Extracting Hall of Fame Pokemon from HeartGold Save File

Garblon

A while ago, I lost half of all of my Pokemon from every Pokemon game that I had played until Pokemon X. After that sad event, I tried to retrieve my lost Pokemon via countless methods, that usually failed. However, after retrieving some of my lost Pokemon from Pokemon White, I realized that the 4th gen games held impartial copies of every Pokemon that successfully beats the elite 4.

So, I extracted my Heart Gold save file from my cartridge from my cartridge and searched numerous times. Nonetheless, I had came to the realization that I had no idea where the hallof fame data was stored...

So, where's the Hall of Fame data for Pokemon Heart Gold located? It was the first Pokemon game that I played, So I beat the elite 4 seven times (Just for kicks), so it should be easy to identify...

Edited by Garblon
forgot to add "Hall of Fame" to the main question

In BW/B2W2, only these information are retained in Hall of Fame,
but HGSS may retain lesser:
Nickname, Species, OT name, Level, Forme, Moves, PID, TID, SID (last 3 is for shininess).

A good place is to start is that if the Hall of Fame portion of the save isn't shuffled/encrypted,
you can try searching the PID of the Pokemon of your New save to figure out the offsets to search on your older save.

If its only that one save, you may want to search for the Nickname in Hex then.

Longer chains of data (nickname, PID) would be easier to find than just Species ID.

8 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

In BW/B2W2, only these information are retained in Hall of Fame,
but HGSS may retain lesser:
Nickname, Species, OT name, Level, Forme, Moves, PID, TID, SID (last 3 is for shininess).

A good place is to start is that if the Hall of Fame portion of the save isn't shuffled/encrypted,
you can try searching the PID of the Pokemon of your New save to figure out the offsets to search on your older save.

If its only that one save, you may want to search for the Nickname in Hex then.

Longer chains of data (nickname, PID) would be easier to find than just Species ID.

By checking the hall of fame in-game, I already know that the Nickname, species, OT name, and moves are saved. The game also displays whether the Pokemon is shiny or not due to the fact that the shiny Gyarados that I had during my first few elite 4 runs was still red. Luckily, I still have that Gyarados.

Just now, Garblon said:

By checking the hall of fame in-game, I already know that the Nickname, species, OT name, and moves are saved. The game also displays whether the Pokemon is shiny or not due to the fact that the shiny Gyarados that I had during my first few elite 4 runs was still red. Luckily, I still have that Gyarados.

Hence,
You could start searching your save in HexEditor (HxD) for the nickname in hex.

I found a first hall of fame first Nickname at 2300E, and second nickname at 23048 so its all around there.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Hence,
You could start searching your save in HexEditor (HxD) for the nickname in hex.

I found a first hall of fame first Nickname at 2300E, and second nickname at 23048 so its all around there.

Okay, thanks for the help! :D

2 minutes ago, Garblon said:

Okay, thanks for the help! :D

No prob.
Chances are, you'll have to recreate Pokemon.

Start with a base Pokemon captured at correct location,
then swap in the Hall of Fame OT, TID/SID, PID, Moves and Species, you'll pretty much have a "genetically modified" clone of your old precious!

I'll advise you to run the TID and PID combo in RNG generator to get the correct IVs.
(In Gen III and IV, PID is tied with IV and gender and ability, if I'm not mistaken)

9 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

No prob.
Chances are, you'll have to recreate Pokemon.

Start with a base Pokemon captured at correct location,
then swap in the Hall of Fame OT, TID/SID, PID, Moves and Species, you'll pretty much have a "genetically modified" clone of your old precious!

I'll advise you to run the TID and PID combo in RNG generator to get the correct IVs.
(In Gen III and IV, PID is tied with IV and gender and ability, if I'm not mistaken)

That was generally the plan, since I had to do that with the lost Pokemon that I recovered from my W&W2 hall of fame(s).

EDIT: After extracting a few pokemon, I realized that something was off; the pokemon were in pk2 format, with completely incorrect data. Here's my original save file that I was using to try to use. I have no Idea what I'm doing wrong, I'm even usingthe right software & nearly everything! 

Edited by Garblon
EDIT1:Ran into a problem... EDIT2:Removed save file
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

what program are you using.
can you specify how you're ending up with Pk2s?

I used HxD on my save file to get 3B sized files that can only work on gen 1 & 2 games. Anything larger or smaller than 3B resulted in a null file in pkhex.

EDIT: I the received the files at the area that was previously mentioned.

