Does anyone actually own a disc with the JPN Berry Fix Glitch Zigzagoon?

I was trying to track this down last year however never could. Someone did sent a few of JPN GameCube Demo ISO's my way from around the time of the Berry Fix Glitch distribution, however none of them looked to have the distribution on the disc.

That's not to say it might not still be in the file system somewhere as @ajxpk mentioned, which leads me on to asking what are the best tool for exploring the contents of a GameCube game these days?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, InsaneNutter said:

Does anyone actually own a disc with the JPN Berry Fix Glitch Zigzagoon?

I was trying to track this down last year however never could. Someone did sent a few of JPN GameCube Demo ISO's my way from around the time of the Berry Fix Glitch distribution, however none of them looked to have the distribution on the disc.

That's not to say it might not still be in the file system somewhere as @ajxpk mentioned, which leads me on to asking what are the best tool for exploring the contents of a GameCube game these days?

TGC2gcm and gcmdump, along with yaz0dec, yay0dec, bmdtools, and blitz lunar' decompressor.dont forget szstools

Edited by St. GIGA

On 1/11/2018 at 6:31 AM, InsaneNutter said:

I used this to easily extract pokechan.bin from the Channel iso. But what St.GIGA listed may be a better option, idk.

On 1/11/2018 at 6:59 AM, ajxpk said:

I think you guys can forget about Ageto Celebi and Channel Jirachi. Like I said already, they're generated via GameCube:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/past-gen-rng-research.61090/page-38

It's really not worth to try it IMO... but if you want to mess with it try to emulate it and see what is loaded into the WRAM. 
This way it's also much easier to determine the size of the mb. 

That's unfortunate, but I guess it's no surprise as Channel didn't look like a regular MB running on the GBA. Though I still wonder what the GBA header in pokechan is for... I guess just sending the data and/or that animation.

As for Ageto, having never used the disc, I had no idea what it looks like running on the GBA. But are we still sure that ALL Ageto Celebis are generated on GCN, the initial one of course, but the other 48 as well that send straight to GBA?

Maybe I'll look into these again later, but as you know, we have better things to look into for the time being ;)

----------

That being said, if any one ever tracks down the Japanese Demo Disc that has the BGF Zigzagoon distribution, please do let me or @ajxpk know, as that at least is surely something we can create a GBA version for.

Edited by Deoxyz

I found the JPN Berry Glitch Shiny Zigzagoon GameCube Distribution hidden away on the Japanese Interactive Multi-Game Demo Disc from January 2004! If its listed on the discs menu system its far from obvious to someone to someone who can't read Japanese, however it's easily found in the discs file system.

You will find it under local > tgc > Ruby_And_Sapphire_Rev.tgc and can convert it to an ISO to use on real hardware with tgc to gcm (untested at present).

jpn-berry-glitch-fix-zigzagoon-1.jpg.0ad3367cf72a4bda1bdd538329b4f90d.jpgjpn-berry-glitch-fix-zigzagoon-2.jpg.f089fd4184e9261eeb833afff1b073e3.jpg

If you look at the banner info you will find the name of the disc is "ジラーチ配布ディスク2003年6月" which translates to "Jilachi Distribution Disk June 2003."

The banner description is "新ポケモン ジラーチが君の手に!" which roughly translates to "New Pokemon Jirachi is in your hands!

We can speculate the JPN Pokemon Berry Glitch Shiny Zigzagoon Distribution is based on the the Wishing Star Jirachi distribution, which was distributed from June 1 to August 24, 2003 in Japan.

Edited by InsaneNutter
  • Like 3
  • Speechless 2

2 minutes ago, InsaneNutter said:

I found the JPN Berry Glitch Shiny Zigzagoon GameCube Distribution hidden away on the Japanese Interactive Multi-Game Demo Disc from January 2004! If its listed on the discs menu system its far from obvious to someone to someone who can't read Japanese, however it's easily found in the discs file system.

