Attempted to load an unsupported file type/size

anon73

4 minutes ago, Galleux said:

I have the latest version, or at least it dosn't tell me that there is an newer version like it usally does when there is, but i suppose downloading it again dosn't hurt

are you on mac or windows? Yeah, redownload PKHeX and extract all it's contents into a folder.
Then drag the main into PKHeX's window.

Apparently it wasn't the newest version, i got used to that it tells me that there is a newer version avalible so i thought i had it, it works now though, thanks for the help.

Have a merry chrismas and a happy new year.

Edited by Galleux
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Galleux said:

Apparently it wasn't the newest version, i got used to that it tells me that there is a newer version avalible so i thought i had it, it works now though, thanks for the help.

Have a merry chrismas and a happy new year.

No worries, same to you too! :3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @theSLAYER

It's absolutely awesome that you've been helping people with this problem. I've had a similar struggle trying to get back a save file and unfortunately, I'm not one with any expertise in computers and I wanted to see if you had any advice.

Pretty much the problem was that I had a digital copy of Ultra Sun on an SD card. I downloaded ultra sun onto another SD card because I wanted a second save file, found out that I couldn't access my original save anymore and then deleted the new save that I made.

My game when trying to access the original save on my original SD card still gave me the message "The saved data is not compatible with this version, it cannot be used"

I found an article online that had a possible solution to this error message. He says that he used save editor (CheckPoint) to extract his main file - which was successful. Then he used PkHex to open it and modify his trainer information - specifically changing "Last Saved" to the current date and extending the length of the adventure by a minute. He overwrote the old save and it worked again. 

I've tried to copy this as closely as possible but I can't get my save file to be loaded by PkHeX (It does work for my Moon save so checkpoint or PkHex isn't the problem). PkHeX says there's a problem with the file size.

Do you know if it could retrieved?

main

hey @Deoxys2512

Are you on the latest PKHeX? It loads on the latest (and on the version right before the latest)?
[the screenshot below is on a version right before the latest]

image.png

I also checked the amount of bytes in your save, and it looks correct, so I really doubt that PKHeX is the problem here.

What are you using to export your save from the 3DS? (JKSM? Checkpoint?)
Sometimes, you need to delete secure value after importing a save, for it to load correctly.
(JKSM is supposed to do this automatically, but apparently sometimes they screw up)

image.png

I'm aware that not all JKSM versions have that option Delete Secure Value.
You may want to find one that has.

ALSO, before you try the thing above,
make sure that for the folder you're importing your main from, there is absolutely nothing else in the folder.
No .bak, no main (copy), NOTHING. :)
That folder must only have main in it, and nothing else.
example:

image.png
Nothing else.

Thanks for replying to me so quickly! Looking at my PkHeX it's at the 11/18/16 Update (I'm working on a Mac) so that's probably definitely the problem.  I downloaded an older version somewhere else off the internet because I had trouble setting it up from the guide (just wouldn't open 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯) But now I'll try downloading it properly. Thanks for the help!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, blackAnimal said:

I have the same problem. All i did was export the save file from my 3ds with jksm like i ALWAYS do but 4some reason with pokemon ultra sun it does not work?? I already have my starter so i think it should work.

Here is my main main

What version of PKHeX are you using? If you're using a version dating back to before USUM launched, of course it wouldn't work 😜
It's working just fine for me:
image.png

(read the post right before yours)

• 3 months later...

