Issues with PKHeX? Read This First! - S/V Update

ReignOfComputer

I get an error attempting to open PKHeX

Starting from Version 23.12.18 (18th December 2023), PKHeX has been updated to require the .NET 8 (up from .NET 7).

If you receive the following error messages attempting to open PKHeX, please install .NET 8:

• "A fatal non-UI error has occurred in PKHeX, and there was a problem displaying the details. Please report this to the author."
  • "To run this application, you first must install .NET 7. Contact your application publisher for instructions about obtaining the appropriate version of .NET."
  • "PKHeX has stopped working."
  • ".NET 8 needs to be installed for this version of PKHeX to run."

More Information on this inside the Spoiler.

Spoiler

Why was this done?

Updating to .NET 8 allows for several new capabilities, including improved performance and easier development. The .NET Framework is no longer being actively developed, and PKHeX is a passion project where the developers want to learn and experience modern technologies.

What does this mean?

Your Windows PC likely does not come pre-loaded with the .NET runtime that PKHeX uses.

Windows users have to install .NET 8 to use PKHeX moving forward.

How do I know I need .NET 8?

image.png

How do I run PKHeX on my Mac?

You don't. Use a Virtual Machine to run a Windows OS that has .NET 8 installed. Consider creating a separate Windows partition, or Virtual Machine using Parallels or VMWare.

Known Issues with the Latest PKHeX Release

If you wish to report an issue, make sure you are on the latest version (including hot-fix) of PKHeX. You can also check the latest commits to see if your issue has been recently addressed.

You can create your issue on the forums or, if you are a developer, on GitHub. Where possible, follow the issue template for Bug Report (Non-Legality), Feature Request, or Legality Parsing Report.

• Like 5

• Kaphotics changed the title to Issues with PKHeX? Read This First! - S/V Update