Pokémon Nova Sun & Umbra Moon: Fully-featured, challenging Sun/Moon ROMhacks!

Dio_Vento

Released Version 1.4 today. This is a major update. This update:
  • Edits nearly every available species' Level-Up movepool to better accommodate the Leveled and Expanded Builds! This means that good/novel/useful moves learned and forgotten before a species' encounter level have been copied to a later point in their level-up learnset so that the options are available to the player.
  • Most "Level 1" moves, like Water Shuriken on Accelgor, have been added to the standard level-up learnset, allowing those Pokémon better access to their full potential.
  • Fixes some bugs (SaltySD packs not having Max Repel in shops after beating Nanu but before beating Totem Kommo-o, Umbra Moon Distribution Packs having unedited shop.cro files)
  • Makes some minor tweaks and edits to Trainers
  • Fixes availability in the Expanded Build for Hippopotas and the Pumpkaboo forms
  • Makes some species available earlier in the Expanded Build: Riolu, Togepi, Makuhita, Houndour
  • Increases the Level of most Totem Pokémon
See the OP for more detailed patch notes.

My writeup on the recent save-editing-related bans in Sun and Moon. Conclusion is:

• Don't set up Game Sync in Nova Sun or Umbra Moon or any other ROM hack.
  • If you do use Game Sync in Nova Sun or Umbra Moon, make sure you never sync with unreleased Mega Stones or absurdly high quantities of rare items like Sacred Ash or Lure Ball.
  • If you're using Nova Sun and Umbra Moon to speed up breeding, grinding, etc. on your main save file (which has Game Sync set up), don't Game Sync while you're running the modifications.
  • Non-Game Sync online features remain safe. This includes Wonder Trade, battling/trading friends, and unranked Battle Spot. Anything you can do without making a Game Sync ID on the Global Link website.
  • If you get banned from Game Sync using Nova Sun and Umbra Moon, and you have a backup of your original Sun/Moon save, that backup (or a new save file) will not be banned from Game Sync.

Longer and more detailed version here: https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/625qur/pokémon_sun_and_moon_safe_save_editing/dfkjkao/

• 2 weeks later...

3DS Firmware Version 11.4 just came out. Do not update to 11.4 unless you already have Luma3DS CFW installed, even then consider waiting to update until devs fix features. As such, a kernel exploit has been released for 11.3 that allows for custom firmware installation. https://3ds.guide/ has updated to include this new exploit. If your 3DS is still on 11.3 (which it probably still is unless you updated today, April 10th), go install Luma3DS CFW now!

I followed all instructions exactly, and the game works perfectly fine, only the icons are not correct. The loading icon is still the normal "Pokemon Sun", and after the Lillie cut scene at the beginning of the game, that icon was "Pokemon Sun Presented by Gamefreak". How do I change the icons to what the ROM hack is supposed to display? I believe it has to do with the file named "icon" on the root of my SD card, which does show the modded icon. Where do I put this file, and is there anything else I should check?

5 hours ago, Niriandro said:

I followed all instructions exactly, and the game works perfectly fine, only the icons are not correct. The loading icon is still the normal "Pokemon Sun", and after the Lillie cut scene at the beginning of the game, that icon was "Pokemon Sun Presented by Gamefreak". How do I change the icons to what the ROM hack is supposed to display? I believe it has to do with the file named "icon" on the root of my SD card, which does show the modded icon. Where do I put this file, and is there anything else I should check?

If you've played default Sun, your 3DS has a cached icon that it uses instead of reading the icon.bin from the CIA of Nova Sun. As for the Lillie cutscene, that logo is unmodified because nobody knows where it is (or at least nobody knew when I was ready to release the game). Your game is fine, you've got the mod installed correctly.

Oh, and if you're talking about using the SaltySD method and referring to the banner as an icon, neither the game's banner or icon can be edited through the SaltySD method. It'll look exactly like normal Sun on your 3DS home screen, 

18 hours ago, Novella511 said:

Does anyone know if you can catch shinies from other regions using SOS method?

Anything in the wild except Tapus, Solgaleo/Lunala, and the UBs can be shiny.

2 hours ago, Charzor said:

Hi!, I just installed CFW on my N3DS and i want to play this ROM, but i don't know hot to install SaltySD, can someone tell me how? Thanks!

Just follow the instructions in the SaltySD pack. You don't have to "install" SaltySD, it's baked into the game's code.bin file which you read from the SD card by enabling Luma's file redirection feature.

