Having problems sending PMs [Solved]

Can you PM me a screenshot next time it happens (via the forums or IRC)? I don't see any obvious settings that would cause this.

[Edit]

We continued discussion over IRC and the mystery error has been mysteriously fixed after logging out and back in.

Edited by evandixon
  • Like 2

I tried reproducing the error by adding whitespace to the username, in case that freaked it out.

Spoiler

Capture.PNG

After seeing the comma in my attempt, it occurred to me: in your screenshot, it's trying to send a PM to a user called "@evandixon" instead of "evandixon". "@evandixon" doesn't exist, so "@evandixon" can't receive messages.

I blame the vague error message for the confusion. If only it said "@evandixon isn't a user" or something.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, evandixon said:

I tried reproducing the error by adding whitespace to the username, in case that freaked it out.

Hide contents

Capture.PNG

After seeing the comma in my attempt, it occurred to me: in your screenshot, it's trying to send a PM to a user called "@evandixon" instead of "evandixon". "@evandixon" doesn't exist, so "@evandixon" can't receive messages.

I blame the vague error message for the confusion. If only it said "@evandixon isn't a user" or something.

I confirm this is the problem.

Adding the "@" in front of usernames, in the to line, is the cause.

8 minutes ago, coltonsmogon said:

I was trying to @ mention @evandixon, as that is how the PM system sees which user to send the PM to. Lemme know when this problem is fixed. I have the IP.Board support forum in another tab just in case this is a universal problem extending across all IP. Board forums...

@mentions are different from the PM system, despite how similar they look. AFAIK, the only problem here is that the error message is so vague it borders on misleading. After all, I investigated user group settings first, since that's what the message implies.

I'll try again to send the PM I was trying to send originally, minus the @ mention. @theSLAYER, check your PMs as it was a PM to you (this PM shown in the image was nothing more than a test PM meant to showcase the error without giving away any private details in whatever message the error originally occurred in...)

EDIT: It's sent. Check your PMs fine sir...

Edited by coltonsmogon