Extracting Hall of Fame Pokemon from HeartGold Save File

Garblon

5 minutes ago, Garblon said:

This is fine. I can met conditions can be found via Serebii/Bulbapedia, I can just guess what pokeball were used (I don't really remember their original pokeballs), all of them were from the US, and They were all holding items that boosted the power of the moves they had (i.e. Twisted Spoon, Mystic Water, ect.).

Thank you for your time & effort to make this! :)

No worries!

I think this may have been requested a few times (though I think people want an editor function too)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

I'm considering it, but I'll need to find one of my older saves with DP/Pt Hall of fame cleared in order to grab the offsets, to make sure I'm getting the correct values..

So to view the PID info in the save file myself using HxD, do I simply open up the .sav file in HxD and try searching the full PID in Hex form?

On 12/18/2016 at 3:07 AM, theSLAYER said:

I've updated the program, it should work with all Gen IV files. (it does with mine)

edit: DP reading wrong index, hot-fixed.

Thank you so much for your help, this is huge! Finally able to recover some old Pokemon's data (PID) for recreation, again I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate your help :)

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Old topic, I know, but came  across it while editing a Gen 5 HOF. I've isolated the place where date is encoded in the hex, but when I change the hex (in HxD), my HOF data is erased when I start the game. I have also tried uploading and saving the save file from pkhex, but to no avail.

Any thoughts as to why this issue occurs, or how to prevent it? All I am doing is changing the year and month, not the date or h/m/s

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Cass said:

Old topic, I know, but came  across it while editing a Gen 5 HOF. I've isolated the place where date is encoded in the hex, but when I change the hex (in HxD), my HOF data is erased when I start the game. I have also tried uploading and saving the save file from pkhex, but to no avail.

Any thoughts as to why this issue occurs, or how to prevent it? All I am doing is changing the year and month, not the date or h/m/s

Thanks!

Checksums exist to detect if things are corrupted. If things are corrupted outside of the game's control, it wipes the data.

1 hour ago, Kaphotics said:

Checksums exist to detect if things are corrupted. If things are corrupted outside of the game's control, it wipes the data.

Makes sense why checksums exist, but I am not clear on why editing four hex digits (two in HOF and two in the backup HOF) is beyond the game's control, especially when the digits I used to replace represent actual dates. I would understand why the game would corrupt if I changed the month to 13 or something, but I don't get why a correct edit made this difference.

Also, is there a better way to edit this that I'm just not aware of 😂

9 minutes ago, Cass said:

Makes sense why checksums exist, but I am not clear on why editing four hex digits (two in HOF and two in the backup HOF) is beyond the game's control, especially when the digits I used to replace represent actual dates. I would understand why the game would corrupt if I changed the month to 13 or something, but I don't get why a correct edit made this difference.

Also, is there a better way to edit this that I'm just not aware of 😂

The game didn't make those changes; it's protecting itself against random bitflips that may yield a corrupt game state.

Changing a value is fine, but you have to update the checksum so the game doesn't freak out.

10 minutes ago, Kaphotics said:

The game didn't make those changes; it's protecting itself against random bitflips that may yield a corrupt game state.

Changing a value is fine, but you have to update the checksum so the game doesn't freak out.

Yeah I thought I could remedy that by changing the hex digits in HxD, then uploading and then saving from PKHeX after verifying checksums, but it doesn't seem to work :( Either the changes do not take effect (date remains unchanged) or the HOF data is wiped. Unless I missed a step, this seems like it should work