Unreleased Prototype Pokemon

jojo12100

On 5/24/2018 at 3:01 PM, jojo12100 said:

Does anyone know what the Alpha Saphire Jirachi's Easter Egg refer to?

I mean the date : 07/10/2003

Does that correspond to any event or thing related to Jirachi?

It's likely 07/07/2003 (07/07/2002 when playing in a language other than Spanish), since July 7th is the data of the Japanese festival Tanabata, which Jirachi is inspired by.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Invader TAK said:

It's likely 07/07/2003 (07/07/2002 when playing in a language other than Spanish), since July 7th is the data of the Japanese festival Tanabata, which Jirachi is inspired by.

I gave the french date which is not the same apparently as English ones, so strange

1 hour ago, jojo12100 said:

can you help me to find offset locations, please?

The pk2 structure is identical to the final games. Basically a pk2 looks like this.

General PK2 Structure
0x00        0x01
0x01        Species ID
0x02        0xFF
0x03 - 0x32 Pokemon data https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_data_structure_in_Generation_II
0x33 - 0x3D OT
0x3E - 0x48 Nickname

As you may know OT names and nicknames are stored separately from the rest and the first 3 bytes are not present in the save file. This is also the case for the demo.

For the save file the offsets are as follows:

0x2000 Party Pokemon count
0x2001 - 0x2007 Party Pokemon species IDs (+ 0xFF as terminator at the end of the list)
0x2008 - 0x2007 Party Pokemon (30 bytes)
0x2128 - 0x214B OTs (6 bytes, 0x50 as padding bytes)
0x214C - 0x216F Party nicknames (6 bytes, 0x50 as padding bytes)

In the RAM you will find the same structure starting with the party Pokemon count at 0xD6AA.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BlackShark said:

The pk2 structure is identical to the final games. Basically a pk2 looks like this.

General PK2 Structure
0x00        0x01
0x01        Species ID
0x02        0xFF
0x03 - 0x32 Pokemon data https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_data_structure_in_Generation_II
0x33 - 0x3D OT
0x3E - 0x48 Nickname

As you may know OT names and nicknames are stored separately from the rest and the first 3 bytes are not present in the save file. This is also the case for the demo.

For the save file the offsets are as follows:

0x2000 Party Pokemon count
0x2001 - 0x2007 Party Pokemon species IDs (+ 0xFF as terminator at the end of the list)
0x2008 - 0x2007 Party Pokemon (30 bytes)
0x2128 - 0x214B OTs (6 bytes)
0x214C - 0x216F Party nicknames (6 bytes)

In the RAM you will find the same structure starting with the party Pokemon count at 0xD6AA.

Good to know!
Too bad the save function in the debug listing doesn't seem to save :(

3 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Good to know!
Too bad the save function in the debug listing doesn't seem to save :(

Yes, hope it can be fixed but thinking about DP demo don't hope too much.

We'll have to dump RAM or even use Marowak's ghost method if there are uncatchable.

Any encounter list anywhere?

2 hours ago, jojo12100 said:

Yes, hope it can be fixed but thinking about DP demo don't hope too much.

We'll have to dump RAM or even use Marowak's ghost method if there are uncatchable.

Any encounter list anywhere?

True, but I know they intend to hack it so that it is somewhat playable.

Encounter list no, but the debug menu can be used to force encounters for the ones that couldn't be captured!

@BlackShark at those addresses, I indeed see Party Pokemon data.
However, I tried to change both species (the list and the party together), but no dice.
I wonder if it's being validated at another area.

edit again:
Looks like it's VBA that isn't changing the value. (tried making cheats)

2 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

@BlackShark at those addresses, I indeed see Party Pokemon data.
However, I tried to change both species (the list and the party together), but no dice.
I wonder if it's being validated at another area. 

There is no validation. It worked for me and I didn't change anything else than both species as well. :/

1 minute ago, BlackShark said:

There is no validation. It worked for me and I didn't change anything else than both species as well. :/

The problem was my VBA.
I just switched to BGB, and succeeded at making Shinies + Changing Species.

Shiny Gyarados isn't red. lol.
image.png

For the moment I was able to transfer the datas of my Girafarig in an English Gold Rom, I'll have to work to do it in a Japanese Gold Rom now.

