Pokemon Go compatibility and GenII VC

jojo12100

Hi,

2 incredible discoveries were made today thanks to SciresM and ReiKeima.

First, the compatibilty Pokemon Go-Sun/Moon is confirmed by Game ID 34 which gives a mystery icon called "Icon_Sedai_Horohoro" (which can be translated by Walking around).

Then Gen II VC are confirmed too by the fact Gameboy icon is valid for 7 games (Blue/Red/Green/Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal) from games ID 35to 41 OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Source: Here and Here

• Like 5

I'd been asking about the game ID data in SM since release, because it is a great potential indicator about future games. Glad to see the data coming out now.

Though remember how XY/ORAS had six game IDs that allowed the Gen6 pentagon marking, yet we only had four games. It was why I was sure we'd get two Z versions, but that never actually happened. So these Gen II hints may also just be future-proofing place holders, so I wouldn't totally confirm Gen II VC just yet. Same case with these other two Alola ID markings. Don't get your hopes too high like I did for "ZX" and "ZY" quite yet.

Edited by Deoxyz

Before we shout confirmed, I'll like to run through a few things.

I don't think that Pokemon Go can directly connect to Sun and Moon via Wireless.
Think of it as the developers are thinking ahead, in case they do find a way to work out the connections.

I would think that Pokemon GO connection with Pokemon Sun/moon could range via a few ways:
1. Just an event that utilizes the Game ID as a Gimmick
They could do a common giveaway to Commemorate Pokemon Go, and in S/M you receive the wondercard via serial code, with the Game ID preset to 34.
Or perhaps for a purchase in a limited time period, you get the serial code, that type of thing.
(so it isn't a trade, but rather just an event)[hence, you get a Pokemon that displays that logo]
2. Pokemon Transporter Mobile Support or via special webpage + account login
If they set up Pokemon Transporter on mobile devices to allow one way transfer, you could retrieve the Pokemon from Pokemon Bank for SM
3. Some type of app that "emulates" one way transport
If they don't combine the functionality like No. 2, they could always do an app or webpage that deletes the Pokemon,
then you get a serial code to generate it via wondercard on your 3DS.
After all, like VC Gen I, that stats likely won't retain, and will need to be regenerated.

[Point no3 is similar with Point no2, difference being Pokemon Bank is not part of the service]

As Deoxyz said, the Gen II icons are likely just future proofing.
Less of confirmed, and more of in case they intend to, it's already in the code.

They made Eternal Floette, and it hasn't been released in any event.
Shiny Locked Pokemon has Shiny Sprites, but most of them haven't been released.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Before we shout confirmed, I'll like to run through a few things.

I don't think that Pokemon Go can directly connect to Sun and Moon via Wireless.
Think of it as the developers are thinking ahead, in case they do find a way to work out the connections.

I would think that Pokemon GO connection with Pokemon Sun/moon could range via a few ways:
1. Just an event that utilizes the Game ID as a Gimmick
They could do a common giveaway to Commemorate Pokemon Go, and in S/M you receive the wondercard via serial code, with the Game ID preset to 34.
Or perhaps for a purchase in a limited time period, you get the serial code, that type of thing.
(so it isn't a trade, but rather just an event)[hence, you get a Pokemon that displays that logo]
2. Pokemon Transporter Mobile Support or via special webpage + account login
If they set up Pokemon Transporter on mobile devices to allow one way transfer, you could retrieve the Pokemon from Pokemon Bank for SM
3. Some type of app that "emulates" one way transport
If they don't combine the functionality like No. 2, they could always do an app or webpage that deletes the Pokemon,
then you get a serial code to generate it via wondercard on your 3DS.
After all, like VC Gen I, that stats likely won't retain, and will need to be regenerated.

As Deoxyz said, the Gen II icons are likely just future proofing.
Less of confirmed, and more of in case they intend to, it's already in the code.

