Gen 3 Event Generation Algorithm Research (10ANNIV, etc)

Nintendo dev/prototype cartridge market is pretty big in forums for collectors and most of them have the tools in order to inject roms into the cartridges. So, by having the rom available online, it should be pretty easy for some of them to try and sell more fake distribution cartridges to people who have no idea about the scene release of the gba distribution rom(s).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pMD said:

Let's just hope this thread will get much exposure so people will be aware of the scene release.

@Deoxyz, you may want to upload the rom on popular rom hosting sites, so more people will have access to it.

I was originally going to upload it on emuparadise, but when I made an account, it was all clustercrap and I couldn't figure it out.

Is there a main place where all/many distribution roms are available? When I looked for DS distro roms a year or two ago, it was a scavenger hunt with a few roms here and there in obscure places.

12 minutes ago, pMD said:

Devaluation? No.

There will be people though who will inject the rom into dev cartridges and try to sell these carts as official distribution carts.

Just like with the Mew save, hopefully we can make it become fairly well known, so people will be aware it is public and can be cautious. At the same time, if we see an increase in 10ANNIV carts on eBay, it'll eventually suffer like the Mystery Mew carts have done. Though it seems like it would be just as much of a risk as flashing new roms onto DS carts.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pMD said:

Nintendo dev/prototype cartridge market is pretty big in forums for collectors and most of them have the tools in order to inject roms into the cartridges. So, by having the rom available online, it should be pretty easy for some of them to try and sell more fake distribution cartridges to people who have no idea about the scene release of the gba distribution rom(s).

Outlandish claims should really be backed up with proof. I have reason to believe that altering these carts is harder than you think. Like we said before. It's the responsibility of the people buying these carts to know what they're buying. It's 2016, these should have been released a long time ago and it's just halting progress when you don't.

With ajxpk wanting to research trash bytes and people talking about creating distribution tools. I think somebody said something about using Triggers PC as a distribution method for example. 

It would also be completely unbelievable if now that the cart has been dumped, 2 dozen distro carts suddenly showed up on Ebay. 

14 minutes ago, ajxpk said:

I actually don't really see any devaluation.
A cartridge is a cartridge and dumped ROM is a dumped ROM.
It's just my opinion. But I believe collectors would still pay a lot to have the real cartridge.
At least that's what I believe... Everything else regarding this is already said I think.
I'm actually happy that this finally happened.

Me, being one of those collectors. They hold just as much value as they ever have. 

6 minutes ago, Deoxyz said:

Is there a main place where all/many distribution roms are available? When I looked for DS distro roms a year or two ago, it was a scavenger hunt with a few roms here and there in obscure places.

You wouldn't happen to have any of those, would you? I've only managed to find 2 and currently can't dump my own. A PM with links would be greatly appreciated it you'd be willing/able to help. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

This doesn't distribute to non-english (including german)?

I remembered it supposed to be european territories,but I guess I remembered it wrongly :/

This was the UK 10th Anniversary distro, but I'll check one of my Japanese carts. I'll edit in the result.

EDIT: Nope. English-only.

Edited by Invader TAK
  • Like 1

Flashing GBA roms into dev/prototype cartridges is as easy as one, two, three... especially when we are talking about collectors and people who know what to do. The easier the access to rare roms, the higher the chances of someone taking advantage of them in order to make money if the scene release of the rom does not get much exposure.

Also, you don't even need to have any tool in order to flash roms into dev/prototype carts. You could just spend ~$20 to get a cheap prototype cartridge and after you get the link protocol, you can have it implemented into a custom or a commercial gba flashcard which could be used for flashing the roms. There was a whole market for the protocol many years ago but it got shut down, possibly by Nintendo.

I think I've made my point of view clear before. There is no need for me to repeat myself.

1 minute ago, theSLAYER said:

This doesn't distribute to non-english (including german)?

I remembered it supposed to be european territories,but I guess I remembered it wrongly :/

The guy I purchased it from has all the European language carts for 10ANNIV, plus the English Aurora Ticket(I'll have it soon), and a bit of others he couldn't talk about due to legal reasons.