Edited by Garblon

6 minutes ago, Garblon said:

I used HxD on my save file to get 3B sized files that can only work on gen 1 & 2 games. Anything larger or smaller than 3B resulted in a null file in pkhex.

EDIT: I the received the files at the area that was previously mentioned.

You aren't supposed to import those extracted files into Pkhex, it doesn't work like that.

You're supposed to analyze the hex data, match them to relevant IDs
(attack IDs, Species ID etc) and then key (not paste) that relevant information into Pkhex.

PKhex won't convert the file for you, you'll have to create it from scratch, as said earlier.

Simply put, there isn't an automated-conversion type of program out there,
you're basically reconstructing the Pokemon from the information in the Hall of Fame entry from your save
(which now that I think about it, can be done simply by viewing the Pokemon in-game, with the exception of the actual PID.

2 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

You aren't supposed to import those extracted files into Pkhex, it doesn't work like that.

You're supposed to analyze the hex data, match them to relevant IDs
(attack IDs, Species ID etc) and then key (not paste) that relevant information into Pkhex.

PKhex won't convert the file for you, you'll have to create it from scratch, as said earlier.

Simply put, there isn't an automated-conversion type of program out there,
you're basically reconstructing the Pokemon from the information in the Hall of Fame entry from your save
(which now that I think about it, can be done simply by viewing the Pokemon in-game, with the exception of the actual PID.

Oh. Well, I feel kind of stupid then...

I just wish I could get their real PID's, but I think I can live without them for now.

Gender, Ability and Nature can be calculated from PID (PKhex may calculate that for you in Gen IV mode).
IVs will require user to calculate it via RNG reporter.

I personally think that converting HOF to an actual Pokemon on the program may still be a bad idea,
since Location and Origin information will be entirely missing,
and it'll probably be better for the user to decide that information.

Allowing it to be a viewer however, is easy to do.

I've attached the Viewer that'll work for HGSS.

2 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

Gender, Ability and Nature can be calculated from PID (PKhex may calculate that for you in Gen IV mode).
IVs will require user to calculate it via RNG reporter.

I personally think that converting HOF to an actual Pokemon on the program may still be a bad idea,
since Location and Origin information will be entirely missing,
and it'll probably be better for the user to decide that information.

Allowing it to be a viewer however, is easy to do.

I've attached the Viewer that'll work for HGSS.

Thanks! With this, I can simply make a copy of a Pokemon that I previously caught/obtained, and simply overwrite the copy's data with the Hall of Fame Pokemon's data!

11 minutes ago, Garblon said:

Thanks! With this, I can simply make a copy of a Pokemon that I previously caught/obtained, and simply overwrite the copy's data with the Hall of Fame Pokemon's data!

If you can wait, I'm uploading a newer version that'll export the them as a .pk4,
and it is primarily working for me.

edit:
Newer Version uploaded.

2 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

If you can wait, I'm uploading a newer version that'll export the them as a .pk4,
and it is primarily working for me.

Ok, I'll wait. the good thing is the Now I can see all of the Pokemon from my hall of fame, in the correct order, with all information minus IV's, EV's, and met conditions. (I may be forgetting something)

4 minutes ago, Garblon said:

Ok, I'll wait. the good thing is the Now I can see all of the Pokemon from my hall of fame, in the correct order, with all information minus IV's, EV's, and met conditions. (I may be forgetting something)

Uploaded!

Pid and species injected, (not sure which offset stores forme in the Hall of Fame)
I've should have calculated and injected Ability correctly, generated correct (lowest) experience for the level,
(game saves level, while pk4 stores actual experience, not level itself)
nature is read by Pkhex, I'm unsure if pkhex will auto-calculates gender (it should),
but you're still missing Ball caught, met conditions (level, place etc), held item, language.

That probably is all.

• Like 1

Just now, theSLAYER said:

Uploaded!

I've should have calculated and injected Ability correctly, generated correct (lowest) experience for the level,
(game saves level, while pk4 stores actual experience, not level itself)
nature is read by Pkhex, I'm unsure if pkhex will auto-calculates gender (it should),
but you're still missing Ball caught, met conditions (level, place etc), held item, language.

That probably is all.

This is fine. I can met conditions can be found via Serebii/Bulbapedia, I can just guess what pokeball were used (I don't really remember their original pokeballs), all of them were from the US, and They were all holding items that boosted the power of the moves they had (i.e. Twisted Spoon, Mystic Water, ect.).

Thank you for your time & effort to make this! :)