Got a 3ds XL for xmas, Help starting from scratch?

phact

(EDIT: id totally be willing to skype with someone who would be willing to assist me with getting started .__.) if you are able to skype with me to help, please add my skype at MrFerrex

Hello everyone. can anyone link me to tutorials for getting PKHex to fully function from the very start of opening a 3ds? ive been trying to google it and finding videos and such and they all keep alluding to something along the lines of "Homebrew wont work with current menu hacks or requires hacks that requires you to have the physical game that i dont own....."

so, im looking for like a from scratch guide that currently works as of today 12/26/16, setting up the software on my 3dsXL (haven't updated or used it yet) and computer

Little background, im an adult who played pokemon first gen as a child when it came out. i havent played pokemon since Black 2 white 2, where i would simply gameshark the pokes for my younger cousins. A family member decided to give a 23 year old man a 3dsXL for Christmas.... (me)... so i decided to grab pokemon sun and catch up on the last 2 gen of pokemon that ive missed. i have no idea really how to use this 3ds or this software, but as im a software engineer, it wont be hard for me to find out once i discover what software i actually need

so

i have a 3ds XL, havent updated it out of the box (says Ver. 6.1.0-12U), pokemon sun, and a 3 grand custom GTX 1070 gaming laptop i can use whatever software i need on it. what do i need to do? links?

Edited by phact

Did you even look at it?

What can I do with Custom Firmware?

• Play all game cards and eShop games, regardless of region
  • Customize your HOME Menu with user-created themes and badges
  • Use “ROM hacks” for games that you own
  • Take gameplay and application screenshots
  •  >>>>>>>>>>>> Backup, edit, and restore saves for many games <<<<<<<<<<<<
  • Play games for older systems with various emulators, using RetroArch or other standalone emulators. (Works best with a New Nintendo 3DS)
  • Install homebrew titles to your system, and have them appear on your HOME Menu
  • Dump your game cards to a format you can install, and play them without needing the card
  • New 3DS only: stream live gameplay to your PC wirelessly with NTR CFW
  • Run many old Nintendo DS flash carts that were blocked long ago or never worked on Nintendo 3DS
  • Safely update to the latest system version without fear of losing access to homebrew

4 minutes ago, Ammako said:

Did you even look at it?

What can I do with Custom Firmware?

• Play all game cards and eShop games, regardless of region
  • Customize your HOME Menu with user-created themes and badges
  • Use “ROM hacks” for games that you own
  • Take gameplay and application screenshots
  •  >>>>>>>>>> Backup, edit, and restore saves for many games <<<<<<<<<<<<<
  • Play games for older systems with various emulators, using RetroArch or other standalone emulators. (Works best with a New Nintendo 3DS)
  • Install homebrew titles to your system, and have them appear on your HOME Menu
  • Dump your game cards to a format you can install, and play them without needing the card
  • New 3DS only: stream live gameplay to your PC wirelessly with NTR CFW
  • Run many old Nintendo DS flash carts that were blocked long ago or never worked on Nintendo 3DS
  • Safely update to the latest system version without fear of losing access to homebrew

i did 

but this doesnt answer my question because it doesnt let me know whats needed or what information in that guide is relevant towards using PKHex

i am asking: what software is needed, and is there a specific way i need to set it up?

so im hoping for a guide or at least a list along the lines of:

for your 3ds youll need:

hack1337mod, a altered 3ds, and the pokemon game

for your computer youll need:

pkhex and a 4000 wat power adaptor

an actual list of whats needed, and maybe a link towards getting it set up, once its set up i know how to use PKhex through the videos ive found through research

Edited by phact

The guide lists every single detail you may need, I don't know what else you'd want. It's literally a step-by-step that's been made as noob-proof as possible, and tells you everything you need for each step.

16 minutes ago, evandixon said:

This guide relies heavily on Plailect's guide, but contains what to do afterward.

2 hours ago, Ammako said:

The guide lists every single detail you may need, I don't know what else you'd want. It's literally a step-by-step that's been made as noob-proof as possible, and tells you everything you need for each step.

im currently on part 2 of the guide that Ammako sent me

however nothing launches after i type the URL into my browser

it simply says the dll is loading, it never glitches out to the black screen or anything. any assistance?

is it possible one of you could skype with me to assist?

2 hours ago, Ammako said:

current folder setup for the SD looks as such

Root:62b3796696e9a47f36cebfeb3f5e5fc4.png

luma:

fb10c83e144e49a20178a43367b99172.png

file9 (didnt have one so i had to create one for the step that required moving files to it):

8a04aca21105c9a6eb8222e6e371b486.png

cias:

9579f1a282f1e9952c375dc37d53a809.png

a9lh:

609035458eabd069380e337184be62dd.png

3ds:

2cb0144e0d01c858011e2314dbf00242.png

i must be missing something :\

4 minutes ago, ReignOfComputer said:

while reading i must be missing that part in the guide that was sent to me, which page was that step on?

where do i find the links to those .dat files?

Edited by phact

2 minutes ago, ReignOfComputer said:

The guide's really easy to follow mate, you're welcome to ask more questions here if you hit bumps along the way but there's only so much spoon-feeding we can do :/

.___.

i may have skipped step 1

im currently sitting at "Decrypt9WIP.dat loading, and nothing is happening

tbh, based off of a youtube video i saw, i went straight to the page https://3ds.guide/installing-arm9loaderhax and started from there

but you are saying that i skipped step 2, which is the Decrypt part.... which implies there had to have been a step 1.... which i clearly didnt follow, and must be essensial as i dont see anything happening.

7 minutes ago, evandixon said:

Have you tried clearing the browser's cache?

i think my mishap with not going through step one may have doomed myself

because i didnt follow through step one, and basically went to step 3, i couldnt access the internet without updating

it appears that since i updated from  6.1.0-12U  to 11.2.0-35U, that ill have to HARDMOD my 3ds in order to get this to work or have access to one of the games pulled from the eshop

which i dont, and cant currently do.

is there a way around hardmodding the device to get this done? i dont have another 3ds, a soldering kit, or the eshop games

Edited by phact

Just now, ReignOfComputer said:

If you've jumped the gun and is not on 11.2 you're pretty much stuck. You'll have to hardmod or wait for some new exploit.

i KNEW i shouldnt have updated T___T i knew something was wrong T__T

o well, thank you reign for your assistance. i will stay posted for new exploits if one arises. please feel free to quote me though if a new one comes out. feel free to close this embarrassing thread T__T

I'm sorry, but with all due respect, if you are skipping steps and are unable to follow the guide properly, for your own safety you should hold off from doing this. It's a recipe for disaster that leads to people skipping and/or screwing up vital steps, and bricking their 3DS. The guide has been made as noob-proof as possible and is completely safe, but only as long as you're able to follow it correctly.

You should instead hunt down a copy of SSB4 Rev02, with the 9.2 update. That will update a <9.2 3DS to 9.2, and then you should stick with installing menuhax and running CFW that way. It may be hard to find Rev02 of Smash Bros., but once you have it, you can easily get homebrew launcher running to get menuhax set up (if browser isn't working then OoT3D + Powersaves is easy to come by, for accessing HBL through oot3dhax.)

An easier option would probably be to get a Sky3DS, then you can find a rom of SSB4 Rev02 online for updating to 9.2, and a rom of Cubic Ninja for HBL access. It'd probably wouldn't be that much more expensive, and it would make things much easier.