Which Pokémon is better (Mew or Mewtwo)?

Which Pokémon is better (Mew or Mewtwo)?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which Pokémon is better (Mew or Mewtwo)?

Which Pokémon do you think is better? Mew or Mewtwo?

Mew has an excellent array of attacks & can learn some which Mewtwo cannot learn (& can unleash Z-Moves in Gen VII)

Meanwhile, Mewtwo has not one, but 2 badass Mega Evolutions (the only other poke with 2 Megas is Charizard), meaning they both sit in a class of their own as far as Megas are concerned.

Tell us which one YOU like better in the comments, if you wish to that is...

Mew, because she makes a pretty big appearence in Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon.

Spoiler

mew.PNG

Turns out your partner was originally Mew, having been reborn as a starter Pokemon.

Edited by evandixon
  • V-Wheeeeeel!!! 1

Better on what?
- Stats: mewtwo
- Baddass: Mewtwo
- Versatility: Mew (due to being able to learn almost any move)
- Cuteness: Mew
- MO slave: Mew

Also, Mewtwo has 2 mega evolutions, while mew has a signature z-move

Personally, mew is my favorite one due to it's mysterious nature in the original games and being the first event legendary (which I only managed to personally get my hands on a gen 1 legit one after 18 years, adding some more personal meaning). Also, it's the last one I got on my original gen 1 pokédex (a gamesharked clone, but I didn't know the difference back then. It's a shame that with so many legendaries that came after it hasn't been able to stay top tier, even some non-mega non-legendary are on par with Mew stats wise.

I am not sure what the nature of this question is.

Competitively speaking, two play different roles. Mew is more versatile and can fulfill many roles, while Mewtwo is a powerful attacker with two Mega forms to boot, although Mega Mewtwo Y is pretty useless and you are better off using regular one (they allocated the stats wrong and that is one thing they MUST fix). Mew is useful as Baton Passing valuable stats, or utility with other moves, or even just straight up attacking if you want. The fact it is unpredictable makes it useful in many battles, but generally banned in official tourneys because it is a special mon. Mewtwo is almost always banned too and I guess I can safely say there was nothing as powerful as RGBY Mewtwo. Mewtwo is almost always offensive in nature, but can also play defensively because it has some decent defences (it is akin to Swampert's/Garchomp's number wise). One on one Mewtwo almost always wins, but that's not Pokemon: it's really how well they fit in your team.

Yeah and Mew does not learn every moves, just every TMs/HMs/tutors. The one that can potentially learn all is Smeargle, but its stats are not nearly as usable, so it is relegated as utility.

EDIT: This isn't really a debate thread. I'm moving this to Franchise or something.

• Like 2

Some genderless Pokemon in the Mystery Dungeon have genders for all intents and purposes, including a certain character from Explorers of Sky (spoilers):

Spoiler

Celebi. Everyone calls her a "she", and she's in love with Grovyle (despite denying it).

4 hours ago, coltonsmogon said:

However, Mew may not be a she. It's technically an it, as we don't know it's real gender (it's never been revealed).

I call Mew a "she" because... (PSMD spoilers)

Spoiler

Mew, the player's partner, was reborn as a starter Pokemon. While the English translation does its very best to avoid gendered pronouns, the French translation (and others, can't remember which ones though) can't avoid gender, so they assume the player to be male and the partner to be female.

I had a little doubt, actually, (since I haven't gotten to the epilogue in my French playthrough yet) but I looked it up, and Mew's also directly referred to  as female. "Elle est adorable. ... C'est une autre personne... Ce n'est pas la Mew des temps enciens non plus...". I bolded the parts that indicate gender. If Mew was truely genderless, it would be referred to using male pronouns.

12 hours ago, evandixon said:

Some genderless Pokemon in the Mystery Dungeon have genders for all intents and purposes, including a certain character from Explorers of Sky (spoilers):

Reveal hidden contents

Celebi. Everyone calls her a "she", and she's in love with Grovyle (despite denying it).

I call Mew a "she" because... (PSMD spoilers)

Reveal hidden contents

Mew, the player's partner, was reborn as a starter Pokemon. While the English translation does its very best to avoid gendered pronouns, the French translation (and others, can't remember which ones though) can't avoid gender, so they assume the player to be male and the partner to be female.

I had a little doubt, actually, (since I haven't gotten to the epilogue in my French playthrough yet) but I looked it up, and Mew's also directly referred to  as female. "Elle est adorable. ... C'est une autre personne... Ce n'est pas la Mew des temps enciens non plus...". I bolded the parts that indicate gender. If Mew was truely genderless, it would be referred to using male pronouns.

We all know the truth, Celebi. Stop hiding him, because we all know about the relationship. And plus, if it was truly genderless, we would be using neuter pronouns (it/itself/whatever).

