PkHex Pokemon Trader Proposal

Ruineka

So I was recently playing some HGSS with my cousin a few days back and I thought it would be pretty neat to use something that we already have and convert it into a way to trade Pokemon outside of the emulation process. In theory we could set up a simple host/client system that could connect an instance of a save editor. In this case I'm experimenting with PkHex simply because it's open source and it already has all the core functions I need.

Let me try and explain how this would work...

We have two players in two different locations. Point A and Point B. They would like to trade so they open up a modified PkHex.  One user then hosts and the other connects to the session. From there they can both attach the game saves in question and have it synchronized. Each player would be able to see each others Pokemon and send requests to trade Pokemon. Once they both have selected the Pokemon they like to trade they then can confirm the trade. 

I have attached a very simple design (and quick at that) example to this post. I'm not the most advanced when it comes to programming, but I'm learning as I go. :)

Would anyone even be interested in something like this?

pokemontrade.png

3 hours ago, crown trainer said:

If it'd also work locally on one machine and on several macines on the same network (without trying to go across the web), I would very much be interested. Too bad though that C# and networking still has some issues

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

I haven't done very much networking using C# before but I'll see what I can't get done. This is the perfect project for me outside of Unity 3D that can help me strengthen my skills. If I manage to get any meaningful progress I'll be sure to let the community know.

1 hour ago, jasenyoface said:

Respectfully, what would be the incentive trading pokemon like this?  I understand that there are restrictions and benefits when trading pokemon in game. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Trade  

The issue with traditional Linking that is used for trading is the lack of knowledge of how the hardware sends and receives packets among other things. Going with my approach removes any need to reverse engineer or emulate any system or software. Any benefit gained when trading a Pokemon (such as evolving) could be accommodated for with a simple conditions filter. This also could allow cross platform trading and cross generation trading. We can technically already do this using PkHex, but the process is very tedious.

Trading between generations is only possible with Gen1 and 2, can't backwards convert for the other games.

When trading, the data is swapped. PKHeX doesn't swap data as it allows you to clone data. Just open two windows of PKHeX and drag drop between to facilitate a trade. You already have the save file data, just transfer a pkm and delete on the other save if you want to emulate a swap.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jasenyoface said:

Respectfully, what would be the incentive trading pokemon like this?  I understand that there are restrictions and benefits when trading pokemon in game. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Trade  

3 hours ago, Kaphotics said:

Trading between generations is only possible with Gen1 and 2, can't backwards convert for the other games.

When trading, the data is swapped. PKHeX doesn't swap data as it allows you to clone data. Just open two windows of PKHeX and drag drop between to facilitate a trade. You already have the save file data, just transfer a pkm and delete on the other save if you want to emulate a swap.

It would be a hell of a lot easier to do trade evolution Pokemon if there was some sort of way to trade using the tool. Yeah, you can just change the Pokemon to it's next evolution but isn't there some BS with "Latest not OT handler" in gen 6-7 which is annoying to deal with as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't really get the whole thing but i got the concept, so are you following up with this, so that you can trade pokemon? This would make trade evolve pokemon evolve without actually trading. Have you completed this? i am very much interested in this. I need to evolve my haunter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Silverblade said:

I didn't really get the whole thing but i got the concept, so are you following up with this, so that you can trade pokemon? This would make trade evolve pokemon evolve without actually trading. Have you completed this? i am very much interested in this. I need to evolve my haunter.

Nope. Just copy it to another save, change the species, then copy it back. Trade accomplished.

PKHeX is not intended to be a simulator; a superior alternative (cloning transfer >>> trading) already exists.

• Like 1