You will find it under local > tgc > Ruby_And_Sapphire_Rev.tgc and can convert it to an ISO to use on real hardware with tgc to gcm (untested at present).

jpn-berry-glitch-fix-zigzagoon-1.jpg.0ad3367cf72a4bda1bdd538329b4f90d.jpgjpn-berry-glitch-fix-zigzagoon-2.jpg.f089fd4184e9261eeb833afff1b073e3.jpg

If you look at the banner info you will find the name of the disc is "ジラーチ配布ディスク2003年6月" which translates to "Jilachi Distribution Disk June 2003."

The banner description is "新ポケモン ジラーチが君の手に!" which roughly translates to "New Pokemon Jirachi is in your hands!

We can speculate the JPN Pokemon Berry Glitch Shiny Zigzagoon Distribution distribution is based on the the Wishing Star Jirachi distribution, which was distributed from June 1 to August 24, 2003 in Japan.

Awesome! Can you PM me the .tgc or a link to the exact iso you downloaded?

• Like 1

Thanks @InsaneNutter, I didn't expect us to obtain this MB so quickly!

I have the .tgc and found the GBA header within it. I assume it's roughly the same size as the English version, but I'm not wise to finding the ending offsets of MBs yet, so I'll have to consult @ajxpk

Once that is done, getting it on GBA is the easy part. :)

• Like 1

GOT IT!

u0pbGEU.png

Spoiler

Actually, visual examination proved easy to spot where the MB ended, as everything past it was clearly some unrelated trash. Then I used @ajxpk's method to recreating Negaiboshi, etc, and done!

Edited by Deoxyz
  • Like 1
  • Amazed 1
  • Proud 1

4 minutes ago, St. GIGA said:

Hopefully we will see this and the other recreations soon... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Yeah, I'll talk to ajxpk about it. Though naturally since I used his same method, I probably shoudn't release mine until he is ready to do so with his. Actually, there's two good reasons I know of why these aren't being rush released, so everyone should be glad we're checking these things out first.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2018 at 2:21 PM, St. GIGA said:

How did you get the rom?

Probably figured out how to do it. Clearly by the Lv0 Zigzagoons, he's been previously looking into hacking this rom, so it's not really a surprise. It's not really that hard to hack BGFZ (unlike the other roms).

So due to that, I'll say the problem we're facing, why we aren't releasing them yet. I don't think ajxpk would mind me saying.

Clearly these all work fine on VBA, but on real hardware it seems to still have issues with the handshake, exactly as seen in King Impoleon's post on Page 2. I still shouldn't explain how this is all done, but we should be able to figure out the hardware situation in given time.

Edited by Deoxyz

Nothing happened to me, they are not the only ones with the knowledge for this kind of things, now from my side nothing comes out even when they just learned the use and creation of wc and wn I already knew it.

Edited by ad2099

So the problem with the JPN Berry Glitch Shiny Zigzagoon is that it doesn't load on real hardware once extracted from the "Interactive Multi-Game Demo Disc - January 2004 (Japan)" disc.

To the best of my knowledge there is no way to load from the disc's menu system (unless i'm missing the obvious, having explored the menu the best I can without been able to read Japanese).

However the menu system on the disc is able to launch a Mario Kart Double Dash Demo, which is done via the kart_try_go.html, located in local > kart folder

jpn-demo-1.jpg.17f9d2760373fceec44d371d6e657f2a.jpg

You will also see a folder called pokemonrs in the "local" folder, in this folder the pokemonrs_p.html contains the parameters required to launch the Berry Glitch Shiny Zigzagoon distribution.

This is: <meta name="go-tgc" content="/local/tgc/Ruby_And_Sapphire_Rev param=file://client.bin">

So we can simply edit the kart_try_go.html in the kart folder to launch the Berry Glitch Shiny Zigzagoon distribution like so:

jpn-demo-2.jpg.aeab7983a769d25f823df9287e64a7b8.jpg

You will notice i've also removed most of the comments from the HTML code, this is to ensure the filesize is not larger than the file it's replacing, as GC-Tool will only allow you to replace a file that is the same size or smaller, not larger.