Edited by coltonsmogon

In spanish you would use the male pronouns when referring to animals which gender you don't know (which may sound as assuming it's a male, but it isn't), unless you already know it's gender beforehand, but even when people know the animal is a female you may still refer to it as a male if you are using the animal's name (i.e. "a dog"->"un perro" regardless of it being male or female, but you could also say "una perra" if you know it's female).

I for example would say "un jynx" or "un chansey" even though I know they are female only species. I rarely refer to any pokémon as a female if talking about species (maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I do the same when referring to animals).

If translators used female pronouns it's either because they translated a script that already had a gender or because the original script wanted to emphasize a gender over the other, or maybe it's just some kind of politics in there, not wanting to refer to all legendaries as male and giving the more "cute" ones some female traits, and if you think it deep enough I don't know which is worse.

Also, colective nouns are also male or female, even though they would include individuals from different genders.

In the end I think that scripters at the MD games only wanted to humanize pokémon so they wen with genders instead of "it" (well, I haven't played any MD game).

13 hours ago, wraith89 said:

although Mega Mewtwo Y is pretty useless and you are better off using regular one (they allocated the stats wrong and that is one thing they MUST fix).

Sorry for the little offtopic, but I'm not into competitive play and I'm quite curious about this and how "should" MMY stats be. Was that on purpose to underpower it? I don't see a reason since it's already normally banned from competitions...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, suloku said:

In spanish you would use the male pronouns when referring to animals which gender you don't know (which may sound as assuming it's a male, but it isn't), unless you already know it's gender beforehand, but even when people know the animal is a female you may still refer to it as a male if you are using the animal's name (i.e. "a dog"->"un perro" regardless of it being male or female, but you could also say "una perra" if you know it's female).

I for example would say "un jynx" or "un chansey" even though I know they are female only species. I rarely refer to any pokémon as a female if talking about species (maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I do the same when referring to animals).

If translators used female pronouns it's either because they translated a script that already had a gender or because the original script wanted to emphasize a gender over the other, or maybe it's just some kind of politics in there, not wanting to refer to all legendaries as male and giving the more "cute" ones some female traits, and if you think it deep enough I don't know which is worse.

Also, colective nouns are also male or female, even though they would include individuals from different genders.

In the end I think that scripters at the MD games only wanted to humanize pokémon so they wen with genders instead of "it" (well, I haven't played any MD game).

Sorry for the little offtopic, but I'm not into competitive play and I'm quite curious about this and how "should" MMY stats be. Was that on purpose to underpower it? I don't see a reason since it's already normally banned from competitions...

MD is a different series altogether. I see boards in the game where gender neutral Pokemon like Bronzong can be referred to as 'she' or Magnezone as 'he', depending on the mission. It's to give it more personality, which frankly I'm not too opposed to. Languages that is not English does assign gender to things yes, but it's a bit different here, so we can think of it as such. (Source: I know at least 7 languages).

They dumped + 40 into MMYs Attack, which it is not used for, and cut off its Def points by 20, making it more susceptible to revenge killing, even to the point where a single Choice Banded Brave Bird from Talonflame is enough to succumb.. Also its speed gain is + 10, bringing it to 140, which is not fast enough for it to run Modest, and still lags behind things like Mega Alakazam, who has a speed of 150. It also means it is unable to beat something like Mega Beedrill, which I find stupid. In addition, a Life Orb regular Mewtwo outdamages the 194 SpA MMY without an item. I think because this was one of the earlier Megas, they tried to 'balance' it. But they balanced it a little too well, making it as average as a regular mon. We have other legends like Kyogre/Groudon who also got + 40 on their non-used attack stat, but they have a broken ability, does not take a Mega slot, and are overall better. Let's not talk about how ridiculously broken Mega Rayquaza is... who designed that? Mewtwo is one of my favourites, so it does disappoint. 

I think they gave it Insomnia to "counter" Darkrai, but Aura Sphere also got nerfed to 80 base power, making it focus on using Focus Miss to OHKO relevant targets. Mono-Psychic STAB also isn't as great vs the other super legendaries who generally resist it or are even immune to it. It's not unique by any means and other legends have more merit than MMY. I'm really angry about that. However, that + 20 SpDef is a blessing in disguise, allowing it to live certain moves that it could not as a regular Mewtwo. I would honestly cut the Attack boosts, bring back its Defence to 90 (no point in cutting it, really), and probably bring the speed to 160 or even 170, so it can at least have something to claim over things like Mega Alakazam. Sure it's bulkier, but it does not follow its design very well and usually you are better off with regular Mewtwo or some other Pokemon altogether :/

• Like 1

Not to divert the topic or spam, but I want to say happy birthday to my Mew below in a long-fashion, so I am trying not to spam by hiding it in a spoiler for 56k users:

Spoiler

Happy 11th Birthday to the PokePark Taiwan 2006 Mew from Today, May 10, 2017.