I don't think he has any duplicates of the other languages, and I doubt he'd give me the roms.

Just now, Deoxyz said:

The guy I purchased it from has all the European language carts for 10ANNIV, plus the English Aurora Ticket(I'll have it soon), and a bit of others he couldn't talk about due to legal reasons.

I don't think he has any duplicates of the other languages, and I doubt he'd give me the roms.

as long as you verified it's the real deal, then its no biggie.

Having one is better than none, I guess I misunderstood the nature of the event.

Like, "a rom that distributes to all languages. imagine queuing up, then they tell you you're at the wrong line, cause wrong language"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pMD said:

Flashing GBA roms into dev/prototype cartridges is as easy as one, two, three... especially when we are talking about collectors and people who know what to do. The easier the access to rare roms, the higher the chances of someone taking advantage of them in order to make money if the scene release of the rom does not get much exposure.

Also, you don't even need to have any tool in order to flash roms into dev/prototype carts. You could just spend ~$20 to get a cheap prototype cartridge and after you get the link protocol, you can have it implemented into a custom or a commercial gba flashcard which could be used for flashing the roms. There was a whole market for the protocol many years ago but it got shut down, possibly by Nintendo.

I think I've made my point of view clear before. There is no need for me to repeat myself.

I don't have much knowledge of these dev carts, but assuming the labels vary or aren't even on some these carts, wouldn't it be easier to spot a fake GBA distro cart if they don't have the DIP switch label on the cart? With a bit of public images, assuming the labels vary, that could clear up any legitimacy confusion someone could have about potential counterfeits.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deoxyz said:

I don't have much knowledge of these dev carts, but assuming the labels vary or aren't even on some these carts, wouldn't it be easier to spot a fake GBA distro cart if they don't have the DIP switch label on the cart? With a bit of public images, assuming the labels vary, that could clear up any legitimacy confusion someone could have about potential counterfeits.

by the way, did it come with a save file? emulators aren't creating one for it.

6 minutes ago, Deoxyz said:

I'd love to have that Aurora Ticket ROM.

Edited by Invader TAK

1 minute ago, Deoxyz said:

Someone could bypass this by printing new labels. There is a website for label preservation and it used to include 100% scans of the nintndo dev cart labels. I don't know if they are still on that site or if they are taken down.

1 minute ago, pMD said:

Someone could bypass this by printing new labels. There is a website for label preservation and it used to include 100% scans of the nintndo dev cart labels. I don't know if they are still on that site or if they are taken down.

you have the link to said site?

10 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

by the way, did it come with a save file? emulators aren't creating one for it.

I'm 99% positive that these don't create save files.

11 minutes ago, Invader TAK said:

I'd love to have that Aurora Ticket ROM.

Send me a PM approx early-mid February :^)

• Like 1

@theSLAYER, here's a pic of the Nintndo prototype label. The text is listed below:

Spoiler

AGBカートリッジ 128MフラッシュS
ディップスイッチの設定

SW3はライトプロテクト用切替えスイッチです。ライターでの書込み時のみOFF、それ意外はONにして使用してください。
スライドスイッチの故障を防ぐ為、ピンセットなどで切替えてください。

Which translates to:

AGB Cartridge, 128M Flash S
Dip switch settings

SW3 is the write protection switch. Please only switch it to OFF for writing, otherwise keep it in the ON setting.  In order to prevent failures, please switch the slide switch using tweezers.

Edited by pMD
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, pMD said:

@theSLAYER, here's a pic of the Nintndo prototype label. The text is listed below:

Reveal hidden contents

Saw that type of cart on that one ebay seller.

I was thinking if it'll be more unique/have differences.

at the very least, the glossy sticker look like it'll tear or something when tempered with..

17 minutes ago, pMD said:

@Deoxyz, do those "legal reasons" involve legal agreements and contracts between an italian source and "former Nintendo employees"?

I'm not gonna talk about it much in the thread here, but send me a PM if there's anything you know about that that I should know.