They made Eternal Floette, and it hasn't been released in any event.
Shiny Locked Pokemon has Shiny Sprites, but most of them haven't been released.

Yes, you're right they can unrelease it but it exists in the code and for that it shows that it was programmed.

I'd love your theory about GO/SUN-MOON connection.

For GenII VC when the Pokemon BANK Update will be out I'll tell you because I transfer GSC Pokemon to my RED versions and I'll check the game ID (hope I'll work).

Edited by jojo12100

1 minute ago, jojo12100 said:

For GenII VC when the Pokemon BANK Update will be out I'll tell you because I transfer GSC Pokemon to my RED versions and I'll check the game ID (hope I'll work).

I don't think Gen I worked that way with IDs, but I may be wrong. Met/capture locations weren't visibly recorded, so I don't think it'd be internally either. The IDs for RGBY in SM will probabably be added to the pokemon's data when transfered to PokeBank.  A pokemon from GSC traded to a VC RGBY would probably just register as a RGBY pokemon.

3 minutes ago, Deoxyz said:

I don't think Gen I worked that way with IDs, but I may be wrong. Met/capture locations weren't visibly recorded, so I don't think it'd be internally either. The IDs for RGBY in SM will probabably be added to the pokemon's data when transfered to PokeBank.  A pokemon from GSC traded to a VC RGBY would probably just register as a RGBY pokemon.

You're right; game ID doesn't exist for Gen I and Gen II VC.
The game id will likely be issued by Pokemon Bank based on what game did it transfer the Pokemon from.

I'll be more interested to break into Pokemon Bank's data, to see which Title ID is allowed to connect to it.
The unused 3DS Title IDs will be what Pokemon GSC will be expected to be.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

You're right; game ID doesn't exist for Gen I and Gen II VC.
The game id will likely be issued by Pokemon Bank based on what game did it transfer the Pokemon from.

I'll be more interested to break into Pokemon Bank's data, to see which Title ID is allowed to connect to it.
The unused 3DS Title IDs will be what Pokemon GSC will be expected to be.

That's will be easy if we can extract the Pokemon Bank new version app.

Just have to search the missing Game ID and it's done.

Note about AZ Floette that it still exists in Gen7 so maybe the event will be distributed one day. Unlike Gizamimi Pichu its data was not erased at all

For reference:

Spoiler

24 X
25 Y
26 AS
27 OR
28 (Gen6/pentagon placeholder)
29 (Gen6/pentagon placeholder)
30 Sun
31 Moon
32 (Gen7/Alola placeholder)
33 (Gen7/Alola placeholder)
34 (???)
35 (GameBoy game placeholder)
36 (GameBoy game placeholder)
37 (GameBoy game placeholder)
38 (GameBoy game placeholder)
39 (GameBoy game placeholder)
40 (GameBoy game placeholder)
41 (GameBoy game placeholder)

You can bet 35-38 will be RGBY, but 39-41 are in the same grey area as 28 and 29. The placeholders were put there for future potential, but not definitely confirmed to be used.

The bigger question is what really is 34. GO is all I could assume, but it's still odd.

Edited by Deoxyz

1 minute ago, jojo12100 said:

Note about AZ Floette that it still exists in Gen7 so maybe the event will be distributed one day. Unlike Gizamimi Pichu its data was not erased at all

Yeah I've been waiting for this to be released, but its taking forever.

It's a pity that the older mons like Spiky Ear Pichu (and likely Cosplay Pikachu) can't be transferred over.
Within the list of annoyed things that aren't ported over, includes Pokestar Animation and N's animation.

6 minutes ago, Deoxyz said:

For reference:

Reveal hidden contents

24 X
25 Y
26 AS
27 OR
28 (Gen6/pentagon placeholder)
29 (Gen6/pentagon placeholder)
30 Sun
31 Moon
32 (Gen7/Alola placeholder)
33 (Gen7/Alola placeholder)
34 (???)
35 (GameBoy game placeholder)
36 (GameBoy game placeholder)
37 (GameBoy game placeholder)
38 (GameBoy game placeholder)
39 (GameBoy game placeholder)
40 (GameBoy game placeholder)
41 (GameBoy game placeholder)

You can bet 35-38 will be RGBY, but 39-41 are in the same grey area as 28 and 29. The placeholders were put there for future potential, but not definitely confirmed to be used.