@BlackShark When I try to apply the same method in Japanese Gold than in US Gold it corrupts my datas, any idea why? Probably data compression

@BlackShark When I try to apply the same method in Japanese Gold than in US Gold it corrupts my datas, any idea why? Probably data compression

Oops, I think I made a mistake. There are actually two different types of pk2 files. Those from Japanese games are a bit shorter than those from international games because OT names and nicknames are shorter. They are both only 6 bytes. Probably your names were too long.

General Japanese PK2 Structure
0x00        0x01
0x01        Species ID
0x02        0xFF
0x33 - 0x38 OT
0x39 - 0x3E Nickname

The party structure in Japanese save files is as I described above.

You should be able to just copy the block from 0x2000 - 0x216F in the demo save (or 0xD6AA - 0xD819 in the RAM) to 0x283E - 0x29AD in a Japanese retail save. Then just fix the save checksums with PKHeX. I haven't tested this though.

2 hours ago, BlackShark said:

Oops, I think I made a mistake. There are actually two different types of pk2 files. Those from Japanese games are a bit shorter than those from international games because OT names and nicknames are shorter. They are both only 6 bytes. Probably your names were too long.

General Japanese PK2 Structure
0x00        0x01
0x01        Species ID
0x02        0xFF
0x33 - 0x38 OT
0x39 - 0x3E Nickname

The party structure in Japanese save files is as I described above.

You should be able to just copy the block from 0x2000 - 0x216F in the demo save (or 0xD6AA - 0xD819 in the RAM) to 0x283E - 0x29AD in a Japanese retail save. Then just fix the save checksums with PKHeX. I haven't tested this though.

Thanks, it worked in part, I had to recreate the OT and fix an issue with EXP differences with PkHex.

So first Pokemon location in RAM D6B2 in Demo and D9F0 in Japanese Gold for me.

Here my Girafarig.

Hope you'll enjoy.

203 - キリンリキ - 8CD2.pk2

There are way too much Pokemon to get.

Where can I find the lv3 Hoothoot please?

When you bypass the guard you can sometimes access to wild grass of other routes and so new Pokemon.

You also receive at the beggining 3 random Pokemon by developpers. I got a Mew one time.

010 - キャタピー - 03F0.pk2

011 - トランセル - 8A46.pk2

016 - ポッポ - 85D4.pk2

019 - コラッタ - 57E0.pk2

023 - アーボ - CA3E.pk2

037 - ロコン - 8D3B.pk2

043 - ナゾノクサ - 13C1.pk2

152 - チコリータ - E3CF.pk2

163 - ホーホー - 8C4F.pk2

165 - レディバ - 0C8D.pk2

187 - ハネッコ - B9F5.pk2

203 - キリンリキ - 8CD2.pk2

227 - エアームド - E5D4.pk2

Edit: I also discovered Giovanni is back and the unfamous Hanted House.

You also receive at the beggining 3 random Pokemon by developpers. I got a Mew one time.

wait 3? I alway only get one Pokemon, which is the starter.

Tho, there are a few Pokemon in the PC, if you access it via the debug menu.
I think 2 Mr. Mimes and something else.

17 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

wait 3? I alway only get one Pokemon, which is the starter.

Tho, there are a few Pokemon in the PC, if you access it via the debug menu.
I think 2 Mr. Mimes and something else.

You can pick them in your room, also with a Potion lol, this is the only way to heal too.

I discovered so many things during this quest: Giovanni, an aquarium, many glitches, ...

I did my best to catch all the wild ones, will try later to add trainers ones especially the Slowking.

021 - オニスズメ - 0C47.pk2

102 - タマタマ - 45D2.pk2

074 - イシツブテ - 0E9F.pk2

021 - オニスズメ - 0C47.pk2.bak

061 - ニョロゾ - 7E26.pk2

027 - サンド - EC8D.pk2

072 - メノクラゲ - A2CD.pk2

084 - ドードー - 3EE8.pk2

187 - ハネッコ - 9393.pk2

209 - ブルー - C34B.pk2

060 - ニョロモ - 5D4A.pk2

057 - オコリザル - F4FE.pk2

165 - レディバ - 7114.pk2

104 - カラカラ - 2D3A.pk2

020 - ラッタ - 2A72.pk2

052 - ニャース - C42E.pk2

227 - エアームド - F5F1.pk2

024 - アーボック - FD45.pk2

111 - サイホーン - 73D0.pk2

017 - ピジョン - B3EA.pk2

097 - スリーパー - 9FE6.pk2

096 - スリープ - 91EB.pk2

235 - ドーブル - 8BF2.pk2

I've actually played the demo for a bit, and it's a REALLY interesting playthrough. The same yet completely different to what we got. The Voodoo doll Pokemon has to be one of my favorites of the early designs.

