coltonsmogon

Does anyone wanna do a tourney on here anymore? (Doesn't matter if it's XYORAS/S/M)

Would you participate?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Would you participate?

• Yes, if the game is OR/AS
    • Yes, if the game is Sun/Moon
    • Yes, and I don't care if the game is OR/AS or Sun/Moon
    • Maybe, if time permits
    • No

I know it's been literally forever since PPorg has had a tourney, but it'd be fun nonetheless. If we do decide to have one, what are the rules?

Edited by coltonsmogon

I think this is a good idea.

I say best rules to follow, are the ones used primarily in International Competitions or Battle spot, but maybe with a bit of modifications:

Double Battles, 4 out of 6 Pokemon, Levels brought down to 50, no duplicate items, no duplicate species, Alolan born.

Banned Pokemon:
Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys,
Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect,
AZ Floette, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, Volcanion, Hoopa, Diancie, Cosmog, Cosmoem, Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma, Magearna, Marshadow.

This ain't Smogon, so there won't be any clauses rules, like no "sleep clause" thingy.
(I mean that out of the nicest possible way. We won't do smogon clauses, since not everyone goes there)

For "judges" to judge the battle, PM the judges afterwards with a battle video code,
we'll be able to check if the teams used was legal after that.

Since this is a website for hacking Pokemon, but we don't support cheating against others,
just be mindful to keep everything legal.

3 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

I think this is a good idea.

I say best rules to follow, are the ones used primarily in International Competitions or Battle spot, but maybe with a bit of modifications:

Double Battles, 4 out of 6 Pokemon, Levels brought down to 50, no duplicate items, no duplicate species, Alolan born.

Banned Pokemon:
Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys,
Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect,
AZ Floette, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, Volcanion, Hoopa, Diancie, Cosmog, Cosmoem, Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma, Magearna, Marshadow.

This ain't Smogon, so there won't be any clauses rules, like no "sleep clause" thingy.
(I mean that out of the nicest possible way. We won't do smogon clauses, since not everyone goes there)

For "judges" to judge the battle, PM the judges afterwards with a battle video code,
we'll be able to check if the teams used was legal after that.

Since this is a website for hacking Pokemon, but we don't support cheating against others,
just be mindful to keep everything legal.

I have to agree with this ruleset. Now, is there anyone who wishes to compete? I would, but I don't own S/M & my competitive battling skills are crap :(

Edited by coltonsmogon

If there's enough interested participants, we could set it like some type of Battle Royale System.
Capture.PNG

Btw, I remember something from SunMoon called Friendly Competitions.

Whats that about?

There's a user group called "Tournament OU" held only by @Dark Pie that gives an orange username color. I don't know the the circumstances under which the badge was awarded, but we could probably make it or something like it a prize for winning it.

• Like 3

What's up for grabs? A Mega Stone? A Pokémon? An item? There's gotta be a prize for this or something, otherwise, what's the point? :P

EDIT: So an orange name/badge is the reward. Seems reasonable.

Edited by coltonsmogon

1 hour ago, evandixon said:

There's a user group called "Tournament OU" held only by @Dark Pie that gives an orange username color. I don't know the the circumstances under which the badge was awarded, but we could probably make it or something like it a prize for winning it.

It could work, but didn't we just specify that we aren't doing tiers (remember, an NU Pokémon like regular Metagross can mash through OU & even Ubers with no sweat if you play the cards right).

31 minutes ago, coltonsmogon said:

It could work, but didn't we just specify that we aren't doing tiers (remember, an NU Pokémon like regular Metagross can mash through OU & even Ubers with no sweat if you play the cards right).

Maybe the badge is simply for people who win the tournament (and tiers are ignored)?

3 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Maybe the badge is simply for people who win the tournament (and tiers are ignored)?

The group doesn't seem to have an associated badge. Once the plans are solidified, we can make a thread asking for suggestions as to what it would be (as long as it's not in use).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, evandixon said:

The group doesn't seem to have an associated badge. Once the plans are solidified, we can make a thread asking for suggestions as to what it would be (as long as it's not in use).

Just use a modified version of the "Tournament Winner - OU" badge called "Tournament Winner".

I'd have to import my gen 6 team to gen 7 and there's no way I stand a chance of winning. But I'd love to join. I have a pkHex backup of my team that I could show to the mod(s) as well. The only thing I know 100% is legit is my nearly 6IV Venusaur that I bred using a Venusar a friend sent me as a base. 

How are mega's handled? I have 4/6 Pokemon that can mega evolve. (Don't wanna spoil which) and I think stones/items can't be passed through bank. 

Guys. The battling part of the community has died for a long time. But if there's enough generated interest I can see if we can bring back some old standard rules or some gimmick tourneys that made me love this part of the community. I'll see what I can bring out.

That badge thing was long time ago. I don't think it applies anymore.

I might try it out depending on when it is/what I'm doing at the time. I spend most of my time on the Internet, in Hyrule, or in the Pokémon world, so I probably wouldn't last long. (I also haven't fully completed Sun/Moon yet, nor have I had any competitive battling experience.)

3 hours ago, coltonsmogon said:

Just use a modified version of the "Tournament Winner - OU" badge called "Tournament Winner".