The bigger question is what really is 34

34 is Pokemon GO.

Yep you're right @theSLAYER Cosplay Pikachu can't be transfered too. So much people will be frustrated by that.

But Gizamimi Pichu and Cosplay Pikachu can be "illegally transfered" just they don't have their forms whereas AZ Floette was not distributed at all.

Hope so much Pokemon Bank update release in order to tell you more about.

Edited by jojo12100

Actually, loading 34 into the game doesn't say Met in Pokemon Go,
not like how Pokemon will say from RBY.

Horohoro means Walking around, alludes to Pokemon Go, but once again, not "confirmed".

Here are some screenshots:

ID 34 (alleged Pokemon GO)

Spoiler

capture1.PNG

ID 35 (alleged Red)

Spoiler

capture2.PNG

ID 39 (Alleged Gold)

Spoiler

capture3.PNG

It's odd that it doesn't overwrite everything and says it came from Pokemon Go,
But rather kept the description as From Kalos.

ID 39 doesn't say from Johto, but rather from Distant Land.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jojo12100 said:

Yep, read my first post, look at the sources, it shows not only the icon but also its meaning in Japanese.

I can't actually figure what the icon marker is supposed to be, but if it really is related to GO, then that would settle it. Where does someone verify what "sedai horohoro" means? Google is only giving me rough translations such as "the world by ones and twos", which I guess could be interpreted as walking, aka GO.

Edited by Deoxyz

14 minutes ago, Deoxyz said:

I can't actually figure what the icon marker is supposed to be, but if it really is realted to GO, then that would settle it. Where does someone verifiy what "sedai horohoro" means? Google is only giving me rough translations such as "the world by ones and twos", which I guess could be interpreted as walking, aka GO.

What I found on Twitter

PkmGoHint.PNG

Edited by jojo12100

2 minutes ago, Deoxyz said:

I can't actually figure what the icon marker is supposed to be, but if it really is realted to GO, then that would settle it. Where does someone verifiy what "sedai horohoro" means? Google is only giving me rough translations such as "the world by ones and twos", which I guess could be interpreted as walking, aka GO.

Sedai usually means Generation, but leaving it in hiragana gave me..

Capture.PNG

What utter nonsense. Horohoro doesn't have a specific meaning.

It doesn't meant anything.

The tweet that says walking around the world appears to have been deleted.

1 minute ago, theSLAYER said:

ID 39 doesn't say from Johto, but rather from Distant Land.

That's to be expected when obtained from a game that isn't yet released, like with all past generations "Faraway place" etc. VC RBGY were out before SM, which is why it says from Kanto. You're right about GO, not sure why they left it saying from Kalos instead of saying something unique since it was out before SM.

Okay, so 歩 is a word I recognize from Chinese, being steps.
and 歩ろ seems to refer to walking, pronounced as "horo" in japanese.
So while the naming is in romanji (roman characters),

Sedai Horohoro could like mean the generation of walking around aimlessly, or world scale walking around aimlessly.
(世代歩ろ歩ろ) and (世大歩ろ歩ろ)

Which both can imply PGO.

That's to be expected when obtained from a game that isn't yet released, like with all past generations "Faraway place" etc. VC RBGY were out before SM, which is why it says from Kanto. You're right about GO, not sure why they left it saying from Kalos instead of saying something unique since it was out before SM.

Not mentioning it's from Johto could either mean:
They're not entirely committed to having a VC Gen II or,
They'll fix it and swap it out to Johto with a SM patch afterwards.