I know this may seem like a long stretch, but I do hope PKHeX adds support for this when things become more polished, translated, and saving gets added. You could argue that "it's going to be classified as a hack by then, so by those standards all hacks should be added to the database!" but I consider this a special case. There are dozens of hacks out there, but this was officially made by Game Freak and the only thing that's getting added by the hackers is an English translation, various bug fixes, and the ability to save. Everything else was made in house and not by any sort of fan. The fact that the Diamond and Pearl demo is supported by PKHeX with a few tweaks also really hammers the point in.

On a more unrelated note, I came up with some of my own fan assumptions about this vastly different region. It's in a spoiler because it doesn't exactly fit the criteria of the topic.

Spoiler

I consider this new vastly different Johto it's own separate region. I personally named it the "Johta" region, after "beta Johto" obviously, and it is basically in a parallel dimension where certain events that occurred in the actual Johto took a different turn, explaining why Misty and Giovanni are part of the Elite Four in this region. The different climates of the region also resulted in some Pokemon getting "Johtan" forms while also introducing some unique Pokemon of their own, with some Gen 1 Pokemon being able to evolve in the region thanks to some unique environments and some newly discovered items found in those places.

So yeah, it's a different region with its own unique timeline, Pokemon, and forms of certain Pokemon. An Alola region cranked up a few pegs? Probably.

• Like 2

On 5/31/2018 at 8:21 AM, BlackShark said:

I spend a while with the demo now and it's really interesting. Especially all the Pokemon that never officially released.

If you hit select on the title screen a debug menu will open. The second option in there will start the game and saving is actually possible, you can't continue your saved game though. Anyway you could get some pk2 out of the save file but I don't think it's really worth to get any of them as their sprites are the special thing.

The title screen by the way looks really nice as well, I like this one even more than the final screen.
titlescreen.gif.632da88def5e7eb240a7569940adda21.gif

Hey! I'm making VC ports for these. Can you get nice GIFs of both title screens like above but in greyscale? Also, if you know of anyone that has the extended version of Rodin Bold with the Japanese Kana included please let me know. I'm trying to create .cia files as close to retail as possible.

-fs

6 hours ago, FalseSwipe said:

Hey! I'm making VC ports for these. Can you get nice GIFs of both title screens like above but in greyscale? Also, if you know of anyone that has the extended version of Rodin Bold with the Japanese Kana included please let me know. I'm trying to create .cia files as close to retail as possible.

-fs

I don't have Rodin Bold but here are the title screens.

Gold_Demo.gif

Silver_Demo.gif

• Like 1

bgb00001.png.25027009229702cc7d9bdf0423a8a0fc.png bgb00002.png.1c9b0af398dce84df47c5ec607cfd701.png

This demo bloody loves me.

I even managed to trade the Caterpie over to Japanese Blue for exporting. Shinies didn't exist back then, but it SHOULD still be shiny if you trade it back to one of the demos.

I would have used a Japanese Gold or Silver for trading, but I heard that it errors out and you can't trade with those games.

010 - キャタピー - 71F6.pk1

Edited by SwagKey
  • Like 1

A demo of Pokemon let's go Pikachu/Eevee will be playable during E3. I guess they finally learned the lesson. It's in fact a bad news knowing all the difficulty we still have in order to get RS demo, FRLG demo, BW and XY demos.

@SwagKey Your caterpie does not become shiny when trade to gen2. This is probably because of the shiny odd are not the same in demo than in final game.

• Like 2

It's in fact a bad news knowing all the difficulty we still have in order to get RS demo, FRLG demo, BW and XY demos.

I heard at least one of these may or may not be in collector's hands. :P

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, jojo12100 said:

@SwagKey Your caterpie does not become shiny when trade to gen2. This is probably because of the shiny odd are not the same in demo than in final game.

21 hours ago, SwagKey said:

I even managed to trade the Caterpie over to Japanese Blue for exporting. Shinies didn't exist back then, but it SHOULD still be shiny if you trade it back to one of the demos.