Attempted to load an unsupported file type/size

anon73

I have used the save manager to create a save file on the SD card, but when I try to move the save file in to Pkhex, this error appears. I'm on latest version and this happened when I did a backup of all my saves and this one for some reason is the only one that's refusing to load. Did I generated a corrupted save and lost all my progress?

This is the message that appears when I try to load it on PKHeX.

"Attempted to load an unsupported file type/size.
File loaded:
D:\JKSV\Saves\Pokemon_Moon\moon\main
File Size:
441855 bytes (0x6BDFF)

Any tips? I apologize if this isn't the right place for this. The save is attached below, and is (obviously) from Pokémon Moon. I'd really love some help, there's quite a few hours spent in this save.

main

9 minutes ago, anon73 said:

I have used the save manager to create a save file on the SD card, but when I try to move the save file in to Pkhex, this error appears. I'm on latest version and this happened when I did a backup of all my saves and this one for some reason is the only one that's refusing to load. Did I generated a corrupted save and lost all my progress?

This is the message that appears when I try to load it on PKHeX.

"Attempted to load an unsupported file type/size.
File loaded:
D:\JKSV\Saves\Pokemon_Moon\moon\main
File Size:
441855 bytes (0x6BDFF)

Any tips? I apologize if this isn't the right place for this. The save is attached below, and is (obviously) from Pokémon Moon. I'd really love some help, there's quite a few hours spent in this save.

main

your save file is corrupted.
It's one byte too small, and placing it in front or back cause the save to partially appear in pkhex.
main(2)

main(2).bak

Try opening both, you'll understand what I mean

my advice,
revert to a save from an earlier point,
and drag over all the Pokemon from the 2 saves I linked you.

Oh man...

I don't have any previous save to revert, unfortunately. I also noticed there's quite a few missing Pokémon in this save, so I guess the only thing I can do is start from scratch. I might as well just give up playing it, at least for a while.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

2 minutes ago, anon73 said:

Oh man...

I don't have any previous save to revert, unfortunately. I also noticed there's quite a few missing Pokémon in this save, so I guess the only thing I can do is start from scratch. I might as well just give up playing it, at least for a while.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

an alternative would be to create a fresh save,
then we identify which part of the saves contain your box and party data, and hex edit shift the data over.

Give me a moment, I'm gonna try and see if I'm able to do some patch work to your save.

Sadly, I don't have the Gen 7 save structure, so I'm just going to try to do what I can, using ORAS as a template.

BTW are you not able to redump a working save?

edit:
I'm using PKHeX documentation to transfer details on your save.

@anon73 I managed to salvage your save.

My theory to how it happened is that during the process of dumping, one less byte was written,
so as a result your save appears corrupted (and too small) to PKHeX.

In order to save your save, I placed a "zero" at where it most likely got shifted,
and that place is your box 2 slot 13.
So whatever Pokemon was there, it's now gone.

However, at least you got your entire save back.
main(2)1

Remember to rename to "main" when injecting.
Also back up multiple saves, before doing any injection.

Your SD may be dying, you might want to get a new one.

• Like 1

Oh man, I can't thank you enough.
I didn't test it yet, but I'll report results as soon as I do. Is it safe to go online with that save? Do you think I'd be better off starting from scratch and dragging/dropping all my mons to a new save?

I already got a new SD, all that save corruption most likely happened when I switched cards. Anyway, thanks again!

I tested it directly in game, without even going to PKHeX first. It loaded flawlessly, apparently I have all my save back!

And thankfully, the box 2 is a box reserved for breedjects, so I guess nothing valuable was lost. Anyway, thanks again!

Just now, Kaphotics said:

Invalid save file (length) is usually caused by an FTP app not transferring the data to the PC completely. Were you using an ftp app to transfer?

Yep, FileZilla. I've been using it for ages and never had a problem with this before, though.

Just now, anon73 said:

Yep, FileZilla. I've been using it for ages and never had a problem with this before, though.

Yeah it's a known issue. If it ever happens again just initiate the transfer again; the file is fine on the SD card -- it just needs to be transferred completely.

I recall seeing a setting for filezilla regarding binary transfer mode instead of ascii; may be worth looking into.

• Like 1

Thank you, I'll be looking into this. It's good to have my save game back again, though.

What feels weird is that I had backed up all my titles on JKSV and Pokémon Moon was the only title with a corrupted save. 

Hey guys, it's me again.

Just wanted to thank you guys again and say that the first save worked flawlessly. But one thing I haven't noticed until today is that my Alpha Sapphire save also was corrupted in the batch backup and I didn't notice it at first because I barely play it in these days. Is there any way to restore it as well?

Also, thanks in advance.

main

57 minutes ago, anon73 said:

Hey guys, it's me again.

Just wanted to thank you guys again and say that the first save worked flawlessly. But one thing I haven't noticed until today is that my Alpha Sapphire save also was corrupted in the batch backup and I didn't notice it at first because I barely play it in these days. Is there any way to restore it as well?

Also, thanks in advance.

main

if you have yet to inject back the save file, do another extraction.