I'm having the same problem as everyone else. I had a saved game of pokemon diamond, I exchanged all the pokemons that I had in that game with the free bank of pksm, when I wanted to try to open the main file in the pkhex, it gives me the same error, it says:

tried to load an unsupported file type / size. Uploaded

file: G: / JKSV / Guarda / Pokémon Ultra Moon / 2018 05 29 / main

File size: 445440 bytes (0x6CC00)

I thought that by eliminating my save, the problem would be solved, but it was not, then the saved file would be saved by another main one 

I keep all my pokemons in the poke bank of pksm before erasing all the data of my game

---

downloading the last update of pkhex the problem I had no longer appears, but I have to start over again, at least save all my pokemon before I delete the game, incredibly many of the pokemoons I have are illegal but the I'll leave it like that or maybe I'll modify it later, anyway thanks

----

my pokemon ultra moon game does not open, the error says that the saved file is damaged, I need help because now neither with pksm opens my game and all my pokemons are in the game

Edited by malth

@malth I'm not sure what is the issue here. If you got a bad dump, then you would not have been open the save in PKHeX at the first place.

I'm thinking that when you modified and replaced it, you probably had a .bak in the save for, or the main filename wasn't "main", so you imported extra data.

Provide me the saves (modified, unmodified etc) and I can take a look.

I'm guessing that you've overwritten them and they're lost to corruption.
ALWAYS keep a safe back up of an unedited save before overwriting it/making edits.

AND also, do not post multiple times back to back (multi-posting). If no one replied you, just edit the 'updates' into the latest unanswered post.
For now, I've helped you to merge your posts together.

On 5/29/2019 at 10:59 PM, theSLAYER said:

@malth 

I'm not sure what the problem is here. If you got an incorrect dump, you would not have opened the save in PKHeX in the first place.

I'm thinking that when you modified it and replaced it, you probably had a .bak saved, or the main file name was not "main", so you imported additional data.

Give me saved (modified, unmodified, etc.) and I can take a look.

I suppose he has overwritten them and they are lost because of corruption. ALWAYS have a secure backup and save it before overwriting / editing

And also, no publication several times in a row (multiple publication). If nobody answered you, simply edit the 'updates' in the latest publication without an answer. For now, we have helped you to merge your publications.

the problem is that what I edit in pkhex is not saved in the ultramoon game, and when I thought it was saved, it occurred to me that the file was damaged when trying to open the game

but the file that I modified of the game if it opens in pkhex, only that it does not open in the ultramoon because it is a damaged file

principal

Edited by malth

1 minute ago, malth said:

the problem is that what I edit in the pkhex is not saved in the ultramoon game, and when I thought it was saved it came out to me that the file was damaged when trying to open the game

main 435 kB · 0 downloads

This main is fine. You're probably making mistakes when importing the save.

Show me a screenshot of the save folder you've tried to import from.
(also, read this entire thread. I've had to deal with this yesterday. That thread has common user mistakes you could learn to avoid)

On 5/30/2019 at 12:59 AM, theSLAYER said:

This principal is fine. You are probably making mistakes when importing the save.

Show me a screenshot of the save folder that you tried to import. (Also, read all this thread.You have to deal with this yesterday.This thread has common user errors that you could learn to avoid)

Recover my Pokémon game and my progress, I only have a backup with the checkpoint, but I'm not so sure of trying to change my game again after this, in all the ways thank you very much for answering, this was the only one help that I found that worked for me

In an earlier version of pkhex I received this error, we recommend someone to update pkhex, so I did, and the beginning if it was opened in the current version of pkhex, but as you say, my files may be registered ...

I guess the game I have now is solved and that is that that generates that error in the pkhex when I modified it, and as I did not find a correct save between my files because accidentally, the game that I have the use now is the one that I only have All my friends and I have no problems or mistakes when starting the game ...

Here is an image of the main file that I open, and if I modify it, I gave myself an error and I will have to restore it again.

and this new one is the main file of my pokemon game

and I'm sorry if these images are too big, I do not know how to edit them so they look smaller

director de escuela

20190529_140802.jpg20190530_210000.jpg

//-----merged-----//

I was going to edit this response, and upload another part and leave the first one, but you said not to upload one after another, I think you would not have read this edit, if I left it that way.

In the end I solved the problem with a little help, I had to delete JKSM because it only served to give me problems (literal). I'll tell you what I did for future tutorials: I had to use cheakpoint (save a copy of the game in case of doubt) then modify my game with pkhex, then save the main file in the cheakpoint saves, and restore the file that I modified and ready Ultraluna opened me without problems.

