Gen II Editor with AR Codes

ZST

Hello, I have been away from the Pokemon scene for a long time now but back when I was still active, all the editors, at least the popular/good ones, created AR codes so you can get the Pokemon into your cartridge. I see the editors are better than ever BUT it seems like everyone these days emulates or plays on the new DS in which apparently you can transfer saves to, which renders an AR useless.

Since I haven't played (a new Pokemon game) since Gen 4, I still play Crystal on a cartridge and just want some decent Pokemon via Editor, but I don't know of the old programs I used for Gen 2, they seem hard to find for some reason. Can any of you point me in the right direction?

Also, I was around when PokeSav was the thing and this guy was working on creating legal 'mons. AFAIK, that has been completely resolved from Gen  3 and up with the new programs but I wonder if Gen 2 or 1 generated 'mons aren't legal/legit? It doesn't really matter since it is an outdated game and on a cartridge which will never again be used at an official event or transferred to a new generation. I did a little research and things like trash bytes and SID (which were the main roadblocks to legit 'mons in the Pokesav days) were implemented in Gen 3 and so Gen 2 on paper should not have these problems, but I'm still curious.

Edited by OldYoungMan

5 minutes ago, OldYoungMan said:

I still play Crystal on a cartridge and just want some decent Pokemon via Editor, but I don't know of the old programs I used for Gen 2, they seem hard to find for some reason. Can any of you point me in the right direction?

PKHeX is a multi-generation save editor, and is able to edit Gen I and Gen II saves files.

As to Action Replay codes, I'll say they work on emulators,
and should share functionality with Gameshark codes.

These are the few places I know of that have old school codes, besides somewhere in our RAM forums:
http://www.psypokes.com/gsc/cgameshark.php
http://upcarchive.playker.info/0/upokecenter/content/pokemon-gold-and-silver-game-shark-codes-miscellaneous-codes.html
http://glitchcity.info/wiki/Pokémon_Red,_Green,_Blue_and_Yellow_(JP)_GameShark_codes

Oh, I know where to find AR codes, that;s easy what I meant was an editor that generates AR codes for Gen 2 Pokemon. For example, the old PokeSav which would allow you to create a Pokemon with perfect IV's, moveset, information, etc. then generate an Action Replay code so that this Pokemon will appear in your PC or party. I believe PokeGen also does this.

The reason this is so important is because I am playing on my original cartridge on a GBA. I'm not emulating or playing on a 3DS, so editing save files is useless for me.

Edited by OldYoungMan

You may be referring to pikasav: 

I know there were some more save editors back in the day, but this seems to be the only that survived, probably because it was the one with more features? Maybe it is the one with AR code generation.

In any case, it should be easy to write a program that converts pk1/pk2 files to an AR code, as it's just a bunch of addresses + the pk file bytes. Do you have any example for gen 1 and gen 2? The only problem I see is that the boxes have a byte to know how many pokémon are stored, but maybe what the codes did was simply to replace the first pokémon in the current box with the one in the AR code (which frankly, seems the easiest).

Maybe I'm just doing something wrong but the PikaSav link is dead, I'm pretty sure that was the one I used years ago. And when you asked for an example, did you mean an AR code that was created from one of these programs?

Nah, that's a new or different version or something. It seems more in line with modern editor, it makes you upload a .sav file and I see no option for generating codes. Thanks though for trying to help me out here.

If you're looking to modify your Pokemon,
you could work with editing the existing action replay codes.

For example:
http://glitchcity.info/wiki/Pokémon_Crystal_GameShark_codes

The link above has a bunch of modifiers, meaning you just need to put in the wanted values,
obtained from herE:
http://glitchcity.info/biglist.htm

Yes, I asked for an exampe of an AR code. I guess the most convenient code type would be the one that changes the slot 1 pokémon?

For what I see they are just command-value-adress, but I don't quite get what those "end code" are used for in the OT/nickname, unless they are just to make sure the code inputs a terminator character and they typed it that way so people don't forget it.

If that's all there is to it, the program is really trivial, I've wrapped this up real quick: just drag and drop a pk2 file (make it with pkhex) onto the exe and an ar.txt file will be generated. Please tell me if the code worked, currently it generates an AR code for pokémon crystal to change the pokémon in the first party slot with the pk2 file.

If it works fine I'll make some executables for the other games.

poke2ar.zip

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't have an AR code and the reason I never replied was because my old GBC AR doesn't work anymore. Which sucks because of how expensive it is. My old GameShark works though. Btw that program doesn't run for me, for some reason. It quickly pops up and disappears. Maybe it is on my end, I get a message saying my computer stopped tis unrecognized program from running but i allow it anyways but it doesn't seem to completely run.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/2/2017 at 1:00 AM, suloku said:

If that's all there is to it, the program is really trivial, I've wrapped this up real quick: just drag and drop a pk2 file (make it with pkhex) onto the exe and an ar.txt file will be generated. Please tell me if the code worked, currently it generates an AR code for pokémon crystal to change the pokémon in the first party slot with the pk2 file.

As I said, if it works I'll make versions for the other games (not sure how to test myself)