The save is missing way too many bytes.

edit:
In case you screwed up and already injected the bad save (hence unable to redump it),
I got lucky and traced the locations data shifted and managed to pull some trickery.

main(2) try 1

It might still have issues or distortions, but at least most of the pokemon are in it.

Immediately use the method proposed by Kaphotics and rebackup all yours save to a safe location to your computer now.
One day, you might screw up and no one will be able to save your save file.

Thank you, it worked flawlessly and I had no issues so far.

Dumping it again is out of question, especially because as I stated before, I factory resetted my 3ds and backed up all my games on JKSV. Most of backups transferred just fine, these two Pokémon games were the only exceptions. Even Pokémon X worked fine.

I'll double check these backups next time, and already made the changes on FileZilla so hopefully these issues will never happen again. Thanks for the help, everyone.

Welps, missed out on the factory reset part.

Yeah, I've burned myself a few times with neglecting my backups properly, so yeah.

Keep in on your computer, and maybe some cloud service you trust (Dropbox?), and also maybe an external hard drive.

No probs!

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone. I have exactly the same problem as the person who opened this post. I tried to save a .sav file on the pc and now it tells me that the data is corrupted.

When I try to open the main file (from JKSM) in PKHEX I get the error "Attempted to load an unsupported file type / size". I'm using the latest versión of Pkhex.

This is my savedata:

main

Only being able to save some pokemon from my team would be satisfied.

Thank you very much and sorry for answering in such an old post

44 minutes ago, Marioneta95 said:

Hello everyone. I have exactly the same problem as the person who opened this post. I tried to save a .sav file on the pc and now it tells me that the data is corrupted.

When I try to open the main file (from JKSM) in PKHEX I get the error "Attempted to load an unsupported file type / size". I'm using the latest versión of Pkhex.

This is my savedata:

main

Only being able to save some pokemon from my team would be satisfied.

Thank you very much and sorry for answering in such an old post

Where did you get your main from? Doesn't look like it contains readable data. Looks encrypted or something.

It's a long story ... I corrupted my save by extracting a .sav file from the sky3ds flashcard, and when I put it back in, I got the typical corrupt starting error when using a save that is not my own. Later I reintroduced that .sav and injected it with JKSM to re-extract the main file, which is the one I have here.

I can open the main with the PKSM but everything appears unchangeable and the application crashes. That was the last hope I had of not having lost all the information.

Is there a program to decrypt (or something similar) the file? Simply looking at the pokemon information I had is enough.

thank you very much for answering me so fast!

44 minutes ago, Marioneta95 said:

It's a long story ... I corrupted my save by extracting a .sav file from the sky3ds flashcard, and when I put it back in, I got the typical corrupt starting error when using a save that is not my own. Later I reintroduced that .sav and injected it with JKSM to re-extract the main file, which is the one I have here.

I can open the main with the PKSM but everything appears unchangeable and the application crashes. That was the last hope I had of not having lost all the information.

Is there a program to decrypt (or something similar) the file? Simply looking at the pokemon information I had is enough.

thank you very much for answering me so fast!

Seems like you screwed up the import/export process, hence why we're with a save that is kinda dead.
(Also, we'll either be able to get the whole file, or not get anything at all. can't "just save the pokemon")

If you have the original unedited uncorrupted .sav that you tried to reimport using sky3DS, here's what you wanna try:

1. Assuming the save was played on the same copy of sky3ds (meaning its not a save from someone else), Reimport with sky3ds (the same method you did to begin this whole fiasco)
2. Proceed to use JKSM, scroll to the game, then look for something akin to "Delete Secure Value" (I'm aware not every version of JKSM has it)
iOqn1qa.jpg
(not my image, but it shows when I'm trying to say)

3. Launch the game and check if the save if working. If so, use JKSM to extract.

And if that doesn't work:
I don't have a Sky3DS, but it might be good if you check this works:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/transfer-save-files-from-sky3ds-to-cfw.441459/

(make sure you backup your entire SD card, as well as all the saves, before you try doing absolutely anything)

• 7 months later...

Hi. Sorry for necroing the post but i have the same problem as OP, just started a new game in Ultra moon and get the following message when trying to open it in pkhex:

attempted to load an unsupported file type/size

File loaded:

H:\jksv\saves\pokemon_ultra_moon\UM\main

File size:

445440 bytes (0x6cc00)

and for you that are wondering, i'm not using an app for transferring, just plugging in the sd card in my pc.

Any help is appriciated.

main

34 minutes ago, Galleux said:

Hi. Sorry for necroing the post but i have the same problem as OP, just started a new game in Ultra moon and get the following message when trying to open it in pkhex:

attempted to load an unsupported file type/size

File loaded:

H:\jksv\saves\pokemon_ultra_moon\UM\main

File size:

445440 bytes (0x6cc00)

and for you that are wondering, i'm not using an app for transferring, just plugging in the sd card in my pc.

Any help is appriciated.

main

Make progress with the game (let's say get a starter), do ANOTHER backup of the game, then try then. :)

Also make sure you're opening the save on the latest PKHeX

edit: I'm able to load your save just fine. Make sure you're on the latest PKHeX.
(I see that your starter is a Rowlet, and your OT is the same as your user name)

• Like 1