[SDSME] How Do I Find Out a Maps Correct Texture?

So normally in SDSME to start editing a map file, I'll locate it first by going to Matrix Editor -> Map Files, then double click on the area I want to edit. Then it'll open it up in the Map Editor, but it'll either default to No Texture in 1.8.1b or default to Texture 15 in 1.8.1 and 1.8.0 in every single map. Is it supposed to function this way and I might just be missing something or is there another way I can find out the correct texture for a map?

Edited by Saphiresurf

1 hour ago, Saphiresurf said:

So normally in SDSME to start editing a map file, I'll locate it first by going to Matrix Editor -> Map Files, then double click on the area I want to edit. Then it'll open it up in the Map Editor, but it'll either default to No Texture in 1.8.1b or default to Texture 15 in 1.8.1 and 1.8.0 in every single map. Is it supposed to function this way and I might just be missing something or is there another way I can find out the correct texture for a map?

I've got a little guide here:

Once you find the map texture after going through matrix editor and map editor, as per the guide,
know the the program doesn't load the correct texture for you.

you've got to scroll to it every single time.

4 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

I've got a little guide here:

Once you find the map texture after going through matrix editor and map editor, as per the guide,
know the the program doesn't load the correct texture for you.

you've got to scroll to it every single time.

Oh man this is awesome thank you so much ^_^. Would be nice if we could automate this, maybe someday soon (good thing SDSME is open sourced now!). Also, another curiosity, do you know if it's possible at all yet to export importable maps out of blender yet? As far as I know I don't think blender or a plugin for blender supports exporting .nsbmb, but I'm curious if a new method has been implemented. Do you still just have to use either Maya or 3DS Max with that one dev plugin?

24 minutes ago, Saphiresurf said:

Oh man this is awesome thank you so much ^_^. Would be nice if we could automate this, maybe someday soon (good thing SDSME is open sourced now!). Also, another curiosity, do you know if it's possible at all yet to export importable maps out of blender yet? As far as I know I don't think blender or a plugin for blender supports exporting .nsbmb, but I'm curious if a new method has been implemented. Do you still just have to use either Maya or 3DS Max with that one dev plugin?

haven't been using any of those, so I don't think so?

7 minutes ago, Saphiresurf said:

Whoops yeah that's fair xD. I suppose a better question would be is there anything you'd recommend for map editing if you've had any experience with it?

well, I just used my guide and.. got used to it.

Replacing maps worked just fine, adding textures doesn't really register in the game.

I did revive Route 10 in W2 after all (lol), so that's my only experience dealing with map editing on DS.

5 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

well, I just used my guide and.. got used to it.

Replacing maps worked just fine, adding textures doesn't really register in the game.

I did revive Route 10 in W2 after all (lol), so that's my only experience dealing with map editing on DS.

Yeh, I mean tbh it's not that big of a deal at all, I'll get used to it, too, just was thinking it'll be cool if we see someone repick up development on SDSME at some point :3.

Also good to know, I'm thinking of trying to edit it in 3D software which atm looks like my best options are getting an old version of Maya and use a proprietary plugin (which is too many illegals) or try to use Blender/Google Sketch or something else and convert them with MKDS Course Modifier. Slowly figuring out how to do it, but I still haven't been able to successfully edit something and reimport it, so I'll probably get back to you on how that goes if it strikes your curiosity xD. Worst comes to worse maybe make another thread for it to see if anyone has some knowledge to lend on this subject.

• Like 1