i found the link cable emulation to be quite buggy so i'd recommend TGB Dual.

DeSmuME for GEN 4 to 5, this can link to GBA games, however does not support WiFi emulation, meaning you can't trade.

melonDS for GEN 4 to 5, this emulator is pretty new and requires quite a powerful PC, however does support WiFi emulation, so in theory trading should be possible. I've not tested this however.

Citra for GEN 6 and 7, requires a powerful PC, no WiFi emulation so i'd stick to your 3DS for GEN 6 - 7

I hope that's some help!

If you can spare the cash at some point I think it's well worth investing in the physical copies of Pokemon games, i've gradually purchased all the core games over the years. Some we're going pretty cheap, for example I got sealed copies of Black / White and Black / White 2 for £7 each. On the other hand Heart Gold / Soul Silver are going for £50 used here which is crazy.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

You need No$GBA in order to emulate 10ANNIV distro ROMs to GBA cart. 

I use VBA-link 1.7.2 for general cable trading because VBA-M's trading is bugged but VBA-M for regular emulation and linking up with dolphin (I have successfully traded between dolphin and 3rd gen games and received the bonus jirachi/celebi)

On 7/5/2017 at 5:18 AM, InsaneNutter said:

Do you still own the 3DS? that might well be the best console to play all the games on.

3DS:

GEN 1 is officially on the Eshop, the games support trading via WiFi

GEN 2 will be on the Eshop September 22nd, these will also support trading via WiFi. Unofficial CIA's exist which support WiFi trading however.

(You can import your Pokemon up to GEN 7 if playing the official Eshop releases of GEN 1 and 2)

GEN 3 is possible to play on the 3DS with custom built CIA's, you wouldn't be able to trade though unless you dumped your save and used an emulator on the PC to trade, then restored the save to the 3DS after.

GEN 4 and 5 can be played on the 3DS with a cheap $10 flashcard, although i'd say spend $20 and get a good flashcard if your going to invest in one.

GEN 6 and 7 are obviously 3DS games

So as you can see it is possible to play every Pokemon GEN on the 3DS, with full trading / link support with the exception of GEN 3.

Windows:

TGB Dual for GEN 1-2 (Supports link cable emulation)

VBA-M for GEN 3 (Supports link cable emulation) This will also play GB / GBC colour games, however i found the link cable emulation to be quite buggy so i'd recommend TGB Dual.

DeSmuME for GEN 4 to 5, this can link to GBA games, however does not support WiFi emulation, meaning you can't trade.

melonDS for GEN 4 to 5, this emulator is pretty new and requires quite a powerful PC, however does support WiFi emulation, so in theory trading should be possible. I've not tested this however.

Citra for GEN 6 and 7, requires a powerful PC, no WiFi emulation so i'd stick to your 3DS for GEN 6 - 7

I hope that's some help!

If you can spare the cash at some point I think it's well worth investing in the physical copies of Pokemon games, i've gradually purchased all the core games over the years. Some we're going pretty cheap, for example I got sealed copies of Black / White and Black / White 2 for £7 each. On the other hand Heart Gold / Soul Silver are going for £50 used here which is crazy.

I can confirm MelonDS support trading.

• Like 1