It's literally 

• Enable one feature on your 3DS
  • Drag and drop the pack to your SD
  • Play

18 hours ago, Dio_Vento said:

Just follow the instructions in the SaltySD pack. You don't have to "install" SaltySD, it's baked into the game's code.bin file which you read from the SD card by enabling Luma's file redirection feature.

It's literally 

• Enable one feature on your 3DS
  • Drag and drop the pack to your SD
  • Play

Thanks! i did it and patched for no outlines, now to enjoy thanks a lot!

Hey guys.

I just did all of the instructions on the guide.

My Homebrew is not working and my Pokemon Umbra Moon is working except the changes on the wild pokemon. I dont know what I did wrong and I'm starting to panicking :(
when I open the Homebrew, it just gives me the code:

01fa1000

c921081a

If anybody could help me I'd be forever grateful 

thanks in advance :D

16 hours ago, Celinho said:

Hey guys.

I just did all of the instructions on the guide.

My Homebrew is not working and my Pokemon Umbra Moon is working except the changes on the wild pokemon. I dont know what I did wrong and I'm starting to panicking :(
when I open the Homebrew, it just gives me the code:

01fa1000

c921081a

If anybody could help me I'd be forever grateful 

thanks in advance :D

What type of "homebrew" are you using (what are you using to launch the homebrew launcher)

What device are you on

What firmware are you on

Do you have custom firmware (Luma3DS + A9LH), if so what version

Which Build of Umbra Moon are you using

When you say "open the Homebrew" do you mean launch the HBL or launch the HANS launchers for Nova Sun and Umbra Moon

Hey Dio_Vento

I followed every single step of the guide provided here in this site.

I have a Nintendo 2DS (version 11.2.0.35E).

I installed Luma and A9LH (because it said so in the guide), the latest versions I think.

Then when I tried to decrypt my cartridge to do the next steps, my Homebrew Launcher gives that error code. I have an icon on my menu that says "The Homebrew Launcher" and when I click on it, that error code pops up and I dont know why. But I downloaded the Legit Build of Umbra Moon and I managed to do something because my Pokemon Moon is altered except the Wild Encounters. I'm sorry if I cant explain myself properly but I'm portuguese and I dont understand anything about these things xD

On 4/20/2017 at 10:05 AM, Dio_Vento said:

What type of "homebrew" are you using (what are you using to launch the homebrew launcher)

What device are you on

What firmware are you on

Do you have custom firmware (Luma3DS + A9LH), if so what version

Which Build of Umbra Moon are you using

When you say "open the Homebrew" do you mean launch the HBL or launch the HANS launchers for Nova Sun and Umbra Moon

I did it xD
I thought the Legit build had every pokemon like the Expanded build. Apparently, it does not xD
Thanks anyway :D

• 3 weeks later...

Nova Sun & Umbra Moon version 1.5 came out today. They now support Sun & Moon version 1.2, which also came out today.

Change log:

• Implemented new and improved Pickup tables.
  • SaltySD Packs: Renamed to Drag & Drop Packs, SaltySD code.bin no longer included (SaltySD is incompatible with Sun/Moon v1.2 and Luma3DS 7.0+'s LayeredFS handles everything this mod needs)
  • Drag & Drop Packs: rebuilt Shop.cro to function with Sun/Moon v1.2. Sun/Moon v1.2 is required to run Nova Sun & Umbra Moon v1.5.
  • Because of how SaltySD works, if you had a previous version of the SaltySD pack installed on your SD card, you need to delete those files before copying over Version 1.5! If you have previously used Nova Sun, Umbra Moon, or any other SaltySD hacks, delete SD:\luma\titles\0004000000164800 and SD:\luma\titles\0004000000175E00 from your 3DS SD card before copying v1.5.
  • Added an in-game Trainer to commemmorate Sebastián Contreras' complete Let's Play!
  • Minor Trainer changes
  • Minor text changes

1 hour ago, Dio_Vento said:

Nova Sun & Umbra Moon version 1.5 came out today. They now support Sun & Moon version 1.2, which also came out today.

