Is Wine (Mac OS X) even able to detect the .dll file?

Garlic

Hi. So I know someone else came on here before asking how to run PkHex on Wine, but now that a newer update for PkHex is out, I thought I'd give it another go. Now instead of an unexpected handle, it's just a simple error, albeit the same issue (most likely). I saw some people saying stuff about Mono and all those other things, but I'm far from a tech savvy person, so I didn't understand anything.

Do I need to place the files in a particular directory or is there no way of running on Wine now?

Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 2.12.19 PM.png

5 minutes ago, Keystone said:

I dont understand why they not make a Mac version 

Hey, do you know how to make programs for mac?

7 hours ago, Garlic said:

Hi. So I know someone else came on here before asking how to run PkHex on Wine, but now that a newer update for PkHex is out, I thought I'd give it another go. Now instead of an unexpected handle, it's just a simple error, albeit the same issue (most likely). I saw some people saying stuff about Mono and all those other things, but I'm far from a tech savvy person, so I didn't understand anything.

Do I need to place the files in a particular directory or is there no way of running on Wine now?

Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 2.12.19 PM.png

Not sure how applicable this is to you:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wine/57825-install-dlls-wine.html

and

https://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-guide/config-wine-main

I don't own a mac, but it appears that Wine does support .dlls

Something that might be helpful for a Mac user if Wine Bottler does not work for them.

Download Xamarin Studio from https://www.xamarin.com/download

Then navigate to http://teamcity.projectpokemon.org/overview.html  Log in as guest, Tick "Save Editors" and then tick the sub "PKHeX" look for the master row, click on artifacts which leads to the .zip file for the latest build for PKHeX Mono. Download that .zip and then extract that .zip  (Check regularly for updates as the team graciously supplies updates for Mono.)

The following are the steps that I take to run PKHeX. Keep in mind that this process of running PKHeX is very buggy. So you should make a backup of your save data before continuing.  

You will probably encounter the program freezing or even force closing at random times. In order to avoid frustration, I export my SAVEDATA to "main" very often after executing different things in PKHeX. 

And you can never have too many backups :D

Start Xamarin Studio. 
    After, click the Run tab and then click the Debug Application.. sub. (SCREEN SHOT 1)

Browse to the previously unzipped PKHeX Mono Build folder and select the PKHeX.exe and then click Open.(SCREEN SHOT 2)

Debugging starts and opens PKHeX. (SCREEN SHOT 3)

If anyone has a different method than I do, please share with me as I am very new to these types of things. Please correct me if I am doing these things wrong. Thank you for reading.

@Garlic @Keystone @theSLAYER @Kaphotics

CLICK RUN THEN DEBUG APPLICATION.png

BROWSE TO UNZIPPED PKHeX MONO BUILD SELECT THE PKHeX.EXE.pngDEBUGGING STARTS AND OPENS PKHeX.png

Edited by jasenyoface
  • Like 2

@Garlic @Keystone @theSLAYER

A new version of PKHeX was release a short time ago! Download the non Mono one.  So if you would like to use Wine Bottler, it will work. Pay attention to the release notes as the current release uses Internal program version .NET 4.6.  So when you build with Wine Bottler, remember to select .NET 4.6 in the Winetricks option. It may take longer than a typical Wine.

589036cbe68db_ScreenShot2017-01-31at1_48_22AM.thumb.png.9196174322210ca1af651c16f2244ba4.png589036cfab4a4_ScreenShot2017-01-31at1_54_29AM.thumb.png.0c02e09dfb40175c34798d7988aa1917.png589036d1b21e5_ScreenShot2017-01-31at1_44_43AM.png.0f118dfc7bee19c2e0a0c32c67c80590.png

Thank you @Kaphotics Flawless Victory

Edited by jasenyoface
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

Hey, do you know how to make programs for mac?

Not sure how applicable this is to you:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wine/57825-install-dlls-wine.html

and

https://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-guide/config-wine-main

I don't own a mac, but it appears that Wine does support .dlls

It does. You access it through the wine glass in the top tool bar. 

Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 6.05.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 6.04.47 AM.png

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

that is cool information, thanks!

Anyway the new update doesn't use .dlls anymore,
but it'll be good to know this, in case we switch back

I was still having the errors, even after overriding, but I probably just did something wrong, I didn't spend too much time on it due to the update.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Are You 18 Now said:

@jasenyoface Yeah sorry, to continue off from the other thread.  I did basically everything you pointed out, but when I tried to open PKHeX again, it gives me the same error as usual.  Even when I was able to make the apps, they wouldn't open either.

@Are You 18 Now Ive downloaded the most recent .zip from the PKHeX page... I am currently simulating what I did last night just to make sure I am giving you the correct info and advice...

But basically, when you tick the  MS .NET 4.6 box inside of Winebottler wintricks, it will go through a process of installing "Microsoft .NET" components.  First you will be prompted to perform the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 install process. After that you will notice more of these dialogues. They range from MS .NET 2.0   to  .NET 2.0 SP1  to .NET 2.0 SP2  to .NET 3.0 etc, etc, etc, etc! --

***PAY ATTENTION- in the middle of the whole process, a dialogue will ask you to restart your pc! Click [restart later] as that isn't relevant to the process.*** 

--Anyway, It will lead you all the way to Microsoft .NET framework 4.5  and this is where it stops and the Wine application finishes its thing. 

Patience is the major component for this process.

in the time that it took me to compose this reply, Winebottler has finished for me, and PKHeX is operational. 

Enjoy

3 minutes ago, Are You 18 Now said:

@jasenyoface  Yeah, I did get to the part where it said to restart, but chose restart now everytime.  I'll try what you suggested and see what happens!  

When you say operational, you're saying you don't have to do this whole process again, right?  One and done type thing?

One and done!  Atleast until the next release, hahahaaa:D

2 minutes ago, Are You 18 Now said:

@jasenyoface  Update:  So I did exactly what you said, and PKHeX popped up.  However, I still have the 'Install' loading bar on my screen, saying it's installing PKHeX.  The bar appears to have stopped moving.  Is that what happened with you?

can you share a screen shot of that window? When Wine wraps up, it will say something like: New Prefix Created. Or something similar.

@Are You 18 Now No, that didn't happen when Winebottler finished for me.  If i were in your situation, i would confirm that the app is in the location where it was targeted to install. If it's in the install location, I could click the (X) next to the progress bar. After clicking the (X) it may say prefix failed to install, or it may close peacefully.

Glad that its working for you! 

2 minutes ago, Are You 18 Now said:

@jasenyoface  It didn't close.  I closed it though afterwards to see if I could load it up, but no dice.  Doing another quick install to try and get to the step again.  

Ok.  Im not sure if you did last time, but wait until it says that the prefix is made. and then continue opening the pkhx app.