Pokémon Gold and Silver are coming to 3DS

Pokémon Gold and Silver will launch on Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console this September, Nintendo announced.

The re-releases will be available on the Nintendo eShop on Sept. 22. Pokémon Gold and Silver were originally released for the Game Boy Color in the United States 17 years ago. The updated version of the game will be compatible with Pokémon Bank, Unfortunately, the game will not be available for the Nintendo Switch.

This does now mean it's finally possible to import Pokemon from all previous generations in to GEN 7.

Source: Polygon

Edited by InsaneNutter
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, theSLAYER said:

actually, without Crystal, we can't get a legal shiny celebi.

Not a legal but a legit (if I remember correctly the event exists in GS too afterall) yes.

I'm pretty sure they can sell Crystal VC just with that event ^^

Was the PCNY Event Celebi in the old days able to be shiny? I can see some people are going to inject their old saves into the VC releases, and claim the Pokemon legit lol. Anyways there's the coin case glitch which can allow you get get any Pokemon so you can use that to complete your pokedex if they don't distribute a Celebi. Also speculating if they're transferred will they have the same Gameboy icon like Gen 1, or something different.

Edited by Rayquaza911

12 hours ago, Rayquaza911 said:

Was the PCNY Event Celebi in the old days able to be shiny? I can see some people are going to inject their old saves into the VC releases, and claim the Pokemon legit lol.

Even though it's legit on the GB games Pokebank would likely not see it as legit, similar to the GEN 1 Event Mew's we have managed to preserve. I imagine their will be a Celebi direct trade event similar to the VC Mew at some point.

Nintendo might possibly release Crystal in the future and have a WiFi event to obtain the GS Ball, or maybe even emulate the Mobile Center over WiFi, that would be pretty cool actually.

• Like 2

I know @InsaneNutter already gave a great answer, but something in me still wants to break it down xD

13 hours ago, Rayquaza911 said:

Was the PCNY Event Celebi in the old days able to be shiny?

Physical Retail Gen 1 & 2 events can easily be not legal nor legit in any capacity in regards to VC and Gen 7, when it has:
1. event moves
2. event location (gen 2 has this)
3. impossible shininess

[anyway, we got a page on PCNY Celebi]

coin case glitch

That's a form of Arbitrary Code Execution (fancy pants name that means you're effectively hacking the game methodically without extracting the save or ram, with the coding knowledge).

General consensus is that it isn't legal.
(I mean, we could use Glitzer Popping to get Shiny Celebi in Gen 3. Still isn't legal)

At this stage, the only legal/legit Shiny Celebi would be:
a. they release Pokemon Crystal + an official way to activate the event + Poketransporter sends it
b. they give away a Shiny Celebi via some real life event (wonder cards or trade-for events, basically)

Also speculating if they're transferred will they have the same Gameboy icon like Gen 1, or something different.

It was discovered early on that Pokemon Sun and Moon had programmed 7 titles to use the same Gameboy Icon.
4 Existing titles is Red, Blue, Yellow and Green.
Logically, the remaining 3 tiles are Gold, Silver and Crystal.

1 hour ago, InsaneNutter said:

Nintendo might possibly release Crystal in the future and have a WiFi event to obtain the GS Ball, or maybe even emulate the Mobile Center over WiFi, that would be pretty cool actually.

I'm waiting for this. I need this.

//---edit---//

Also, a good reason for some, to be not too surprised with the 2 new Alola Games,
because it was also discovered that there were 2 other games reserved for the Alolan symbol (or at least gen 7 symbol)
<ID 32 & 33>

[do note that there were 2 unused slots that had the Gen 6 pentagon, so the above news at that time didn't have completely solid standing]
<ID 28 & 29>

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/6/2017 at 8:49 AM, jojo12100 said:

Not a legal but a legit (if I remember correctly the event exists in GS too afterall) yes.

I'm pretty sure they can sell Crystal VC just with that event ^^

I am sure they would come out with an event Celebi for Gold/Silver VC, like they did with gen 1 Red/Blue/Yellow. We can at least try and use the coin case glitch to get Celebi, make it shiny, and change the trainer name/ID to match the event Celebi so we can trick Pokebank like with Mew. I actually hunted the gen 1 Mew shiny, I had to use the F8 glitch to change the trainer name/ID to transfer it though.

• 1 month later...

