Pokémon Gold and Silver are coming to 3DS

Turns out the UK VC Mew for Gen. I is broken when traded to Gen. II, because they had marked it as nicknamed and set the empty name spaces to 00 rather than 50, which makes it display as MEW??????? in-game.

Also they specifically skipped one title ID per region to leave room for Crystal (goes JPN Gold 0004000000172300, JPN Silver 0004000000172400, ENG Gold 0004000000172600, ENG Silver 0004000000172700, GER Gold 0004000000172900, GER Silver 0004000000172A00, etc.) Gen. I went JPN Red 0004000000170C00 all the way to ITA Yellow 0004000000171e00 without skipping numbers.

6 hours ago, ajxpk said:

@theSLAYER saw it at @SciresM's Twitter.
And a GBA BIOS is in there too... 

Actually I tested the patches before SciresM posted lol,
since I was aware they bundled all the patches together previously.

But I totally wasn't aware of the gba bios XD

3 hours ago, Sabresite said:

How do we apply these patches to current Crystal?

there's a folder with the game, swap out the game with Crystal, rename the game to match the patch.
(it's similar to the internal name of the game, seen at 0x13F)

However, I'm having issues with Japanese Crystal; it crashes the 3DS. ENG Crystal worked fine for me, and it trades!

23 minutes ago, Ammako said:

Turns out the UK VC Mew for Gen. I is broken when traded to Gen. II, because they had marked it as nicknamed and set the empty name spaces to 00 rather than 50, which makes it display as MEW??????? in-game.

Also they specifically skipped one title ID per region to leave room for Crystal (goes JPN Gold 0004000000172300, JPN Silver 0004000000172400, ENG Gold 0004000000172600, ENG Silver 0004000000172700, GER Gold 0004000000172900, GER Silver 0004000000172A00, etc.) Gen. I went JPN Red 0004000000170C00 all the way to ITA Yellow 0004000000171e00 without skipping numbers.

Yeah, because they use the wrong terminator, it means the remaining characters in the names are corrupted.

Yeah, they indeed left enough space, hahaha.

2 minutes ago, ajxpk said:

How about the Japanese Mew? Can't remember its Trash Bytes. I hope it's fine. 

Btw. I have read the patch for Japanese Crystal. It appears they patched the Mobile System Boot Logo away which is strange. Almost makes me wondering if it's activated by default. Otherwise this doesn't make sense, because the Boot Logo can be only seen after the Mobile System Activation. Why would they patch it?

If I recall correctly the Japanese one also uses invalid terminators.
I had a post that details the breakdown of the Mew's data, but I can't find it right now.

Also, I found it oddly suspicious that the patch for the Japanese Crystal, is the largest of them all. (and that I couldn't boot it)

4 minutes ago, Sabresite said:

So trading from gen 1 to 2 is working? Nice. 

Also mew from gen 1 to 2 to bank means corrupted name in gen 7? Sigh....

Actually we don't know if they'll ignore the invalid terminator if transferred from Gen 2, or even worse, not allow the transfer.

they ignored the terminator from Gen 1 (or maybe they simply treated it as an invalid name and renicknamed it)

its better to glitch mews in this game then rby since the cloning is much safer in this game and won't corrupt you save. also coincase is much safer then 8f i crashed the game once with 8f and my save file is gone ive crashed pokemon gold a few times with coin case and nothing happed to my save . i also can't get mystery gift to work on crystal.

Edited by hacks

48 minutes ago, hacks said:

its better to glitch mews in this game then rby since the cloning is much safer in this game and won't corrupt you save. also coincase is much safer then 8f i crashed the game once with 8f and my save file is gone ive crashed pokemon gold a few times with coin case and nothing happed to my save . i also can't get mystery gift to work on crystal.

Maybe the Crystal patches aren't complete.
I can't even load up japanese crystal (lol)

11 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

Also, I found it oddly suspicious that the patch for the Japanese Crystal, is the largest of them all. (and that I couldn't boot it

The only reason I could imagine for this is that they might have removed the communication center to match international versions.

I hope they will release Crystal soon, they already gave enough hints. It's far more interesting than GS.....

• Like 2

My boxed copies had arrived when I got home today. The only thing in the box was the actual download code, no poster, magnet or any bonus content.

For anyone who wants to see:

pokemon-gs-3ds.jpg.6e40c22c4135d2d2859d382c3b6500aa.jpg

I thought it would be neat to do a Pokemon GEN 2 though the generations photo:

pokemon-gen-2.jpg.d1b5c747d683068681a5af6ebdb6a0b9.jpg

Time to start my GEN 2 adventure on the 3DS :)

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Poke J said:

At the moment what save manager can we use to extract and inject saves with?  Currently JKSM isn't recognizing the game on the system and SaveDataFiler corrupts the save every time I attempt to inject a save.

you can do a backup with the Jksm, you need "Refresh Games" to recognize the new titles, and the choose SD/CIA ->Pokemon Gold or Silver.

Edited by puchamon
  • V-Wheeeeeel!!! 1

1 hour ago, Poke J said:

At the moment what save manager can we use to extract and inject saves with?  Currently JKSM isn't recognizing the game on the system and SaveDataFiler corrupts the save every time I attempt to inject a save.

I used SaveDataFiler, start a new game on the 3DS and save it.

Now export the save with SaveDataFiler

Keep in mind if you are injecting a save from an original game cartridge or emulator then you need to open the save in an hex editor (HxD is easy to use and free) and delete the last two lines of the save file like so:

pokemon-gen-2-vc-save.jpg.c6ae70d413f256f94614febdbc769343.jpg

After doing this save the modifications on HxD and then rename your save file to sav.dat

You can now overwrite the sav.dat you dumped with the sav.dat you wish to restore.

Finally restore the save with SaveDataFiler and be sure to then find the games title in user tab of SaveDataFiler and delete the secure value (01726 = Pokemon Gold, 01727 = Pokemon Silver)

Your save should load perfectly fine then.

Their is a tool here that should do the above hex editing for you, however my save game always showed up as corrupted when i tried to use that: 

Edited by InsaneNutter
Added more info
  • Like 1

is corious, these titles have the modified attacks, for example, splash makes a new animation and low the life bar along with pokemon when attack.
Others Attacks, darken the screen, for example thunderbolt or thunderpunch.

Edited by puchamon

Since I just now installed the games to my 3DS, I just wanted to share that Mystery Gift does in fact use the 3DS infrared port (It's even stated on the built-in Manual), which is a neat throwback.

I also had trouble injecting my saves created from VBA that caused it to corrupt, then I found out that the saves need to be 32.0 KB (32,784 bytes); which mine were 32,812 bytes. So I shaved those extra bytes off in HxD (making it have 800F offsets) and it works flawlessly now. :)

Now to research the data which I couldn't.. :P

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, This Remedy said:

I can confirm - I have attempted and receive an "Error" from the Pokémon Pikachu 2.  The batteries were replaced shortly before trying it, so unless my Pokémon Pikachu 2 is defective, it's a no go.

and here I was hoping for some kind of Gen 2 retro Gameboy to Gen 2 3DS functionality.

I wonder why it isn't supported..

• Like 1