It is near-identical to the Faraway Island Mew when a Faraway Island Mew is 1: NON-Shiny, 2: has the correct SID of 0 and TID of 60510, 3 has the OT Gender set as Female, 4: Is not nicknamed, unless the PokePark Mew being replicated is nicknamed via RNG of the TID and SID on the same version and Japanese Language of the GEN 3 games (Emerald in particular) that it was obtained on, and 4: Has the default Poke Ball, and has the EXACT OT of the original Mew of PokePark in Japanese Katakana. The dash must also be fullwidth if in Gen 4 or later. All other stats besides the PID type/seed/trashbytes/IV's are the same or can be in those conditions, such as Nature/Traits, Moveset, Level, Met level, Fateful Encounter (done differently, but Gen4 merges those...), Origin Game (Both can be on Emerald), Species, Base Stats, EV's, Pokerus, and Ribbons. They are under those conditions, ALMOST byte-for-byte/bit-for-bit identical, and would under rare circumstances be considered clones.

The Old Sea Map Mew will later celebrate its own 12th birthday from July 18th to August 21st this year.

The PokePakku Mew's initial Distro Date of May 10th is just 2 days after the end of the Gather More Pokemon's end date of what AC:CF considers Mothers Day, or May 8th. In Spanish countries, Mother's Day is May 10th, the start of the event. Many Spanish-speakers celebrate both dates and the days in between due to borders between the UK and Spain for Europe, and the US and Mexico for NTSC-U regions. Strangely PAL-UK and NTSC-U GBA and DS games have NO differences. The last week of the PokePark Taiwan 2006 Mew's distro date officially started May 31st, one day after my birthday. The distro roms would have been turned on and dev-tested for that round of distribution after closing the previous day. That same week officially ended on June 4th, but a report exists that they may have been last on 06/06/06, 2 days after the end of the more official end date, for testing purposes to ensure the DEV carts were not bricked or damaged, or possibly to give the developers assurance that decommissioning was true via testing by employees. Therefore a Mew distributed in that week can range from Memorial Day 2006, to the 666 day, while a Faraway Island Mew was definitely distributed during the last part of Pokemon Festa 2005 on August 19, 2 days before the end, which is my Grandmother's Birthday. Her dog's birthday was 10 days earlier. (I could have the dates swapped.) Essentially, this, plus the fact that the last set of distro carts for that Mew would have been turned on 3 years after Finding Nemo's US release, and the same 3 year anniversary of Pokemon Box RS's JPN release. That game was usable with Emerald, and the other game was a GCN game. Interestingly for Pokemon fanfic writers, if you do the math, and subtract ~9 months from the date of the last distro of PokePakku, you get the 2006 anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, which Memorial Day was extended to remember by the US Government. 9 Months before the Faraway Island event's Beginning date is right near the JPN release date of Emerald, which has a hidden ROM script for the Old Sea Map. In addition, the Austrailian release of Emerald is nearly a year before the end of the PokePark Taiwan 2006 Mew distro. The two Mew events are 11 months apart, and the PAL European release of Pokemon Emerald to the Faraway Island Mew is 2 months after the end date of that event. The PokePark Taiwan 2006 Mew is one year and a week to one year and a month apart from the American Release of Emerald. As these values all have some correlation between themselves and 9 months, and Mew symbolizes themes relating to that time frame via places like the Pokedex and JPN Gen 1 V1.0 sprite, and along with the math of the dates, it is natural to be superstitious regarding the Event and Release Dates of Mew and Emerald, considering that for those fanfic writers, those writing reincarnation-as-poke-hybrid fics can use the dates to have fun trolling the reader with innuendo and IRL in-joke day references by using the actual biological time-frame to amuse readers via referencing the facts with the biology and the dates, plus Mew's own lore to create a totally-PG15 experience out of sheer circumstancial coincidences, and allowing self-inserts to be more honest, while speeding up plot-creation via reference, along with using Fridge Logic Retcons and Called-Back Brick Jokes in the same sentence to create humor. I did all of this, and, sure, it looks like a conspiracy of the Illuminati, but I just wanted to honor my unique Mew. The hex data is below for the 3gpkm of it.

This is the hex for my Mew mentioned in the spoiler above:

0x72EF42795EEC697A708553FFB0610003381301029F599BAE58FF000003FA000097008D0000550000006400000100900005007600230A140A00000000000000000000000000C99EA1FFFFFF3F00000080

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

I am interested in this.

I can't say which one is better. Mew looks better than Mewtwo but its stats are worse.

If you just want power, then choose Mewtwo.

If you want a combination of power and cuteness, choose Mew.

If you just want cuteness, just bring out your unevolved starter poke.