Yeah, worse part is for ID 34, they didn't even bother to "It came from Pokemon GO" or "It came from a distant land".

Btw, if you can't tell, I'm running off citra, so this is unpatched game.
Not sure if these changes were already made/already addressed in the recent patch for SM.

• Like 1

Okay, so 歩 is a word I recognize from Chinese, being steps.
and 歩ろ seems to refer to walking, pronounced as "horo" in japanese.
So while the naming is in romanji (roman characters),

Sedai Horohoro could like mean the generation of walking around aimlessly, or world scale walking around aimlessly.
(世代歩ろ歩ろ) and (世大歩ろ歩ろ)

Which both can imply PGO.

I was in Masuda Masterclass this year and he explains us that the main idea behind and the code name project of Go was Walking. He made a funny joke about french walking so fast and shows us how the music corresponds to a walk.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Btw, if you can't tell, I'm running off citra, so this is unpatched game.

Not sure if these changes were already made/already addressed in the recent patch for SM.

Did XY and ORAS have a corresponding patch upon their Bank releases? I can't remember.

Also, how can I change a pokemon's game ID values? I tried figuring out with a hex editor a few years back, but couldn't figure it. I can test it with the current SM patch.

Though, I don't recall them patching XY to have ORAS pokemon say "from Hoenn", so I'm not sure if they'd do it for this generation.

Edited by Deoxyz

12 minutes ago, jojo12100 said:

I was in Masuda Masterclass this year and he explains us that the main idea behind and the code name project of Go was Walking. He made a funny joke about french walking so fast and shows us how the music corresponds to a walk.

That sounds pretty epic.

I'll say it's safe to assume so, because there isn't any other ongoing Pokemon game out there, with so much possible connection details being in the SM data as Pokemon GO.

Furthermore, given Codename: Pokemon Stars is slated to be on the Switch, they would have to work on cross Platform Pokemon Bank,
which gives all the more reason for possibility of transfer from Pokemon Go.

Did XY and ORAS have a corresponding patch upon their Bank releases? I can't remember.

Also, how can I change a pokemon's game ID values? I tried figuring out with a hex editor a few years back, but couldn't figure it. I can test it with the current SM patch.

I think the info was already pre-programmed into XY,
Plus the Pokemon format didn't change too drastically from BW/B2W2 days.

Also, it was not like BW/B2W2 was released after XY (which would be our case: Gen 2 VC coming out after SM).
Or maybe Gen 2 VC is scheduled for future games, so SM will show Distant Land, but in "Stars" will show Johto
[all they had to do was refer to game ID, as per usual]

Trading Pokemon from Emerald-unique places or FRLG Pokemon to Ruby/Sapphire did give different summary text, after all.

I don't think PKHeX will allow game ID edits or accept such changes,
so what I did was to edit Greninja's wondercard to display different received game.
(set at 0x6C)

EDIT:
There could be one reason why ID 34 doesn't act like it was transferred from a previous generation.
The reason is, what if it isn't a previous generation deal.
It's likely treated as a Generation 7 game.

That sounds pretty epic.

I'll say it's safe to assume so, because there isn't any other ongoing Pokemon game out there, with so much possible connection details being in the SM data as Pokemon GO.

Furthermore, given Codename: Pokemon Stars is slated to be on the Switch, they would have to work on cross Platform Pokemon Bank,
which gives all the more reason for possibility of transfer from Pokemon Go.

Yep, I think so. They are working on ^^ for Stars maybe who knows?

Cross.PNG

1 minute ago, ajxpk said:

A distant land?
Pokémon Collosseum/XD Nintendo Switch VC Release... Remaster or Remake... confirmed! lol *joke*

I just find it weird they decided to give it the gameboy icon, yet didn't name it Johto -.-
how slipshod can one be?

I'm downloaded v1.1 now to see if there'll be an difference.

@jojo12100 I'll say it is a dream for Masuda.
To rope people in and away from the Mobile Pokemon to real Pokemon.