Colosseum/XD Legality checking is incorrect - a list of my personal findings

FlapjacksNsyrup

Hello! I'm brand new here but I've been using PKHeX for a little while now.

I decided to replay both Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD on the Gamecube recently. Upon completion of both, I traded over every single Pokemon from both games into my Emerald game cart.

I went and opened it up in PKHeX so I could transfer some easily into my Sun game and noticed a few things regarding the legality checking for Pokemon originating in these games.

The mistakes I've found are as follows:

• According to PKHeX, all Pokemon snagged in Pokemon Colosseum should have a 'Fateful Encounter' flag. If it's missing, it marks the Pokemon saying, "Invalid: Special ingame Fateful Encounter flag missing." This is not correct. Pokemon snagged in Colosseum do not have a fateful encounter flag (Only Pokemon snagged from XD do).
  • The Eevee you get as your starter in Pokemon XD does have a 'Fateful Encounter' flag by default but PKHeX seems to think that it shouldn't, stating, "Invalid: Fateful Encounter should not be checked." Again, this is incorrect and the Eevee starter from XD should in fact have a fateful encounter flag.
  • Similarly, any wild Pokemon encountered at PokeSpots in Pokemon XD do have fateful encounter flags but PKHeX wrongly says they shouldn't.
  • Finally, the Elekid (nicknamed ZAPRONG) you can trade for at the Outskirt Stand in XD states, "Invalid: Invalid Met Level, expected 0." This value should be 20, not 0.
  • New: Female Snorunt caught in XD, transferred to a newer gen, and evolved to Froslass is being marked as illegal. Invalid Moves, Ribbons, and Unable to match encounter from origin game. It seems to not make the connection that a XD Snorunt could potentially be evolved to Froslass later down the line. File added below.

All of this data was gathered by me personally. Both games were played through start to finish without any cheats, glitches, or save file editing (Minus the Colosseum Master Ball glitch :D). Basically, the data is accurate. I'm not sure how much you guys really care about making sure the legality checking for Colosseum/XD is 100% accurate but I figured I could at least contribute this information. Hopefully it makes it into the next patch! Any further questions, feel free to reply here or send me a message! Hopefully this helps someone!

SPECULATION: I believe some of these issues stem from the 'Origin Game' part of the 'Met' tab. Colosseum and XD share an option for Origin Game, when they really should be two separate options.

2 hours ago, javier_himura said:

It would be easier if Nintendo had used two different Origin Game values but this is what Nintendo did in GameCube. Pokemon from Colloseum and XD are created with the same origin game value, that means is not possible to have two separete options because the separete options never existed.

Possible Solution?: Would it be possible for PKHeX to check Pokemon species and 'met level' to determine which game it originated in (Between Colosseum/XD)? Then figure out if there should be a fateful encounter flag present or not based on that? Even though there are some Pokemon available in both games, the met level will never be the same between the two games as every encounter has a set level except for the wild Pokemon in XD. But even those, you can still determine based on species and met level which game they came from.

Edit: Examples of each kind of Pokemon are uploaded below.

Colosseum Shadow Pokemon: 234 - STANTLER - 76BA9444C749.pk3

XD Starter/Eeveelution: 135 - JOLTEON - 2BCE45382A22.pk3

XD Wild Pokemon: 231 - PHANPY - 712EE213A4D6.pk3

XD Elekid Trade: 239 - ZAPRONG - 2B43457A38A1.pk3

XD Original Snorunt transferred from XD (Legal): 361 - SNORUNT - 36150E9F6D0C.pk3

XD Snorunt transferred into Gen 7 now evolved to Froslass being marked as illegal: 478 - Froslass - 18500E9F6D0C.pk7

Edited by FlapjacksNsyrup
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, FlapjacksNsyrup said:

SPECULATION: I believe some of these issues stem from the 'Origin Game' part of the 'Met' tab. Colosseum and XD share an option for Origin Game, when they really should be two separate options.

It would be easier if Nintendo had used two different Origin Game values but this is what Nintendo did in GameCube. Pokemon from Colloseum and XD are created with the same origin game value, that means is not possible to have two separete options because the separete options never existed.

About the bugs i think some of that, specially the fatefull encounter one, was already reported and recent commits have fix for that. Could you check with the latest commit of PKHex?

Updated OP with the files.

38 minutes ago, javier_himura said:

Also, would it not be possible for PKHeX to check Pokemon species and 'met level' to determine which game it originated in (Between Colosseum/XD)? Then figure out if there should be a fateful encounter flag present or not based on that? Even though there are some Pokemon available in both games, the met level will never be the same between the two games as every encounter has a set level except for the wild Pokemon in XD. But even those, you can still determine based on species and met level which game they came from.

Edited by FlapjacksNsyrup

I've checked through some of the code but there's a lot to look through. And to be honest, I only have knowledge of general programming logic. I can't really code anything more than a simple text based program - so I don't really know what specifically to look for. I saw some legality checking to do with the XD Starter Eevee in there but as far as I could tell, I didn't see anything about Fateful Encounter flags there.