Hello Researchers! 

Today I have discovered an exploit for Generation 3 that affects Pokemon Legality for RNG. The exploit can be done in 2 ways. One way is to take a save file with Japanese/Localized dual compatible names and nicknames from a Japanese Gen 3 game, flash it to an English cart, and then take any already-nicknamed Pokemon (pre-naming fixes a bug with bank compatibility for Japanese-exclusive Pokemon like mew) to the name rater to enjoy longer English names when kept on that same file. The more legit way is to RNG both region games to have a 5 to 1 digit cross region OT, with the same SID and TID, similar to using RNG to rename event Pokemon via OT RNG manipulation. The next step to do is Nickname the Japanese Pokemon, trade it over, and rename it on the English game with the cross region characters. Accent letters for Latin and Japanese will pose problems, along with RS copies with the nickname flag bug.

Anyhow, this process obviously fails when trying to make longer Japanese nicknames. This means Nicknamed 3rd gen event Pokemon, Nicknamed Shiny Jirachi, Nicknamed Celebi, and Nicknamed In game events are possible now to RNG users.

Hopefully this helps Legality checkers!

Thanks, and have fun!

I see a problem here: this glitch is only possible due to using a savefile initialized as japanese in a different region cartridge, so I'm not sure if it can be considered a glitch as this behaviour would be impossible without save file manipulation, but quite interesting nonetheless.

The legit method of doing this is to use one Japanese and one English game with the same Trainer Name, Trainer Gender, Trainer ID, and Secret ID all obtained via RS RNG, to fool the outsider Pokemon check after pre naming on the Japanese Game to bypass the language bit reset on buggy copies. A V2 RS must be used for RS versions of the bug. Pokemon to be renamed legitimately must have sub-6-letter English-only names to comply with input restrictions across regions. It only requires a trade.

Hopefully this will clarify the legitimacy of this as a useful, legitimate glitch.

Thanks, and have fun!

A simple link trade is used between the games to move the pre named Pokemon to the identical (profile-wise) Profile RNG'd English Localized game, on which the name rater is used like before on the prenamed romanized Japanese traded Pokemon from the other game which are renamed just like how RNG users can rename event or non-locally caught Pokemon via Pandora box/ID manipulation in RNG reporter. This is all doable with no save flashing. HaxAras knows about the region swap method, but cannot RNG, so I would ask him to see about testing the non-RNG variant of the bug. This is possible due to Gen III using only one set of Roman characters for all regions according to bulbapedia's hex table. A control character may be involved, but I think language bytes control it. In addition, due to this being totally legit due to RS RNG being easy to do, Nintendo will not block any outsider Pokemon bypass exploits due to the remote chance that somebody could have the same profile as an event, and that 2 crossregion players could possibly meet, trade, and nickname, and as a result of nintendo's inclusion policy, would mean that they have to be able to nickname, as it is "your" own Pokemon. This also allows people to RNG so they can nickname events, as they have to allow players to nickname all "their" Pokemon. This exploit will not work fully legitimately if the OT of the Pokemon to name is Japanese, or if you want a long JP nick without hacks. Save edits will allow the long JP names (which is illegal for gen III+) and the quick nickname, plus the nickname of Japanese Pokemon caught on non-Romanized OT's on JP saves. (Also non-legit, but is doable with the reflash region swap method, which will not work for long JP names.) All legit techniques work for sub 5character OT's with blank trash bytes, (If the save was generated on a Localized release, and put on a JP Cart, the tricks will work for Pokemon caught on the resulting save, but the trainer name can be long as well, but the region flag can either be the Rom flag, fooled with renaming on the JP game on a v1/2 RS, or in other cases, it can be the save file region flag. The NTSC U techniques also work with PAL when relevant, with possible garbage on German/French or Spanish/Italian copies.)

Hopefully this explains another bug, and clarifies the first one. HaxAras knows some relevant info, and about Japanese to PAL region flag switching via GCN Pokemon titles, and the associated name and party-exclusive data corruption/retention in box RS on Pokemon with PokeRus.

Thanks, and have fun experimenting!

In addition, if a Pokemon is injected via the scrapped agate Celebi event in Localized Colosseum copies via cheating or GC-Forever's PokeLoad, (the codes used set the hometown game bit to 0 as a result of the legit event), when the Pokemon is traded to gba games and pal parked, unknown to most, the Pokemon will not show as from the bonus disc or as the GCN Pokemon game, but as the actual GBA game that the Pokemon was traded to. This may allow laundering of hacked Pokemon when combined with the other colosseum and nickname glitches, including trashbyte fudging, and region changing. This could prove disastrous to the fan base, especially when mixed with Emerald cloning, the above nickname glitch, and the effects of using region-free codes on Pokemon Box RS with a game of a certain wrong language, which include name termination bugs, garbage names, PokeRus corruption, truncation, possible Pomeg side effects, possible nickname flag bugs, everlasting PokeRus, shiny-lock bypassed flawless Box RS egg OT trade RNG exploits, and version exclusive location altering via recursive gba trades between different version gba and gcn games. This bug set has mostly been found by HaxAras using methods including freeloaders, soft mods, and region switches to fool games into unintentionally linking, which glitches this data.

Consult HaxAras about what glitches he has encountered when linking data on Gen III between regions.

Thanks, and have fun!

PS: I have your GCN Raw save file HaxAras. It is backed up on my private Dropbox, and I have no intention to delete it. In fact, I added Trigger's PC default trigger_death sample Saves to it, and the InsaneNutter save. I have not added the Dr.Matt save file yet, or isleep2late's suspicious all shiny save's shiny box RS eggs, due to malware on the only PC with Trigger's PC. Simone Perfetto on YouTube made a 5iv shiny mew which I will add, along with a Gen III port of Eppie's 5 3/4 IV Shiny mew, plus the in game event Pokemon from InsaneNutter and Dr. Matt's save, plus all 9 Kaphoctics Jirachi 3gpkms from the shiny disc

If one of you would, please assemble these saves into one Pokemon box RS save based on HaxAras's save, as I cannot finish the Job. I may want the shiny Pokemon dumped as pk6 files.