Change log:

• Implemented new and improved Pickup tables.
  • SaltySD Packs: Renamed to Drag & Drop Packs, SaltySD code.bin no longer included (SaltySD is incompatible with Sun/Moon v1.2 and Luma3DS 7.0+'s LayeredFS handles everything this mod needs)
  • Drag & Drop Packs: rebuilt Shop.cro to function with Sun/Moon v1.2. Sun/Moon v1.2 is required to run Nova Sun & Umbra Moon v1.5.
  • Because of how SaltySD works, if you had a previous version of the SaltySD pack installed on your SD card, you need to delete those files before copying over Version 1.5! If you have previously used Nova Sun, Umbra Moon, or any other SaltySD hacks, delete SD:\luma\titles\0004000000164800 and SD:\luma\titles\0004000000175E00 from your 3DS SD card before copying v1.5.
  • Added an in-game Trainer to commemmorate Sebastián Contreras' complete Let's Play!
  • Minor Trainer changes
  • Minor text changes

Hi! I'm going to update my umbra moon version but i have it patched for no outlines and inmediate text, do you know if this extra patches works on v1.2? Thanks in advance!

Quick update to Version 1.6.
Mostly small bug fixes and incredibly minor balance tweaks this time.

• Fixed Electabuzz's Electirizer Evolution method.
  • Expanded Builds: Ferroseed moved to Lush Jungle.
  • Expanded Builds: Cherubi moved to Melemele Meadow.
  • Expanded Builds: Fletchling in Wela Volcano Park are now encountered as Fletchinder.
  • The Lv40 Aerodactyl received in the Seafolk Village now comes with Aerodactylite attached.
  • Adjusted Ferroseed's Level Up moveset to better accommodate its later encounter level.
  • Adjusted Ferrothorn's Level Up moveset to better accomodate Ferroseed's later encounter level.
  • Minor changes to some Level Up movesets
  • Minor text changes

Hello. Hey, I've got a question Wild pokemon also has altered levels? For example I see that in a zone there are coaches level 40 but the wild pokemon also appear around that level? Or are they much lower ??

I can install the updates?

On 5/23/2017 at 1:55 AM, whitealcal said:

Hello. Hey, I've got a question Wild pokemon also has altered levels? For example I see that in a zone there are coaches level 40 but the wild pokemon also appear around that level? Or are they much lower ??

The levels have been adjusted. Example: I'm on Route 6 right now, where the wild Pokemon are level 14-17 on the regular unpatched game, but the first wild Pokemon I ran into was level 31, and most of the trainers in the area have Pokemon at about level 35.

@Dio_Vento: This is wonderful! If I had known applying the patch with Luma would be so easy I would have done it a long time ago. I'm playing with Nuzlocke-style catching rules but no deaths, and I've been forced into some interesting team choices. Still rolling with the Minun I caught outside of Kukui's lab, for example.

Edited by Ruwisc

On 5/24/2017 at 5:53 PM, Ruwisc said:

The levels have been adjusted. Example: I'm on Route 6 right now, where the wild Pokemon are level 14-17 on the regular unpatched game, but the first wild Pokemon I ran into was level 31, and most of the trainers in the area have Pokemon at about level 35.

@Dio_Vento: This is wonderful! If I had known applying the patch with Luma would be so easy I would have done it a long time ago. I'm playing with Nuzlocke-style catching rules but no deaths, and I've been forced into some interesting team choices. Still rolling with the Minun I caught outside of Kukui's lab, for example.

Nuzlocke catching rules are a great way to play the Expanded Build! Glad you're enjoying the game.

On 5/25/2017 at 4:51 PM, whitealcal said:

Is there any way to change the banner and icon to the "drag and drop" installation ??

No. Those files are part of the ROM that isn't live-patchable, not even an update from Nintendo can change the banner and icon.

On 5/22/2017 at 11:55 PM, whitealcal said:

I can install the updates?

Update Sun / Moon to v1.2, Update Luma3DS to 7.0 or later, and update the ROM hack to v1.7. Use the Leveled or Expanded builds if you want wild Pokémon to match enemy trainers.

On 5/21/2017 at 0:37 PM, mauridewilde said:

Hello. Shiny rate?

Default shiny rate, this will not change.

OscZfBq.png dpv8anL.png 
Announcing Pokémon Supernova Sun & Penumbra Moon! I'll reveal exactly as much information as Game Freak did as to how these will be different from Nova Sun & Umbra Moon. 

As with this release, I won't be making a thread for these until they're complete. I intend to release Supernova Sun & Penumbra Moon v1.0 as feature-complete as the latest release of Nova Sun & Umbra Moon!