You can then right click and replace your modified file with GC-Tool:

jpn-demo-3.jpg.7a6153f5cd0b2c291b3e809dafb64110.jpg

After that you can load the ISO on real hardware and activate the distribution like so:

Be aware you don't put the GBA in multiboot mode, load the distribution on the GameCube and press "A" to get to the second screen, then power on the GBA and let it load Pokemon Ruby or Sapphire load and it should try distribute all been well.

However you will notice I seem to get an error when trying to distribute the Zigzagoon.

I think this is because the battery in my JPN Pokemon Ruby is dead, so it would be pointless in trying to fix the glitch and fails?

With that in mind does anyone have a JPN Pokemon Ruby / Sapphire cart with a working battery and the ability to test this to see if it works?

• Like 1

First off, nice work finding the Japanese Berry Glitch fix program!

Second, maybe it shows up in the Demo Disc when a memory card's inserted in Slot 1 (make sure the memory card's formatted as a Japanese one, Nintendon't on a modded Wii will let do that). The North American disc I have doesn't display the option without a memory card inserted.

Third, my Japanese Sapphire has a dead battery so I can't help test.

Edited by Invader TAK

I'll format an old memory card as JPN memory card and try that tonight. 

A few pages back ajxpk mentioned some demo discs looks very similar, however the big difference was one contained the distribution and the other didn't.

As the demo discs menu is essentially a webpage it would be very easy to simply remove a link to the distribution,then just leave the distribution files on the disc inaccessible. It might also have just been left there from a previous month as GameCube games are padded with garbage data anyway if not all the space is used on the disc. Nintendo do like to leave random bits on discs it appears, so in this instance we might have got lucky.

Presuming the distribution does actually work with a cart that doesn't have a dead battery, I could create a PPF patch for the Japanese Interactive Multi-Game Demo Disc from January 2004, so people who wish to use it on real hardware can easily patch a clean dump of the demo disc and make use of the distribution.

That might well be the best we get for now until a demo disc with the distribution accessible from the menu turns up.

My understanding of the discs menu system is:

1st Menu (Snowman) = Two Vidoes
2nd Menu (GC 2004) = Two Vidoes
3rd Menu (GBA 2004) = One Video
4th Menu (Zelda Four Swords) = Sub Menu's about the game and a video
5th Menu (Mario Kart Doble Dash) = Sub Menu's about game and a playable demo

They would easily have been space for a 6th menu which loaded the Pokemon distribution.

Edited by InsaneNutter
  • Like 2

@YoshiMoshi Battle Revolution is for Gen IV, so they shifted to wondercards by then. Multiboots were only Gen III. You can just inject those wondercards in any Gen IV distro rom if you wanted, as Gen IV/V distros are extremely easy to modify. Pokemon Box, iirc, adds its gift pokemon to a box slot (not sent to game cartridge), so there'd be no multiboots there either.

As of now I think we have touched on all multiboots from retail games. Apparently the Gen III PCNY disributions were on GameCube discs as well, but those are in the same category of difficulty to obtain as any of the other GBA distribution carts (US 10 ANIV etc), since they likely don't exist with collectors. Since the Negaiboshi distribution apparently is also originally from a GCN disc (took me by surprise, I thought it'd be a GBA rom), there may be others from Japan on GameCube, but regardless whether the distribution is GCN or GBA, they're still nearly unobtainable. We're just very lucky Negaiboshi existed unused in the US Bonus Disc, and the fact the JPN BGF Zigzagoon file hinted about Negaiboshi's origin.

In the meantime though, we'll continue to try and fix up these four GBA recreations to work on real hardware, then release them. Then in the future if we're lucky, someone may be generous enough to contribute another unreleased MB from a GBA rom or GCN disc. I suppose we may also eventually obtain more full original GBA distro roms as well, but we know how complicated that has been. I figure it's slightly more likely to get MB contributions then sales of the full roms. Otherwise, theoretical modification of our current roms into events using the same algorithm/seeds (Doel, etc) looks unlikely due to checksums.

Edited by Deoxyz