Edited by malth
  • Like 1

@malth I can't read Spanish. Most sections of our forums are catered for English-use, so do translate them for us at the very least :)

2 hours ago, malth said:

I had to use cheakpoint (save a copy of the game in case of doubt) then modify my game with pkhex, then save the main file in the cheakpoint saves, and restore the file that I modified and ready Ultraluna opened me without problems

Isn't that the standard procedure? Back up a save, modify it in PKHeX, and load back the save?

I mean, yeah, as long as you import (a) a non corrupted save and (b) the file names are correct and (c) no unnecessary files inside the folder,
it would work. In any case, I am glad you worked it out :3

edit: In retrospect, I'm guessing you're saying Checkpoint worked for you but JKSM doesn't.
Well, I've yet to run into issues with JKSM (oddly I'm still using it on the 3DS), but yeah, many people would probably recommend Checkpoint, so good for ya :D

I've also translated the post and merged them together.

Cheers~

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, so I have the exact same problem that PKhex somehow won’t let me open my Ultra Sun save file :/. It always says "attempted to load an unsupported file type/size." I really don’t know what to do at this point. Could the reason be that before I picked my starter I generated a Charizard just to see if pksm works or not but after I got my starter I edited Charizard out. Could someone be so nice and look at my main file? I would really appreciate it!

Edited by vitul98

2 hours ago, vitul98 said:

Hey, so I have the exact same problem that PKhex somehow won’t let me open my Ultra Sun save file :/. It always says "attempted to load an unsupported file type/size." I really don’t know what to do at this point. Could the reason be that before I picked my starter I generated a Charizard just to see if pksm works or not but after I got my starter I edited Charizard out. Could someone be so nice and look at my main file? I would really appreciate it!

main 435 kB · 1 download

Redownload and use the latest PKHeX. I imagine you're using a version that is pre-USUM support; your save loads fine for me.

image.png

• 6 months later...

Hello (sorry for my english if I do fails), my save file (Pokemon Moon) is corrupted in console and in PkHex (attempted to load an unsupported file type/size...), so if you have the problem for the solutions I'll be very happy and it would be so cool, if you can't restore the entire save this is no a big problem because I want particularly my teammate and all my boxes because there are a lot of shiny, thank you in advance.

main

3 hours ago, ShrekBogdanoff said:

Hello (sorry for my english if I do fails), my save file (Pokemon Moon) is corrupted in console and in PkHex (attempted to load an unsupported file type/size...), so if you have the problem for the solutions I'll be very happy and it would be so cool, if you can't restore the entire save this is no a big problem because I want particularly my teammate and all my boxes because there are a lot of shiny, thank you in advance.

main 431.87 kB · 1 download

erm, the size is too big for a Pokemon Moon save, and when trimmed down, doesn't work as well. What did you do?

I can't even stitch blocks of your save into mine. Everything is shifted and it corrupts my PC.

image.png

And I know I stitched it in the right place, cause one Pokemon exist. (nothing else)
image.png

I don't know what I really do, I just put a pokemon for shiny hunting (Trevenant), after that I just save and put this save in my cartidge, and there is the text who said the save is corrupted, so I did nothing for 4-5 months, and now I can't put my saves in Pkhex (I specify that I'm on my mac), but if you can't restore anything it doesn't matter, thanks anyway, I put 2 others save I have for backup, but don't know why don't work despite, I give you these 2 saves in case :main

main

Edited by ShrekBogdanoff

Perhaps there was an error when transferring save to PC via FTP -> if you were using FileZilla, change the setting to use binary transfer mode instead of ascii.

Based on this line from the past, you probably had ASCII mode on your FTP.

As such, any save that you obtained via such a transfer is prone to problems, and any saves you transfer back to be imported into the game would cause corruptions.

Best if you find a working backup on your SD card, then import that.