Considering how the wireless functions worked with Crystal, I doubt it will be utilized. This has to do with the way it did HTTP requests (static url among other things) and that they most likey will not fix any issues or features.  If they don't do a trade celebi, then like insane nutter said, most likely a pokemon bank event that injects the GS ball. That is of course if they ever release Crystal lol.

• Like 1

Speaking of that, I find it odd that they never distributed a Mew for VC in the US, but did so in Europe and Japan. I once read it's likely because Americans in general tend to not participate in "real life" events compared to WiFi, but I don't know how true that claim is. In a way that concerns me about how they'll handle Celebi in the US, assuming Crystal doesn't get re-released. It's not really fair to the average player who can't just inject the European version instead.

If the idea of doing local trade for Mew was to mimic the original experience, then I'd expect that to also be how they do it for Celebi. Though since the GS Ball was Internet, getting it through PokeBank is plausible, if we do actually end up getting Crystal. In that case there'd be no reason to skip the US this time.

The boxed versions with a download code are now on the Nintendo UK store for pre-order: https://store.nintendo.co.uk/games/nintendo-3ds/pokemon-gold-version-pokemon-silver-version.list - £8.99 each + £1.99 delivery.

Hopefully they will be available from Amazon or Game for a similar price, as they will usually do free delivery.

I'd love for the GS ball to be done though Pokebank, that would be a great modern take on a classic event.

Is it wrong i'm more excited for Gold / Silver than Ultra Sun and Moon?

• Like 1

@Deoxyz yeah I too, heard of that, but I'm unsure if that was the reason for it.
Plus, they could always bundle the event with Pokemon GO.
Pokemon Go's event had a lot of people in the US. Niantic just needs to.. not screw that part up.

@InsaneNutter & @jasenyoface I'll say that it's because we've yet to see juicy details of USUM XD
I hope that the cheap GS boxes comes to the local game store, but then again my 3DS with me is JP region ><

@Holla! to get PKHeX to support it, the save offsets needs to be documented.
I've considered doing it (since I've did the Japanese one before), but I've been busy :/

• Amazed 1

56 minutes ago, ajxpk said:

I thought a lot about it, but now I think they won't release Crystal. As cool as it would be and I admit it. 
But especially when it comes to the Japanese Version... if they don't patch it in any kind of way they literally would release an unfinished game.
The Pokemon Communication Center would still be there, the Battle Tower would still be there...
I really can't imagine they would release a game like this. But I also can't imagine that they would put much effort into this.

What's to stop them simply keeping the area's inaccessible? maybe have someone stood in front of it, saying all these years later it's closed down (which is true) that would take very little effort to do and doesn't really ruin the game at all, or require any major alterations.

Looking at the Yellow VC game, the effort was made to keep the Surfing Pikachu game accessible without having to link up to Pokemon Stadium. That proves some effort is been made to tweak the games where required.

56 minutes ago, ajxpk said:

By the way... even if they release Crystal, the chance that they patch the GS Ball into the save file via PokeBank is unlikely IMO, considering they never did something like that before.
It doesn't really sounds like the Pokemon Company/GameFreak to me... so I'm not sure why they would do it that way...
I think the only Celebii we might see in Gen 2 VC will be similar to Mew Gen 1 VC.

Nintendo had also never re-released the Pokemon GameBoy games before last year, the effort was made to patch in WiFi trading and update PokeTransporter to be able to read the VC saves and import Pokemon. I wouldn't say it doesn't sound like the Pokemon Company / GameFreak to me personally.

By April 2016 the GEN 1 VC games had sold 1.5 million copies so $9.99 * 1.5 million = almost $15 million profit, for what was probably not that much work. If Crystal is released at a later date it will sell in my opinion.

Will Nintendo release it? i honestly don't know. Sure it's wishful thinking they will and and have a modern day WiFi event, however I personally don't think it would be really that difficult to do if Nintendo wanted to do it.

It's probably not that much effort to drop a guy in front of the door or somewhere to block access, that fixes Crystal up with very little effort.

You do make a point with events though. The UK one was ultra limited. It was in one city, in the middle of the working week, for one night, where (i think 50) people had the chance of winning an invite online. So with those odd's we did pretty well for two different people who are on this site to actually attend and obtain the event. Most people will be oblivious it ever happened unless they read about it online.

With that in mind i guess you could say only Japan really had a proper event, which does make me re-think how much Nintendo care for VC events sadly.

I do still think it's quite possible for Crystal to get a release in the future though, as I really don't think it would be much effort to fix that up. However event wise you have made me re-think.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...