Right now, it's just a user group that gives those in it a colored username. It doesn't have a "badge" icon yet. Maybe we could say that whoever wins gets to choose which badge it is (provided it's a main series badge, so while I'd really love to have one, an exploration team badge wouldn't count).

Also I know Gamefreak's been shilling Doubles for ages, but that's like learning chess after the game trained you on how to play checkers. Many people are more accustomed to Singles tbh, and from what I've seen not many people have EVs tailored for doubles. This really depends on the consensus of people here, but most of my experience (I can't speak for everybody though) has been people wanting to do 6v6 singles. Problem is that those battles can be long, but it's doable.

4 hours ago, coltonsmogon said:

What's up for grabs? A Mega Stone? A Pokémon? An item? There's gotta be a prize for this or something, otherwise, what's the point? :P

EDIT: So an orange name/badge is the reward. Seems reasonable.

We really just played this kind of stuff for fun to be honest, but the community died down.

That orange name thing for winning a tourney was set up by an old admin a long time ago, but he has since quit. Idk if the higher ups are okay with this, but it does not seem to grant extra privileges or whatever, but it's nice for bragging rights. I personally don't see anything wrong with it.

50px-Knuckle_Badge.pngKnuckle badge

Is this not the most fitting badge for winning a fight?

50px-Mind_Badge.pngMind Badge

50px-Rumble_Badge.pngRumble Badge

I mis-read at first. I thought the Mystery Dungeon badges would be an option. Since there's different tiers, you could have a 2rd and 3th place badge.

I'm at my best in double battles. I've always been fond of them and played through Colosseum so many times and XD: once. Of the 22-23 battles I've done online, all of them have been 6 on 6 battles.  

19 minutes ago, wraith89 said:

Idk if the higher ups are okay with this, but it does not seem to grant extra privileges or whatever, but it's nice for bragging rights. I personally don't see anything wrong with it.

It's just like all the other badges, there only for show (except it doesn't have an icon yet).

The color itself is also subject to change (let's say at the choice of the winner) since it's the same color as researchers.

Also, +1 for the knuckle badge.

I agree, the Knuckle Badge should be the badge we use for tourney winners since it demonstrates the fighting spirit of this site, as well as the members (& the winner in question). Don't you all agree with this? Rumble Badge is a good competitor too...

Edited by coltonsmogon

We could run a poll, to see what badge should be the tournament winner badge.

Also, I think it'll be good that have set a "minimum of competitors", else the badge might come do easy..

edit: If we use Sun & Moon's Friendly Competition, minimum participants is 20.

1 minute ago, theSLAYER said:

We could run a poll, to see what badge should be the tournament winner badge.

Also, I think it'll be good that have set a "minimum of competitors", else the badge might come do easy..

I have to agree with this (it looks to be a best of 8 from the pictures you showed). Go ahead & have the poll on the front page if possible.

Give me a list of potential badges, I'll set the poll here.

I think setting up Friendly Competition is the easiest, and it can be set to private, meaning only pp.org people will participate.

Caveat is, you need Game Sync, to be able to be registered as the players taking part.

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

We could run a trial run, before the actual tournament..

• Like 1

@HaxAras had:

50px-Knuckle_Badge.pngKnuckle Badge

50px-Rumble_Badge.png Rumble Badge

He had the Mind Badge too but it's taken as it's the "Helpful Q&A Member" badge... Remember that the tourney is closed on Tuesdays due to maintenance periods.

Edited by coltonsmogon

24 minutes ago, coltonsmogon said:

@HaxAras had:

50px-Knuckle_Badge.pngKnuckle Badge

50px-Rumble_Badge.png Rumble Badge

He had the Mind Badge too but it's taken as it's the "Helpful Q&A Member" badge... Remember that the tourney is closed on Tuesdays due to maintenance periods.

I was checking but it was hard to figure out in some cases. I was going to suggest the balance badge, since it was doubles but there's a Yellow one on the site. I'd like to be able to participate, but I don't think I will be able to. I only played the tutorials of gen 7 and I despise those games. So I have no items for my mons and I wouldn't be able to use the mega on my team. 

5 hours ago, HaxAras said:

I was checking but it was hard to figure out in some cases. I was going to suggest the balance badge, since it was doubles but there's a Yellow one on the site. I'd like to be able to participate, but I don't think I will be able to. I only played the tutorials of gen 7 and I despise those games. So I have no items for my mons and I wouldn't be able to use the mega on my team. 

I don't even own S/M for these reasons:

1. Not all Pokémon are in the Alola Pokédex (the National dex was tossed in these games methinks)
2. Not all Megas are available in S/M
3. All items aren't transferable to S/M (unless you PKHeX & don't game sync ever)

8 minutes ago, coltonsmogon said:

I don't even own S/M for these reasons:

1. Not all Pokémon are in the Alola Pokédex (the National dex was tossed in these games methinks)
2. Not all Megas are available in S/M
3. All items aren't transferable to S/M (unless you PKHeX & don't game sync ever)

Those are some valid reasons, but the purpose of this post isn't to rebut your points.

It's just significantly easier to hold tournaments by using Friendly Competition introduced in S/M.

But that too, may not happen.

It doesn't seem as tho there's many interested parties..